“Don't miss this museum”

and up
Texas LBJ Ranch and Hill Country Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Formerly the Nimitz Museum, the complex is now the only museum in the Continental United States centered on World War II's Pacific campaign. Since 1968, the Museum has expanded to occupy a six-acre campus and gained a reputation as one of the premier military museums in the nation. Over the years the Museum was upgraded and enlarged, and the campus grew to accommodate the Memorial Courtyard, the Plaza of Presidents and the Japanese Garden of Peace. We opened the expanded George H. W. Bush Gallery in 2009. The Gallery's state-of-the-art 33,000 square foot exhibition features 40 media installations, approximately 900 artifacts in 97 climate-controlled cases, 15 macro-artifacts, and hundreds of photographs. Two blocks east of the main campus is the Pacific Combat Zone. Recently reopened after an $8 million renovation. The PCZ is also home to our popular WWII Pacific Combat Program that takes place on set weekends throughout the year.
Reviewed 22 December 2008

For those of you, like myself, who toured this museum some years ago, you should tour it again, as I have. Attractions have been added. There are two parts to the museum. One is the inside part which has photos and other memorabilia pertaining to the war in the Pacific during WW2. A short walk from there is the other part which has, among other things, a torpedo bomber of the type Bush Sr. flew during the war and a PT boat like JFK skippered. The reason it is located in this small picturesque German town northwest of San Antonio is because it is the birthplace of Admiral Nimitz. Both the town and the museum are reasons to visit here. Allow several hours to tour this museum as there is a lot to see.

1  Thank globeseeker007
"men and women"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 15 April 2008

What a hidden Gem!

I was unaware of this museum until we got to Fredericksburg for some time away from our hectic lives.

I am normally not interested in museums or history. OK, so in this case as a Navy veteran of 25 years I might not be the average customer. But this was great. I spent 3 hours and wished when it was closing time that I had a few more.

A great museum for a great Navy hero! You won't be disappointed.

CAPT Neal Kusumoto

3  Thank NeaLinda
Reviewed 17 March 2008

This is really two museums, the older Nimitz Museum whose entrance is on the corner of US 87 and US 290, and the National Museum of the Pacific War, whose entrance is on the next block north from 290. You can go from one to the other easy enough with one ticket, as we did, starting with the Nimitz and passing through the intervening courtyard and open space between them.

The Pacific Museum was much larger than I expected and extremely impressive. We went to the WWII Museum in New Orleans - see separate review - in December and found it well worth a visit and one of the leading attractions in New Orleans. But this museum is even more impressive, larger and has more interesting exhibits. For instance, it has the complete Japanese miniature submarine captured on January 8, 1941 after it beached on Oahu. It also has a complete B-25 in a room painted to be the deck of the USS Hornet from which the 1942 Tokyo raid was launched.

Between the two museums are memorial walls. These are limestone walls in the open with memorial plaques for individuals, units and ships. See my pictures for examples. I believe there are approximately one thousand of them! These are worth a trip by themselves. They go on and on, each with a story to tell. You get a much more personal feeling about the war from looking at these plaques than you do from the Museum itself as these plaques are paid for and written by individuals, families of veterans and unit associations, often dedicated to those who never made it back. If you are looking for one unit or ship in particular there is a numeric/alphabetical list at the front desk of the Nimitz Museum.

There’s much more. I thought we would be through the Museam in about an hour. We were there nearly three, counting the memorial walls, and could have gone back through it all again. Its very well organized, you are taken through the Pacific War chronologically from campaign to campaign with additional exhibits for things like The Home Front.

3  Thank t515cc
Reviewed 20 May 2006

This is a world class museum. I spent 3 hours there and I don't think I saw more then half of it. Its and end to end history lesson regarding the Pacific War, and by the time I left, it had whet my appetite to learn more about this momentous time in world history. Don't miss it.

5  Thank IftikharKhan