“Little Gretel surprises”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

A friend and I decided to try the Gretel restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised by the food, service and decor of the restaurant. We had the schnitzel and it was delicious. The food was moderately priced as was the beer and wine. All in all, worth the trip to Boerne to enjoy some German cuisine.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

I was planning on ordering the Jalapeno hoagie, but one of the wait staff suggested upgrading ($2) to the bratwurst. Huge mistake! Could not eat it like a sandwich, had to cut it with a fork and knife. The casing was like a piece of concrete!! But the homemade sauerkraut was wonderful! Just should have stayed with what I originally wanted.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We have been eating here for Sunday brunch for years, and have never been let down. The wait staff are awesome. Funny, remember us and we have great conversations. Service is excellent, and we love the food.

I love the French toast. Daughter loves the sausage plate options. Great food, atmosphere and service.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We had dinner here - we ordered Jaeger Schnitzel and a Bratwurst plate. We should have known the meal would be marginal from the start when my daughter asked the waitress what Spaetzle was and before I could interject - the waitress said "French fries". I noted that Spaetzle was a dumpling or noodle - oh well. We waited over 45 minutes for our dinner. At one point my daughter asked our waitress when our food was coming out - the reply: "Eventually". We probably should have just got up and left at that point - our stomachs would have thanked us if we had. The Jaeger Schnitzel was terrible - way overcooked to the point that the pork was mushy. The meager amount of Jaeger sauce was tasteless as if they had poured it out of a jar. The breading on the Schintzel was loose and came off each time I cut into it. The braised beets were the only thing that was edible on my plate. The Bratwurst was also overcooked and covered with burned cheese - beyond weird. Each plate was supposed to come with Sauerkraut and it did - about a tablespoon each - pathetic. After placing our initial order we did not see our waitress again until the meal was served. At one point someone brought out some "just out of the oven" bread. The bread was cold so my guess is that after it came out of the oven they must have put it in the refrigerator. We did enjoy a nice glass of Warsteiner. How this place ever achieved a Zagat rating is beyond me. I spent many years in Germany so I am quite familiar with German food - Little Gretel does not make good German food or Czech food, for that matter.

1  Thank shadow17
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Came here for breakfast while visiting a friend. My omelet with home fried potatoes and rye toast was well seasoned and really good. We decided to share an order of apple strudel and I'm really glad we did. Not many people have tried true apple strudel; instead they settle for the Americanized version with sliced apples layered between sheets of puff pastry. This is the real deal made just as our European ancestors made it. Keep up the good work--wish I could have some sent to California!

Been to Little Gretel Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK