All reviewsthe rivercabindecktreeswoods
Reviewed 10 July 2016

My family and I stayed here in December 2015 for a weekend getaway. When we booked, we called and spoke to the front office to arrange for a very late arrival on a Friday night. We arrived in town around 12:30 am on Saturday morning, and we followed the directions given by the front office staff to reach the grounds and to get to our cabin. However, the directions were not clear. It took us about 20 minutes to find our way onto the grounds and another 15 minutes to find our cabin. It had also turned cold outside within hours of our arrival, so when we finally got to our cabin after 4 hours of driving from our home and spending an additional 35 minutes to find the cabin, we were beyond exhausted. When we got in the cabin, the fireplace was going, so we were glad to come in from the cold into the warmth. The wall AC/heater in the bedroom was also on and blowing heat, which was nice. The accommodations were adequate and the décor was nice. However, there were a few “less than awesome” encounters to point out from our stay.
The air quality in the cabin was terrible, and the cabin sleeping areas were overly dusty. My 11 year old son slept on the futon, and thankfully I had packed my own sheets because the futon was very dusty. When I lifted up the futon to fit the sheet onto it, there was quite a bit of dust piled underneath the futon on the floor as well as several large spider webs. In the bedroom, the vents of the wall AC/heater were filled with what looked like black mold. My husband and I both got a sinus infection, complete with bad congestion, from staying here. It started the late night/morning that we arrived; we kept sneezing constantly and then when we blew our noses, the tissue was bloody. I believe my son had a milder case of sinus congestion because he didn't sleep in the room where the black moldy substance was in the vents. We had a short window in town, so we awoke and headed out to take my son to ZDTs and spend family time together. We stopped at the pharmacy to get Kleenex, Sudafed, and echinacea to help our immune system fight because my husband and I were not feeling well after sleeping in the cabin, but we didn't want the trip to be wasted (and our son was excited about ZDTs). So, we pressed on and returned to the cabin later that night.
The next morning, we headed out for home, but it took us over 30 minutes to get on the road due to confusing check out instructions. The front office is not located on site. The instructions inside our cabin gave directions to the front office that managed the property so that we could turn in our keys and check out. To be fair, there was an option to leave the keys in the cabin, but we're used to checking out by physically handing over the keys and making sure everything is accounted for. So, we followed the directions to the front office, but when we arrived, the place was locked up with a sign that said it was closed on Sundays. No where in the instructions inside the cabin did it mention that the front office was closed on Sundays. If this information had been included in the checkout instructions, we would have left the keys in the cabin and not wasted time and energy driving to the front office for checkout, especially when we already weren't feeling well.
Overall, the cabin concept and facility layout was nice. I would just caution against staying here in the off season (non summer), as the maintenance/dusting of the cabins didn't appear thorough. My family was ill for about a week after our stay, which was not fun. I would also caution against coming for the first time after dark because the place was hard to find. Even after you're on the grounds and you park your vehicle, finding the cabin unit can be an adventure. Also, if you checkout on a Sunday, just leave the key inside the cabin.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsRicks76
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

Love love love this place. Quiet and absolutely beautiful. Would so come back. My husband and I came into town to sign our house. Last minute booking of course and we was blown away by this place. Cabin 1 rocks. I can only imagine how the others look.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank victoriamoon43
Reviewed 16 February 2016

We only stayed one night but really enjoyed the atmosphere. Easy check-in. Real nice cabin. (Apache) Great views of the hills and river below. nice walking area around the lake. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 943reggiep
Reviewed 1 January 2016

What a great location, right on the river, great views and a huge porch over looking the river. Just beautiful. We were in a loft cabin. It was nice and clean. The weather was in the low 40's degF and the cabin stayed warm using just the window unit. The loft stairs were very steep, but manageable. It had everything you needed with a fridge, keurig coffee maker, and microwave. Our only complaint was the thin walls. We could hear everything our neighbors were doing…..everything. It was like we were in the room with them as they did everything. Ear Plugs are a must!! I read the other reviews that mentioned the thin walls, but did not realize how bad it was. I would come back but only to a stand alone cabin.

Room Tip: Choose a cabin that is by itself due to the thin walls to avoid hearing your neighbor…or bring ear plugs
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank OleMissTraveler
Reviewed 28 October 2015

Rustic cabin #8 was clean. Except for black mold in the shower.
Had microwave, full frig,and Keurig coffemaker..with a few Kcups..no tea..
Long back porch with a view of the river. Tables and chairs outside.

Our tv did not work and the office is off site! Very thin walls...no sound barrier..

Note:
The steps to loft bedroom are Very steep! Ceiling leaks when it rains.,. Bring dishes, utensils, dish soap etc, because they are not provided..we had a kitchen sink but not all cabins have one..

FUTON downstairs if someone would rather sleep there....linens for it are provided.

Overpriced,....very very small space for the cost,,,

WiFi would not work in our cabin and our families other cabin...

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family