“Spectacular Cavern Experience”

Tuckaleechee Caverns
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Townsend
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Tuckaleechee Caverns is a commercial cave and tourist attraction located in Townsend, Tennessee awarded 5 stars by AAA. Tuckaleechee Caverns is a short drive from Gatlinburg, Sevierville, Townsend, Cades Cove, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Tuckaleechee Caverns is the Highest rated cave or cavern in the Eastern US awarded 5 star "GEM" attraction by AAA. The "Big Room" is the largest cave/cavern room that is open to the public in the eastern United States could almost fit a football stadium. Many stalagmites reach over 24 feet tall with flow-stone formations over hundreds of feet in length and width. Tuckaleechee Caverns is proud to have the tallest underground waterfall in the eastern United States, named "Silver Falls", a 210 foot two-tier waterfall.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

While staying in Gatlinburg we decided to go to these caverns, turned out to be an excellent decision. The cavers are a nature treasure, astonish formations, the underground river is remarkably beautiful, and the Silver Falls are gorgeous. Our guide was a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic lady. Once we arrived to the great room she made us experiment the “absolute darkness” turning off all lights.. that was quite unique, so deep inside the earth and zero lights…, she then said “and this is when we negotiate the tips..” we all LOL.
The guide mentioned that all lights used are just standard lighting, they don’t need to use color or other special effects as some other cavers do, simply because the beauty of the cavern formations do not need any help. They are gorgeous by themselves.
I was with my husband and 2 girls, the younger is a 5 years old and all that climbing and walking was difficult for her at times. I would say that if you go with little ones the walk, ups and downs, stairs, distance and some areas without fences could be a challenge, it totally worst the effort though!. Enjoy and be prepared. I did and I do not regret, it is a lifetime cherished memory now.

1  Thank Raquel M
"gift shop"
in 72 reviews
"year round"

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Thank be honest, this isn’t my favorite cavern. It is huge! Bigger than I ever thought possible...and we only saw
10% of the cave -unbelievable! The story of the 2 boys 6 and 8yrs Old who found it is amazing!

It has lots of wires throughout the cavern for the lighting which is appreciated, but does detract from the ambiance. It may just be a necessary evil.

The guide, Alec, was great! He was extremely knowledgeable, personable and very tolerant of even the most inquisitive, in your face, kiddos.

Both of the guys working up in the gift shop we VERY nice! One guy even let my daughter buy a Stone even though they were clearly closed and he was counting the drawer. Southern hospitality!? Love that! When you can be human and not fear you are upsetting someone.

So although it isn’t my favorite type of cavern, the staff made it a 5 out of 5 for sure!

1  Thank Darci D
Reviewed 5 April 2018

when we arrived and saw the old "store" building we were not sure if we are in the right place. We purchased tickets, kids went to the store to buy some gifts. Prices are very reasonable, I would say 50% less then any souvenir store in town. Then we took a trip with very funny, knowledgable girl. We took beautiful pictures and have great memories.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We saw the signs on our way to Gatlinburg and decided we would try to visit it. Boy are we glad we fit the stop in on our way back to Memphis. It was one of the best caves we have been in. It is huge and very easy to get around in. There are 87 steps to descend into the cave and you come out the same way but they let you take your time and it'd not that bad. There are so many beautiful formations, stalactites and stalagmites, flowing river throughout, a beach area, fresh drinking water you can try, a waterfall, and much more. Our guide was great and knew her stuff. She answered all our questions and gave a lot of history and bits of info that made it very interesting. Experiencing total darkness was cool and they ask if everyone is OK with it and you can speak up at any time if you get uncomfortable with it. I highly recommend this tour, wear good walking shoes. It was not as cold down there as it has been in other caves. Maybe because of its size. My son and I loved it.

1  Thank Linda N