All reviews mom and pop nice tv last minute trip check in was quick place to stay room was spotless mini fridge nice stay per night king bed in town gazebo retro weekend fb deer
Reviewed 2 November 2016

Several friends and I have stayed at this dated and modest motel 4 times prior to this last weekend. We all were very disappointed in the quality since new ownership has taken over. There was no water pressure in our shower. When we reported it the lady said, " oh yes....that's right". She did offer to move us to another room but we had already unpacked and we had several rooms in a row by friends. It was irritating because the reservations were made 4 weeks in advance. When we ran out of coffee in the room she acted put out to have to go to their storage room for another packet. Our friends coffee pot didn't even work in their room. When she went to the office a second time to get a refill on their coffe, the lady asked, "more coffee??" as if she were the coffee monitor. There is a resident black cat that was scarce in the day but meowed all night and early morning. There are cute little ceramic cowboy boots filled with sand for cigarette butts outside every other room and they were filled with butts. There was also a little pile of sand on the sidewalk that had at least 15 butts in it. This should have been cleaned. The refrigerator has someone else's left over food in it. The price went up also from the previous times we stayed here.
We will not be staying here again. It is sad as we have always enjoyed our stay here in the past.

Room tip: The ice machine is loud if you are not a sound sleeper.
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2016

I will be staying at the Dietzel this Friday after golf at Ladybird, as I have done for many years. It has two distinct advantages. It is very quiet, on the edge of town, with large, comfortable rooms and friendly owners. It is also next to Friedhelm's, the best restaurant in town, and we have tried them all.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

I read many reviews before booking this hotel. It surely gave me the feeling of back to the history: 50 years ago. However the room was clean, sheets were clean, and AC was strong. The hotel was very quite as well. I was also told they are pets friendly so next time I can bring my dog.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2016

I have always loved this place, and I've been staying here for years when I'm in Fredericksburg.

With that in mind, I was highly disappointed to learn that the family who had owned and managed it for decades had sold the property. Even so, my wife and I decided to give it a shot with the new owners. I'm glad we did.

The overall simplistic, laid back and relaxing feel of the property is as it's always been, and the rooms are still very clean. The new owners have also updated the carpet and linens, and have placed refrigerators, microwaves, coffee pots, and wi-fi in all of the rooms.

On the downside, maintenance doesn't seem quite as diligent as it once was. There was a light burned out in our room that remained unfixed throughout our stay, and the pool, while still nice, is in need of a little attention due to crumbling stairs and algae growing in spots. None of these items would be enough to keep us away, but the owners would do well to pay a little more attention to the maintenance side of things.

All of that said, the Dietzel is still a very nice relaxing getaway, and I hope to have the chance to return again soon.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2016

Booked this fairly late after dates of our visit changed to include a Friday night stay and other places I called were booked for Friday. We did not want to stay Wed. and Thurs. night here and then move somewhere else so this was great. This is a very simple but great place to stay. It is reminiscent of the old motor inns we grew up with but is in good shape. The rooms were bright, clean, and the full-length picture window looking out on a field gave it a very open feel. We liked that we could pull our bikes right up to the door. Michelle and Lynn in the front office were both so friendly and helpful, with a lot of information about the area. We will definitely book here the next time and recommend this place to anyone who wants reasonable and simple accomodations. Location was good, too.

Room tip: Rooms 118 and 119 were both kings on the short end. We enjoyed sitting at the tables just down from our rooms.
Date of stay: July 2016