All reviews continental breakfast great view of the harbor watch the cruise ships front desk ship channel dolphin tour tall ship walking distance light switches rooms are large small hotel boutique hotel pre cruise stay cruise port sister property two blocks per day
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

This hotel has a lot to offer! Among the many positives of our stay were:

*Dee was very kind and helpful to us at check-in. There was also another staff member (dark hair, pulled back) who was warm and gracious.
*Our room was remarkably open and spacious. We had a comfortable bed, a refrigerator, and plenty of room for all of our stuff.
*It was 90 degrees in Galveston during our visit but the air conditioning in our room worked very well. I loved that there was also a ceiling fan.
*I had no idea that staying on the harbor side of the island would be this great. Restaurants, shops, museums, boat tours, so much in walking distance! And if you’re cruising, this hotel is perfectly located. It was fun to watch the cruise ships sail away with all their happy passengers. Dolphins entertained us as we watched.
*We had a beautiful water view from our window.
*The bathroom had a large walk-in shower that did not leak water on the floor as so many do.

A few areas for improvement:

*There was one staff member who could use a bit more hospitality training. We encountered her twice when returning to the hotel and both times she did not greet us or even make eye contact when we entered.
*As cool and comfortable as our room was, the bathroom was oddly hot and airless. It may have been our specific room location because I have not seen this in other reviews. And although our room was generally clean, there was black mold on the grout in the shower. I’m sure it’s difficult to prevent this with the warmth and humidity but it needed attention. Those same weather conditions are also probably what caused the bathroom door to stick.
*Our room decor was attractive but the walls could use a coat of paint and the lighting was dim.
*Some reviewers have been disappointed in the breakfast but the hotel information clearly states that it is a continental breakfast; they don’t promise a hot buffet. There were breads and muffins, cereal, oatmeal cups, juice, and coffee. The apple juice, however, was like apple flavored water.

So that is my honest review! I want to emphasize, however, that the positives greatly exceed the negatives. We had a great stay.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018

I have stayed in a lot of the hotels that the city offers, however had yet to stay at the Harbor House until recently - after my stay, I can 100% say that I will be stay there for every future Galveston getaway. Below are a few thoughts on the hotel location, the staff who work there, and the room/hotel itself.

LOCATION:
I am SO glad I didn't book one of the hotels that are right on the beach like I usually do. At first, I was a little unsure about the location of Harbor House, as the all the other hotels I had ever stayed at were right on the beach (I only stayed at past hotels for the location as I want to see the ocean as much as I can when I visit Galveston).
I was ridiculously pleased with the location of Harbor House once we arrived. This hotel is right on the pier and our window looked out to the ocean & the boats that came in which was cool to watch. It was also literally a two minute drive to the main beach.
Also, downtown Galveston is a block away & is an easy walking distance to all of the local bars, restaurants, and shops. Lastly, there are two wonderful restaurant/bars located on the hotel property which was super convenient and where I had my birthday dinner at (right next to the water...exactly what I wanted). Great location!

STAFF:
I would like to give a huge thank you to Dee who was working the front desk each day we stayed at Harbor House. She went above and beyond and genuinely cares about the guests staying at Harbor House.
Firstly, she was SO sweet and knowledgeable. Not only was she knowledgeable about the property itself, she also was very knowledgable about the city. We were not sure where we should eat a few times and she made great recommendations of places we had never been before.
She also gave us a very nice & helpful call before we arrived at the hotel to let us know where guest parking is/where to park + what information we needed to bring with us when checking in (something I wish all hotels would do). When we walked in she greeted us with an extremely warm welcome and when I told her who I was for the reservation, she happily remembered talking to me and was genuinely happy to welcome us to the hotel.
Every time we saw her she was engaging and personable. I also saw her interactions with other guests and she was just as helpful and kind to them as she was to us - we actually struck up a conversation with a couple we met on the elevator when going to our room and they both made comments about how great she was as well!
In addition to Dee, we spoke to a few other staff who were also so polite, nice, and helpful.
I can't say enough about the great staff at Harbor House. Thank you to them for making an already wonderful trip even better.

HOTEL/ROOM:
Firstly, this hotel is SO cool aesthetically. It is a smaller hotel and is in no way like the large corporate hotel chains that all look the same and don't have uniqueness or have originality. This hotel is very unique and VERY clean.
There are only three floors which makes getting around the hotel very easy. The lobby is small and decorated very modern.
The room we stayed at was on the 3rd floor and was simply beautiful. Not tacky at all and was super up to date and modern as well. The very cool thing about the room we were in was that the windows opened fully - we were facing the water front which allowed for the fresh air and smell of the sea to come into our room...something I really liked a lot. The bathroom and shower were super modern and really pretty and had a ton of mirrors. I felt like I was living in a very luxury apartment for a few days (I wish my apartment looked like this room did). I have been to many resorts and this room was nicer than a lot of those at the resorts.
Also included in the room was a huge TV with all the channels as well as two mini fridges along the large built in counter. Also had really cool furniture in the room such as a lounger chair that looked like something out of a West Elm catalog and these SUPER cool bed lamps that I would love to have in my own home. Actually, the whole hotel looked like it was professionally decorated by West Elm! Luxurious, modern, and unique. Bed was comfortable and clean and room had AC/heat. 10/10!

FINAL THOUGHTS:
After staying here once, Harbor House has gained a new customer for life. From here on out I will be staying at Harbor House every time I visit Galveston. I really can't say one bad thing about this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone who is unsure where to stay when visiting Galveston.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room that looks out towards the water, however that is a personal preference. 3rd floor was a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Christine H, Public Relations Manager at Harbor House Hotel & Marina at Pier 21, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Jenni - Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and kind review of Harbor House. We are thrilled you chose our hotel for your birthday. And, we love we made a home run with your stay. We truly look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We had a view of the cruise ships coming in. Love the hotel, love the location. However, the room was less than clean. Walls need a paint job. Bathroom tub grout was black and missing in places. We were right over Olympia Grill, so the noise level was high until they closed . Positives are the l ation and relatively up to date. Self parking a plus. We will be back- hopefully in a different room.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business

Vivian - we appreciate your kind review of Harbor House. We are pleased you love the location and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

Loved this place it is located in the perfect location for family fun as well as a nice couples getaway! Not to mention a beautiful view!! Miss Dee at the front desk will give you all the insight on things to do, see and eat! She is the best!!! Hope to see you again Miss Dee!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Cyndi R

Cyndi - We appreciate your kind review of Harbor House Hotel and thank you for mentioning Dee. She is a true asset to the hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2018

My wife and I have stayed at the Harbor House several times before hopping on a Carnival Cruise the next morning. The rooms are very comfortable, the staff is so warm and friendly (especially Ms. Dee) and we love being on the dock with so many great restaurants within walking distance to choose from for dinner. Free WIFI provided along with a continental breakfast. Also there is a Starbucks within a short walk away.

Our stay earlier this month was no exception. The hotel called us a few weeks before our arrival informing us that they needed to make some improvements in one specific guest room area of the hotel. To not inconvenience guests, they asked if we would like to be relocated to their sister property, The Tremont House, at no additional cost.

Now the Tremont is a fine hotel too but I asked to stay at the Harbor House. Reason was I had a couple travelling with us that were taking their first cruise and I wanted them to have that view of the ship when they awoke in their room the next morning. I'll post a picture of that view.

Just FYI - the cruise ship terminal is a fairly short walk away but the Harbor House will allow you to park in their parking lot for the duration of the cruise for $12 per night. The Hotel Galvez, also a sister hotel, will shuttle you to the ship with your luggage. I however, prefer to move my vehicle to Galveston Park N Cruise located on New Strand at 25th St, across the street from the cruise terminal.

Kudos Harbor House for another delightful stay and thank you Ms. Dee for being the charming person you are.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the cruise terminal/cruise ship.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Harbor House for your pre-cruise stay. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and we love you appreciate the location. We hope to see you again soon.