All reviewspolar bearbeluga whalesnorthern lightshudson bayarctic foxesan adventureremote locationunique experienceevery mealfirst classdry suitphoto opportunitiesthe kitchen staffowners and staffyoung malenatural environmentcookies
Reviewed 9 November 2017

We traveled to Seal River Heritage Lodge at the end of October, beginning November for a polar bear photography safari. The weather in this part of the world is very unpredictable and almost unbearably cold. The staff in Winnipeg was very knowledgable and helpful in providing you with the appropriate gear for the climate. If I could give anyone one piece of advice - it would be to listen to the staff and don't think that you know what cold is! We rented every article of clothing possible, brought along liners, socks etc and I was still miserably cold. The lodge has additional items to purchase like hand and foot warmers and that made a huge difference. The lodge is very comfortable and one morning we stayed behind and simply enjoyed the view. The rooms were comfortable and the beds amazing! The best sleeping weather ever! The food is homestyle comfort food with something for everyone. Our only disappointment was being stuck in Churchill for a day rather than flying on to the lodge however the weather is so unpredictable and safety always comes first. Everyone who works at the lodge is exceptional and go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and memorable. This was a very unique vacation and the photo opportunities simply amazing.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teresa18
Reviewed 4 November 2017

We experienced Seal River Heritage Lodge as part of the Churchill Wild Fall Dual Lodge Safari, which was an unforgettable exposure to two exceptionally run lodges in unique settings with fabulous staff and tremendous wildlife.

Each trip is unique with wildlife, northern lights, climate, and landscape dependent on the season and weather. Despite this, I suspect based on the number of similarly wowed guests on other trips that most factors usually cooperate to produce exceptional experiences. Some constants should be the outstanding staff and amazing lodge. Just the existence of such an impressive facility in this remote location is amazing. The staff are especially friendly, from the owners, Mike and Jeannie, to the kitchen staff, to the guides, Andy, Rob, and Bella. Every effort seems to be made to ensure the guests feel welcome, appreciated, and accommodated. The rooms were very comfortable and the meals were fantastic even if overabundant.

From the pictures, I think I would love to see the tundra a flower in the summer, but seeing the animals in their winter coats while bundling up to face the elements of the beginning arctic winter seemed appropriate. We had a photo guide, Andy Skillen, who was both fun to be around and a great teacher. I would recommend the trips with the photo guide if you are serious about wildlife photography.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karl B
Reviewed 3 November 2017

My stay started on 26 october. Our flight into the lodge was delayed a few hours. This upset me as I thought I was missing half a day and photo opportunities.
Well, it turned out it didn't matter.
We had plenty of wildlife on every outing and I got some amazing images. We even saw a wolverine on a caribou carcass and managed to photograph it for over 30 minutes. A very rare occurrence indeed!

The location is removed from Churchill by a small plane flight. The only people we saw were other the guests of the lodge and the staff.
Our hosts Mike and Jeanie and the guides and staff were all super friendly and very hospitable and helpful.
The stay was very comfortable and enjoyable, the food was delicious, the guides were knowledgeable and we always felt safe.

Polar bears, arctic fox, caribou, arctic hares, ptarmigen, raven, ermine, lemmings, northern lights and of course a rare appearance of a wolverine were seen and/or photographed.

The experience of being within spitting distance to a polar bear was wonderful.
We all got some pretty amazing images and met others with an interest in wildlife and photography.

This is a MUST DO trip for anyone serious about photographing the wildlife found in that area.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank alpugh2017
Reviewed 28 October 2017

I have had a chance to travel all over the world and have had many incredible experiences in beautiful places. Seal River Heritage Lodge (via Churchill Wild) is at the top of my list in terms of a first-class adventure that doesn't disappoint in any way whatsoever. I cannot say enough good things about it.

First, the polar bears take your breath away. To be able to walk in the wild and see the bears in their natural environment is the only way -- and the best way -- to see them. We saw 6 or 7 bears during our stay, including a mama and her cub play-fighting. It was something special. We also saw arctic foxes and arctic hares, as well as ptarmigan.

Second, the staff are incredibly passionate. Everyone is professional and fun. It is obvious that the guides truly care about the environment and the bears (and other animals). It is NOT just a job for them. They do this because they love it, and it shows. They are also VERY knowledgeable, and will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about the bears -- and all the other animals you see!

Third, the food is amazing. I am a VERY finicky eater so I actually brought two boxes of snacks with me as I was afraid that I wouldn't like the food and I didn't want to be hungry. I never even touched the snacks while I was there! Every meal was absolutely delicious, and I was always stuffed. Even though you're out walking two times a day (morning and afternoon), do not expect to lose weight on this trip! You'll want to eat everything!

Fourth, the lodge is super cozy and comfortable. Aside from sleeping, you won't be spending any time in your room (although the rooms are comfortable and spacious). If you're not eating or out walking, you'll be hanging in the living area, soaking in the warmth of the fireplace and looking for animals via the huge windows.

This is a bucket-list trip. It's phenomenal. Do it!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Summer G
Reviewed 21 September 2017

This was the trip of a lifetime staying in incredibly remote and luxurious Seal River Lodge. The staff were really welcoming, helpful and the food amazing. We also camped for two nights at Schmok Lake which was a fabulous adventure. Awesome guides who guided our hikes to see polar bear, brown bear, birds galore, wolves, arctic hare the list goes on. The Northern Lights rounded it all off perfectly! I have nothing negative to say at all .. go!!

Room Tip: The are allocated to you so not relevant but all equally gorgeous
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family