“Clean, quiet, and comfortable”
Review of Dietzel Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fredericksburg
Dietzel Motel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed 5 December 2016

I recently stayed at the Dietzel for the first time in years and was happy to see it was as nice as ever. This place isn't fancy, but if you're looking for a clean, safe, quiet budget motel where you can get a good night's sleep, it fills the bill. Good cable TV, decent wi-fi and a nice peaceful view of a field out back. An added bonus is that you can walk next door to Friedhelm's for dinner.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 November 2016

Several friends and I have stayed at this dated and modest motel 4 times prior to this last weekend. We all were very disappointed in the quality since new ownership has taken over. There was no water pressure in our shower. When we reported it the lady said, " oh yes....that's right". She did offer to move us to another room but we had already unpacked and we had several rooms in a row by friends. It was irritating because the reservations were made 4 weeks in advance. When we ran out of coffee in the room she acted put out to have to go to their storage room for another packet. Our friends coffee pot didn't even work in their room. When she went to the office a second time to get a refill on their coffe, the lady asked, "more coffee??" as if she were the coffee monitor. There is a resident black cat that was scarce in the day but meowed all night and early morning. There are cute little ceramic cowboy boots filled with sand for cigarette butts outside every other room and they were filled with butts. There was also a little pile of sand on the sidewalk that had at least 15 butts in it. This should have been cleaned. The refrigerator has someone else's left over food in it. The price went up also from the previous times we stayed here.
We will not be staying here again. It is sad as we have always enjoyed our stay here in the past.

Room Tip: The ice machine is loud if you are not a sound sleeper.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2016

I will be staying at the Dietzel this Friday after golf at Ladybird, as I have done for many years. It has two distinct advantages. It is very quiet, on the edge of town, with large, comfortable rooms and friendly owners. It is also next to Friedhelm's, the best restaurant in town, and we have tried them all.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

I read many reviews before booking this hotel. It surely gave me the feeling of back to the history: 50 years ago. However the room was clean, sheets were clean, and AC was strong. The hotel was very quite as well. I was also told they are pets friendly so next time I can bring my dog.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016

I have always loved this place, and I've been staying here for years when I'm in Fredericksburg.

With that in mind, I was highly disappointed to learn that the family who had owned and managed it for decades had sold the property. Even so, my wife and I decided to give it a shot with the new owners. I'm glad we did.

The overall simplistic, laid back and relaxing feel of the property is as it's always been, and the rooms are still very clean. The new owners have also updated the carpet and linens, and have placed refrigerators, microwaves, coffee pots, and wi-fi in all of the rooms.

On the downside, maintenance doesn't seem quite as diligent as it once was. There was a light burned out in our room that remained unfixed throughout our stay, and the pool, while still nice, is in need of a little attention due to crumbling stairs and algae growing in spots. None of these items would be enough to keep us away, but the owners would do well to pay a little more attention to the maintenance side of things.

All of that said, the Dietzel is still a very nice relaxing getaway, and I hope to have the chance to return again soon.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple