“The Not So Super 8”

Super 8 Big Spring TX
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Big Spring
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I hate giving bad reviews, but will if I must, so here goes.

First let me state, the staff was very friendly, but that's the only good thing I can say about this hotel.

My husband and I were traveling through late in the evening about 10 pm heading from East Texas to Arizona and were very tired. We found out something about West Texas hotels. They fill up fast with workers during the week. We were calling ahead to Midland/Odessa and weren't finding anything, so we just wanted a CLEAN place to sleep. We saw another hotel off the freeway so we decided to stop. They were full, but said they knew the Super 8 still had a room available. We went over and they did, along with breakfast in the morning. Great! We checked in, took our overnight bag up the stairs and my husband went to take a bath. There was hair all over the bath tub. We were really too tired to make a big fuss over it, so he started cleaning the bathtub when I noticed there was urine on the back of the toilet behind the seat. I picked up the toilet seat and it hadn't been cleaned at all. We decided to check the beds (we had been booked into a room with two queen beds). We pulled back the covers and one had a couple of long black hairs on them and the other had marks on the sheets (so the sheets hadn't been changed. The towels were clean, the trash had been taken out, but that was it. As my husband was already undressed and just about to get into his bath, I decided to clean the toilet myself and go downstairs and ask for fresh sheets to make the bed. I got to the front desk and the lady at the desk was wonderful. She was horrified that the room wasn't clean and said that wasn't their standard there and she had another room she could move us into. Since my husband was in the bath we could just move over after he got out and leave the room key in the dirty room and give her a call once we had moved. Great! I wouldn't have to make a bed!

We moved to the new room and it was "cleaner". The room hadn't been dusted in who knows how long. I know this, as when I went to plug my phone in on the bedside table my hand came back covered in dust, but I just wanted to sleep. I wasn't there for vacation, just sleep! And the bathroom was relatively clean. My husband was tucked into bed when I went to wash my face and took a hand towel down. The front side was clean and the back side had black grease marks all over it!!! But again, just want to sleep. It was around one in the morning I got up to go to the bathroom and something scurried across the floor and behind the refrigerator. At one in the morning without my glasses in dim light from the bathroom I was pretty sure it was a mouse (in hindsight it may have been a lizard - regardless, when I pay for a room I like it to be the occupants I register and no one else). The wildlife can spent the night outside. At that point I was done. I asked my husband if he would mind sleeping in the truck while I drove. He asked what happened and I told him. I'm not afraid of mice or lizards, I just don't want to be in a room that hosts them. We got up, he went to the truck and I went to the office and told the young man at the desk what happened. He apologized several times and was very nice about the whole situation. I told him I understood it was not his fault, which it wasn't his fault, but I did want my money back. He cancelled the night, and we left.

The place was packed with oil workers, so I'm sure there business is not going to suffer from my review; however, if you are going over the weekend when they are not busy, I would steer clear of this particular hotel as the cleanliness standard does not seem to be there. They need to retrain the cleaning staff or rehire.

Room Tip: Keep traveling
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2017

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2017

The hotel was great cleaning staff fabulous but the person that checked us in was RUDE and not helpful the breakfast lady was also rude and unpleasant

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Comfortable enough for a quick family visit. Available pool is good enough to stay cool in West Texas heat!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2017

When we checked in we were basically told that they had water issues and if we wanted to go somewhere else we could - since I booked this on booking.com - that was not an option - or we would have gotten charged for this room and another. The water was lukewarm at best for a shower and the bathroom in general needed upgrading, tub and toilet. Also, not a good sign when there is already a "plunger" next to the toilet.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family