All reviewshiking trailsget awaylake buchananrv parkrocking chairsbring your owneagles resortbreakfast buffetnature preserveeagle eyewild boarfull hookupsfire pitplace is greatlake viewrestaurant staffhill country
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Spent two nights at this resort and found it to be very nice and peaceful. Staff was very friendly and helpful. NO TV in rooms but they provide TV (in a separate building),WI-FI and other programs. A great location if you enjoy nature, views, water, and no noise. Our room was the single queen and was very clean and in good shape. What great views in all locations of the resort. The grounds were keep up and very clean. They provide a restaurant and lounge, for you are about 20 miles from town. We will go back in the Spring.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are the best
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Whitney N, Manager at Canyon of the Eagles Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Hello bobal59,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we really appreciate you choosing us as your Hill Country Getaway. Our staff prides itself on making sure each visitor has the same great experience and we appreciate you letting us know that we achieved that goal. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future here at Canyon of the Eagles.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Absolutely will go back as soon as we can, the first chance we get! Everyone we met was so nice - Staff and guests!
The view from "Sunset Point" is phenomenal. Actually saw a small mountain range in the distance from here. Found out from one of the very helpful staff, the mountain is called "Packsaddle Peak".
If you love nature, birds, kayaking, stargazing, hiking, even a little live music and a fine beverage at the end of the day.
Rooms are rustic - ours was immaculate. Impressive for such a wild location. The pool was clean and so very enjoyable. A waterfall flows from a small "grotto" pool. Even the crushed granite grounds are perfectly zen-raked.
Restaurant is wonderful. Food is great. Chef knows "how to wow". Coffee is offered there from around 7am. for early hikers.

Bet you love it !!

Room Tip: AC can be a little noisy so thought it might keep me awake - not at all, "white noise".
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Whitney N, Manager at Canyon of the Eagles Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2017

Hello Joanne S. ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Our staff here at Canyon of the Eagles is trained and works to make sure every visitor has the same excellent experience and we are delighted that you were able to experience that and we are so appreciative that you took the time out of your day to share with us. Thank you so much and we look forward to seeing you again very soon here at Canyon of the Eagles.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Read many of the reviews here before booking and must say that people are for the most part over critical. Stained concrete floors are smart choice in a challenging environment. Room was clean, AC was cold but then again so was the shower. Not to the point of embarrassing shrinkage but barely tolerable. Wonderful spots to sit outside and enjoy the stars and they included switches outside to turn off the "porch lights". Plenty of towels, shampoo...cute furnishings, what's not to like. There is a bar, I can't believe it was as good as is it was restaurant. Just remember your in Texas and order two degrees of doneness under what you want. Ordered a burger med rare it came out a little crunchy. Server took care of it for me and I had a Medium burger out in no time, which is what I wanted. Every dish was great if you like spicy order the Boar cfs. Yummy If you in the mood for chicken the Adobo was juicy spiced just right with a lovely potato gratin and sauteed veggies. Live music on Friday and Saturday nights. The pool looked as if it was being enjoyed by many with a cold one at their side. Down by the boat dock is the little store with ice or sodas, fishing gear any essentials you might need. The Saturday I was there the Austin Astronomical Society had a star party which was open to the public. Free star and planet gazing from large telescopes (25"). The trails are easy and abundant so bring binoculars. I have never seen so many painted buntings in one place before, Also, northern cardinal, Greater road runner, deer, bobcat, black-capped vireo, javalina, armadillo, yellow cheeked warbler(endangered) and at the right time of year Eagles and Some mutant kind of black squirrel that had a tail the size of a fox. Easy trails for most. I am old, fat and refuse to wear shoes so anyone can do them. Bring plenty of water if you plan to do more than a short walk.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo

Hello Jackie H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Our staff here at Canyon of the Eagles strives to make sure that every guest has the same excellent experience that you had. We are so happy that you enjoyed most of the amenities that are included with your stay here at COTE, and that they were all up to excellent standards that we work towards here at COTE. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and for taking time to share that experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon here at Canyon of the Eagles.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Choose this place because it allowed Dogs and what a win! Great Hospitality, fun place to just relax, great rooms and location. We cant wait to go back next year and enjoy more of the grounds. Its great for RV also.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hi Juli C,
Thanks for taking the time to review us and we are so excited that you had the excellent experience that we here at Canyon of the Eagles strive for with every visitor. We are so happy that you and your family, including the canine kids had a great time and we are thrilled to be able to host every member of the family here at Canyon of the Eagles. We again want to say how much we appreciate you taking the time to review us and we look forward to seeing you again very soon here at Canyon of the Eagles.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

This review and subsequent rating is primarily about the RV camping at Canyon of the Eagles but does include a few general observations that may be helpful to potential customers and to Calibre Restorts as a company.

First off COTE – Calibre Resorts is a privately operated resort/campground located on a Tax Exempt Nature Preserve owned by the Lower Colorado River Authority. It is a beautiful hill country setting. However, from a camping standpoint, it is certainly no better than the many State Parks around Texas and nowhere near the value that they are. A $45 a night RV site comes with great water pressure, 50 or 30 amp power, sewer connection, a picnic table and access to a well lit shower/restroom facility in a very well laid out little area; but that is all it gets you. RV campers are not considered “overnight” guests. When you see this term on the activities paperwork it means the folks paying for a resort cabin; and if this is an incorrect understanding on my part then the park rules and various information provided need to be reworded.

One issue I had was that my credit card was charged for the full length of my reservation the day after I made it, which was 3 week before the trip. Then, upon check-in they wanted a credit card number. When I asked, “why,” they stated that it was so I could charge at the resort and not worry about carrying money around. I respectfully declined and they let it go, but called me at home after my stay to say I owed additional money and my card had been declined. Now I’m thinking, “What charge and what card?” They tried to run my card again without authorization. BEWARE OF HIDDEN FEES. Nowhere on the COTE website, on any Resort informational paperwork, or verbally by COTE staff or hosts were we made aware that there was a $7 a day per person park use fee above the $45 campsite fee. Again, keep in mind that “overnight guests” are those staying at the resort, not RV or Tent campers, and only overnight guests are provided any freebees as part of the cost of staying there. This is not particularly “bait and switch,” but is certainly deceptive trade. Calibre Resorts owes it to their patrons to be more transparent in their fee schedules and what is provided for ones dollar and do a better job differentiating between what one gets as a resort participant, RV camper or day use patron.
For a nature preserve the place is great. The trails are well manicured and good for walking or mountain biking. Lots of nature around, including rabbits, deer, wild hog, squirrels, two endangered Texas birds, armadillos and the like. The Sky Observatory is first rate and a hidden gem that not a lot of people know about. It’s absolutely worth the time to star gaze with a very knowledgeable astronomer and two great telescopes. Not a great experience with more than 20 people in attendance, so go in the off season for the best experience.
Access to the lake, for a lakeside resort, is not very good. Yes there is a dock, but no place to put a boat in. The “Resort’s” lake beach area is not maintained to a resort quality standard. The grass is mowed as close as possible to the lake, but drift wood, dead fish and other flotsam and jetsam litter the beach, and the grass burrs and stickers are so bad that it is an unpleasant experience to get to the water especially for pets. The resort states that there are kayaks to rent which is true, but there are so few that you have to be there early or they will be gone. By few I mean less than ten (I actually only saw 4) and for a “resort” that claims 61 rentable cabins and 31 RV sites you would be better off to bring your own if you want to kayak. Even if availability were not an issue, the rental cost is just passed excessive. Tandem (2 person) Kayak $75 for 8 hours, as compared to kayak renting on Lake Austin at $45 a day.
I will say that the “resort” area around the cabins, restaurant, swimming pool and such were well taken care of and it appears through recent reviews that they may have added some typical room amenities that even the cheapest hotels have now days (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee pot, iron and ironing board), but I can’t really speak to that. The music provided on Saturday night at the resort was first rate. Doug, the Saturday night staple played a two hour set that was superb quality and very entertaining. I did not eat in the restaurant, but from what I could see through the windows it appeared to be a nice resort style restaurant that gets decent reviews.

The Bottom Line:

Maybe I don’t understand Calibre’s definition of resort. I have stayed at resorts and if they are done correctly, with the high cost of admission come a certain expectation of included services, quality surroundings and attention to detail. I have also stayed at a number of RV parks and understand that access to amenities comes with a price. I feel like Calibre over charges the Resort goers for what they are provided in the same way they over charge the RVers for what they are provided; Two different price points with the same proportion of underwhelming execution.

My recommendation is to go to the COTE nature preserve as a day user, pay the minimal fees associated with that and save your lodging dollars for something with more bang your buck.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1_JohnPaul_1
Whitney N, Manager at Canyon of the Eagles Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2017

Hello 1_JohnPaul_1,
We want to start off by saying thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for choosing to stay with us here at Canyon of the Eagles. We apologize for any confusion, and unfortunately that is what it looks like happened here. You do have the correct information that all guests over the age of 11, whether it be campsite, RV site or room guest pay a park program fee of $6 per day. This is less then the $7 you would pay for just coming in as a day guest. Now, since you stayed in the RV park you were able to take full advantage and use all of the amenities that the room guests are able to use. That includes the trails, Observatory, the pool, the Perch (rec room) and all programs that are included in the park program fee. I am not sure where our miscommunication was but we apologize. Since we are on LCRA property there are certain rules and restrictions that we must adhere too including not having a boat ramp on property and no over night docking of boats. We do have over flow parking areas where guests are more then welcome to leave there boat and we encourage this as Lake Buchanan is a gorgeous lake and since we have now had water for a little over a year, our beach area will soon becoming more of a standard beach. We apologize if there was any discomfort felt or that you did not feel like you did not receive enough "bang for your buck." Reviews like yours are always helpful to use here at Canyon of the Eagles and we want to make sure that every guest receives the best experience possible, and although we failed to give you that excellent experience we apologize and appreciate the input on how we can better ourselves and how we can better the overall experience for EVERY guest that comes to Canyon of the Eagles. Thank you again so much for taking the time to review us and for choosing to stay with us here at COTE. We do hope that you give us another change and we look forward to seeing you again.