“Amazing views, relaxing, top-notch staff!”

Hideout on the Horseshoe
Reviewed 8 September 2016

A little pricey, but the cabins were great. We shared our deck with another cabin. We didn't realize there's only a microwave in the cabins (no cooktop), but our cabin neighbors were kind enough to invite us over for breakfast! Cabins are right on the river so they have busses running constantly to take you 2 minutes up the road to go on the river with your inner tube. Cool thing about the Hideout that we loved was you float the river for about an hour and a half and then the Hideout has its own outdoor rock patio on the river so we would pull out there, walk up to our cabin, and make our sandwiches and eat our lunch and then get back for the other hour of the float. Everybody was so incredibly nice. I've never, ever seen such an incredible group who cared and loved their job so much and wanted you to have the best time possible. One night we missed the van to take us home. No problem. They radioed and they had a van there to take us back to our cabin. They are incredible. So of course I had to find out where they got this group of people. Most of them are local school teachers, coaches, and even on that was one of our favorites was a local principal for a junior high and this is their summer job and they are so appreciative to have the summer job. The owner must really, really take care of his employees because it is like one big family and they were there to help each other. My friend who has fished in every river in Texas, (or so he thought) was with us, and the driver of our van was also a geography teacher and she told him about two more rivers that he needed to go and fish in Texas. He was so delighted and kept saying boy, she knows her rivers! It was absolutely perfect. The view was incredible! I would recommend doing a weekend and floating the river there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

My family and I stayed here in December 2015 for a weekend getaway. When we booked, we called and spoke to the front office to arrange for a very late arrival on a Friday night. We arrived in town around 12:30 am on Saturday morning, and we followed the directions given by the front office staff to reach the grounds and to get to our cabin. However, the directions were not clear. It took us about 20 minutes to find our way onto the grounds and another 15 minutes to find our cabin. It had also turned cold outside within hours of our arrival, so when we finally got to our cabin after 4 hours of driving from our home and spending an additional 35 minutes to find the cabin, we were beyond exhausted. When we got in the cabin, the fireplace was going, so we were glad to come in from the cold into the warmth. The wall AC/heater in the bedroom was also on and blowing heat, which was nice. The accommodations were adequate and the décor was nice. However, there were a few “less than awesome” encounters to point out from our stay.
The air quality in the cabin was terrible, and the cabin sleeping areas were overly dusty. My 11 year old son slept on the futon, and thankfully I had packed my own sheets because the futon was very dusty. When I lifted up the futon to fit the sheet onto it, there was quite a bit of dust piled underneath the futon on the floor as well as several large spider webs. In the bedroom, the vents of the wall AC/heater were filled with what looked like black mold. My husband and I both got a sinus infection, complete with bad congestion, from staying here. It started the late night/morning that we arrived; we kept sneezing constantly and then when we blew our noses, the tissue was bloody. I believe my son had a milder case of sinus congestion because he didn't sleep in the room where the black moldy substance was in the vents. We had a short window in town, so we awoke and headed out to take my son to ZDTs and spend family time together. We stopped at the pharmacy to get Kleenex, Sudafed, and echinacea to help our immune system fight because my husband and I were not feeling well after sleeping in the cabin, but we didn't want the trip to be wasted (and our son was excited about ZDTs). So, we pressed on and returned to the cabin later that night.
The next morning, we headed out for home, but it took us over 30 minutes to get on the road due to confusing check out instructions. The front office is not located on site. The instructions inside our cabin gave directions to the front office that managed the property so that we could turn in our keys and check out. To be fair, there was an option to leave the keys in the cabin, but we're used to checking out by physically handing over the keys and making sure everything is accounted for. So, we followed the directions to the front office, but when we arrived, the place was locked up with a sign that said it was closed on Sundays. No where in the instructions inside the cabin did it mention that the front office was closed on Sundays. If this information had been included in the checkout instructions, we would have left the keys in the cabin and not wasted time and energy driving to the front office for checkout, especially when we already weren't feeling well.
Overall, the cabin concept and facility layout was nice. I would just caution against staying here in the off season (non summer), as the maintenance/dusting of the cabins didn't appear thorough. My family was ill for about a week after our stay, which was not fun. I would also caution against coming for the first time after dark because the place was hard to find. Even after you're on the grounds and you park your vehicle, finding the cabin unit can be an adventure. Also, if you checkout on a Sunday, just leave the key inside the cabin.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsRicks76
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

Love love love this place. Quiet and absolutely beautiful. Would so come back. My husband and I came into town to sign our house. Last minute booking of course and we was blown away by this place. Cabin 1 rocks. I can only imagine how the others look.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank victoriamoon43
Reviewed 16 February 2016

We only stayed one night but really enjoyed the atmosphere. Easy check-in. Real nice cabin. (Apache) Great views of the hills and river below. nice walking area around the lake. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 943reggiep
Reviewed 1 January 2016

What a great location, right on the river, great views and a huge porch over looking the river. Just beautiful. We were in a loft cabin. It was nice and clean. The weather was in the low 40's degF and the cabin stayed warm using just the window unit. The loft stairs were very steep, but manageable. It had everything you needed with a fridge, keurig coffee maker, and microwave. Our only complaint was the thin walls. We could hear everything our neighbors were doing…..everything. It was like we were in the room with them as they did everything. Ear Plugs are a must!! I read the other reviews that mentioned the thin walls, but did not realize how bad it was. I would come back but only to a stand alone cabin.

Room Tip: Choose a cabin that is by itself due to the thin walls to avoid hearing your neighbor…or bring ear p...