“Great historic hotel; needs more staff; still, a great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Adolphus

The Adolphus
Ranked #16 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
San Francisco, California
“Great historic hotel; needs more staff; still, a great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

After spending 3 days at the Adolphus, I debated back and forth about 4 or 5 stars. If I could give them 4.5 stars, I would. I finally settled on 5 because I really enjoyed my stay, in spite of a number of minor issues that pointed to a lack of adequate staffing that could easily be addressed.

Minor issues? Trash on the lobby of my floor that was never picked up in 3 days. No remote for the VCR in the room that took a day to get replaced. Long valet pickup times. Left my room at 1PM and by 8PM it was still not cleaned--the maid was on my floor and admitted to me that there was not enough staff and apologized. No notepads or pens in the room (they came the 2nd day). The concierge was MIA a lot--at least half the time I came in and out of the lobby.

All these minor things could easily be solved by more staff and/or more management oversight. I can tell you the restaurants (I ate at all 3 of them) had plenty of staff and service was great; whoever is managing the food and beverage is doing a great job.

On the positive side, the hotel has a wonderful lobby and a great staff, and I thoroughly enjoyed my room. The location is great, the food and services are great, and I would definitely stay there again. They just need to step it up a bit.

2 Thank tripwarden
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
granbury, tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband and I were staying overnight in Dallas to attend a concert at Gexa Energy Pavilion. The Adolphus is a wonderful location and convenient for any event near downtown Dallas. In addition it is a short walk to many Dallas restaurants.
Check in at the hotel was as easy as I have ever experienced. I went inside to check in while my husband took care of turning our car over to the valet parking. He and I were both on the way to our room within minutes of arrival. The lobby area was very "old world" and would have been a fun place to sit and people watch if we had the time to kill. Our room was very comfortable, clean, and tastefully decorated, but was nothing extraordinary. My only complaint was that there was only one bath towel and it was a bit flimsy...... not the thick fluffy towels I would have expected at the Adolphus. When I called housekeeping and requested additional towels, they were delivered more quickly than I have ever experienced. The staff at the Adolphus was the most pleasant and attentive that I have seen in any hotel. Any employee was ready to assist at any time. I was especially impressed with the gentleman working the valet parking in the evening. Every time we went in or out, he remembered us and welcomed us back. In the morning we ate breakfast at the Bistro. Our waitress, Petra, was "The Best". She was pleasant, efficient, and made sure that we needed nothing. As a bonus to the wonderful service, we thoroughly enjoyed the Crabmeat Eggs Benedict, and the Texas Scramble. Our stay at the Adolphus was a real treat!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nanski3
winters
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Overall stay the Adlophus was great and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very beautiful and well kept. We stayed in a room with a King size bed with plenty of room and it was very nice and the bed was very comfortable and the view was great. I liked that it was close to many attractions downtown just walking distance. If I have another stay in Dallas I would stay here again. :)

3 Thank judy d
New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Likes: lobby decor and acht. Fitness club, on site dining options. Dislike: cleanliness of room, valet parking responsiveness at early AM departure.
I also like that I could pay 75 bucks via hotels.com but the valet parking is 26$ plus the tipping. Way too much dust in the corners of my room, carpets are way past due and the bathrooms are very dated. Lobby is amazing, so many chairs and nooks to relax and lounge, work, etc.

Room Tip: Ask for exterior view to street. For a big city, the down town is somewhat quiet at night and in the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ray L
miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I was concerned when I read some negative reviews, but I had the best overall experience at this hotel. The staff was great and willing to make every request happen. The hotel was beautiful with the old style mahogany and brass fixtures. The room was gorgeous, although it didn't have a good view, but really- how much time do you spend inside a hotel room looking out the window? I would definitely come here again, and I hope that next time I am able to give the French Room a try!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The Adolphus, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and balanced review. The vast majority of guests who stay with us do, indeed, share your opinion. As with any business that has thousands of patrons, we will stumble occasionally. The world is not perfect and neither are we. But, as you found, our staff has heart and truly wants to make each guest's stay truly exceptional. More often than not, they succeed brilliantly.

Please do come back and experience The French Room at The Adolphus. It is well worth the trip.

Warm regards,