“Not Just Tex Mex”

La Escondido Mexican Grill
Ranked #11 of 120 Restaurants in Friendswood
Reviewed 15 April 2016

New to Friendswood, La Escondido has enjoyed a good reputation for many years in Missouri City. I have only visited once (they opened a couple weeks ago) but am impressed with the food and atmosphere. It's a somewhat upscale Mexican restaurant with cream colored walls and chocolate ceiling tiles & floor tiles--no bright colors and Christmas lights here. It has a hacienda feel. Prices are a dollar or two more than most Mexican cafes, but worth it, I think. Nice patio with view of fountain. Red sauce appeared to be made with roasted tomatoes, but I would have preferred more kick (and more salt which I added--I usually don't add salt at the table). A nice surprise, a small bowl of black refried beans is offered alongside the salsa for dipping. The menu has many selections, which they claim are old family recipes, from the interior of Mexico. However, I chose a Tex Mex combo platter in order to sample more than one item. I forget the name of the dish, but it came with the standard rice & refried beans (both good), guacamole, beef taco al carbon (fantastic!) and 2 cheese enchiladas which I substituted for beef--outstanding. The star of the plate was the taco al carbon. It came wrapped in the best homemade flour tortilla I've had in years! What the meat lacked in smokiness, it made up for in tenderness. Usually, the tacos are just fajita meat wrapped in the tortillia, but this baby came with exceptional homemade chili con queso & pico de gallo for some heat. My waiter, Gabriel, was on his game. This is the type of dining establishment that I will come back and explore the menu.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.