“Below average stay”

Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Houston, Texas
“Below average stay”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed at the Harbor house on a Friday night. Saturday, my family and I tried the continental breakfast. We found out one of the croissants had mold on it. I informed the front desk agent. She tried to let the continental breakfast attendant know about it but couldn't because of a language barrier. I was told that a manager would call me at 9am, when they arrived on property. 9am came and went with no call. Upon check out, the front desk agent did not proactively address my concern so I asked her about it. She said that she would comp my $10.00 parking fee. I rated this hotel below average because of this. Guest room accommodations are average. And because this is a very small hotel, they often have only one person on staff, thus guest requests have a slow response.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Houston_Travel_12
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I booked 5 rooms from Harbor House house for the 10th of December. I also booked a room on the 3rd of December, because I wasnt certain which date I would actually take my cruise. To my knowledge I canceled the room on the 3rd and kept the others. I called throughout the year to verify reservations and the receptionist verified my rooms. I called at least 3 times prior just for verification. Never did the guy say "you have a reservation on the 3rd and the 10th. After returning home checking my bank statement, a payment had been deducted for $113.85. When I called to inquire they said I had a GNS (guaranteed no show). I explained that I transferred my reservation to the 10th, I also called numerous times to verify reservation, of course they had no record. They charged my card and till this day I have not recieved my money. Never will I stay
again. NEVER!!!!

Room Tip: Never use your debit card, always get your cancelation number.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank drreed1121
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Harbor House, responded to this review, 14 January 2012
Thanks for your post. While my intent would be to never debate a guest on Tripadvisor you tell a completely different story here than when you called the hotel directly. When you called us you stated you forgot to cancel the earlier date. We held the room for you as we do all our guests and if you do not show up we have no choice but to charge you. The date you reserved was also a sellout night during Dickens on the Strand so we really had little choice but to charge you. I am sorry if you feel this is unfair.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 January 2012

First the good, the staff was responsive and good natured. The location was great for Dickens on the Strand. You are within walking distance of restaurants. But, parking was a joke. Even though they have a private lot, there was not enough parking (finding the entrance to the lot when we first arrived was a task in itself). And you get to pay $10 extra a night for that. The rooms were poorly lit. They had electronic light controls that were indecipherable. The sink was cracked. While the room itself looked nice, the bathroom was very dated. The mattress was very firm. Also, when I checked in, I told the clerk that I was surprsed that the web site had no AAA/AARP discounts. I was told that to get those discounts, I had to call for a reservation. Needless to say, I was not offerred a reduction. All in all, overpriced for what we got.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank aurbn
Thanks for staying with us. I'm glad you found our staff helpful but we should have adjusted your rate for the AAA/AARP discount. I am sorry about the parking situation. The success of the cruise ships hadsincreased our challenges with parking although we have made some changes to rectify this so please give us another try when you come back.
Whitney, TX
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My wife and I arrived at the Harbor House a bit earlier than we anticipated on Wednesday, December 14th. (Driving through Houston at any time of day is problematic.) The small lobby was cheerfully decorated and the lady who checked us in, Linda, was just as cheerful. She found us a room (early) and gave us the rundown on the local eating establishments along with a couple of coupons for free appetizers at a couple of them.

Our second floor room was very clean, tastefully decorated, and had an excellent view of Galveston Harbor. We were scheduled to depart on a short 4-day cruise the following morning, so this allowed us to keep an eye out for our ship. After settling in, we walked over to the Fisherman's Wharf restaurant for an excellent seafood lunch (including one of those free appetizers).

If you are going on a cruise from Galveston and stay at the Harbor House, they will let you park your car there for the duration of the cruise at a much lower rate than any of the other nearby parking lots --- plus it is in walking distance of the cruise line pier. We are both 74 and managed the walk with suitcases very easily.

We thought we had everything set up until the next morning when we awoke to find Galveston Harbor enshrouded in a dense fog. Instead of boarding our ship at noon, we had to hang around that area until 9 PM that night. The personnel at the Harbor House were very helpful in keeping us updated on the ship's status and they let us watch TV in their small second floor sitting room until it was time to board our ship.

If we ever return to Galveston, we will certainly stay at the Harbor House again.

Room Tip: Room was equipped with a refrigerator and a microwave. The even numbered rooms (higher numbers) have...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JoeKent
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 10 December 2011

If you want to see 'old' Galveston you have to stay here. We stayed 'off season' and had a good rate. In summertime it is much to expensive, but you are in walking distance of the strand, the harbour and good restaurants.
During our stay not many visitors and a quiet night sleep, but we think in high season it is very noisy, skip sleeping here in the weekends, or party with the rest. Also when it is very quiet you can hear the Creek restaurant below (good food by the way).
One minor thing, it is very dark in the rooms at night, we like romantic light, but you cannot even read a book or folder at night, ask for Xtra light, they will bring it immediately.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple