“Don't order the Bratwurst on the hoagie!”

Little Gretel Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 115 Restaurants in Boerne
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 35
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 9 October 2017

I was planning on ordering the Jalapeno hoagie, but one of the wait staff suggested upgrading ($2) to the bratwurst. Huge mistake! Could not eat it like a sandwich, had to cut it with a fork and knife. The casing was like a piece of concrete!! But the homemade sauerkraut was wonderful! Just should have stayed with what I originally wanted.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We have been eating here for Sunday brunch for years, and have never been let down. The wait staff are awesome. Funny, remember us and we have great conversations. Service is excellent, and we love the food.

I love the French toast. Daughter loves the sausage plate options. Great food, atmosphere and service.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

We had dinner here - we ordered Jaeger Schnitzel and a Bratwurst plate. We should have known the meal would be marginal from the start when my daughter asked the waitress what Spaetzle was and before I could interject - the waitress said "French fries". I noted that Spaetzle was a dumpling or noodle - oh well. We waited over 45 minutes for our dinner. At one point my daughter asked our waitress when our food was coming out - the reply: "Eventually". We probably should have just got up and left at that point - our stomachs would have thanked us if we had. The Jaeger Schnitzel was terrible - way overcooked to the point that the pork was mushy. The meager amount of Jaeger sauce was tasteless as if they had poured it out of a jar. The breading on the Schintzel was loose and came off each time I cut into it. The braised beets were the only thing that was edible on my plate. The Bratwurst was also overcooked and covered with burned cheese - beyond weird. Each plate was supposed to come with Sauerkraut and it did - about a tablespoon each - pathetic. After placing our initial order we did not see our waitress again until the meal was served. At one point someone brought out some "just out of the oven" bread. The bread was cold so my guess is that after it came out of the oven they must have put it in the refrigerator. We did enjoy a nice glass of Warsteiner. How this place ever achieved a Zagat rating is beyond me. I spent many years in Germany so I am quite familiar with German food - Little Gretel does not make good German food or Czech food, for that matter.

1  Thank shadow17
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Came here for breakfast while visiting a friend. My omelet with home fried potatoes and rye toast was well seasoned and really good. We decided to share an order of apple strudel and I'm really glad we did. Not many people have tried true apple strudel; instead they settle for the Americanized version with sliced apples layered between sheets of puff pastry. This is the real deal made just as our European ancestors made it. Keep up the good work--wish I could have some sent to California!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We had a FABULOUS meal and evening at Little Gretel Restaurant in Boerne Texas. I love duck and if it's on the menu, that;s probably what I'm going to order as there are not many places that serve it. It could not have been better! I was blown away at how perfectly it was prepared, Our waiter, Mikel was the best!! He was knowledgeable on the entrees and helped me with my wine selection. We sat outside in their great little garden setting, The only problem was we were too full to have one of their great deserts! I guess that's a good excuse to go back again!

Been to Little Gretel Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK