“Relaxing, Relaxing, Relaxing”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Yiska2010
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
“Relaxing, Relaxing, Relaxing”
Reviewed 16 August 2017 for a stay in August 2017

I love this little cabin! This place is so relaxing, calm, and such a wonderful place to go and regroup, regenerate, get away from it all and just rest. The location is so beautiful with a trout stream running beside the cabin to help you unwind. The neighbors are wonderful, stopping by with fresh produce from their garden. The neighbors are also QUIET!!! You never know they are there. One neighbor has ducks which are fun to watch as well. I felt very safe at this location, no worries about someone doing harm or ill will toward me or my belongings. The cabin is as represented in the photos and in the owner description. Speaking of the owners, I met both. They are the sweetest and best vacation rental owners ever!!! There is no cell service or phone at the cabin but within a mile (at Jacks store) my cell worked great.) The neighbors will also let you use their phone if needed. This cabin is in a great location - off the beaten path yet still easy access to the main road to travel in the Eastern TN/Western NC area. I hope to return next year to this wonderful little gem in the mountains and send my prayers and best wishes to the owners.

28 Aug 2017
Thank you so much. Looking forward to seeing you next year.
Melodie P
Nashville, Tennessee
“Cozy Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 14 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017

My husband and I enjoyed spending four days and nights here. As others have noted, the cottage is somewhat tricky to find, and some of the directions seem a bit vague. If you are approaching from the north, once you have driven through Roan Mountain State Park and out the other side, watch for a small store on your left called Jack’s. Turn left immediately along the right side of Jack’s in order to take the small, unnamed road that angles off between Jack’s and the sign for Burbank Freewill Baptist Church. From Jack’s, drive 0.8 miles to Chase Drive, which is noted on a small white sign nailed to a pole. Turn left just before the pole, not after it. Immediately turn left again and go 0.2 miles on a narrow, one-lane dirt road, past several dwellings. Turn left, go over the little bridge, and you will see the cottage immediately on your right.

Upon our arrival, we found the porch light on and a lamp on inside, as if someone were expecting us. We really appreciate how welcome that made us feel! The price was very reasonable for what it provides. The cottage was clean, although it is somewhat dated and could use some fresh paint inside and out. Each bedroom has a queen bed, one of which is softer than the other. The firmer one was very comfortable for us.

As we were exploring the cottage, my husband opened the small roll-top desk in the kitchen and discovered a notebook containing the list of a few simple instructions for guests. If we had not been poking around, we would have missed it. So be sure to look for that.

It was nice to meet the owner, Sandra, who stopped by for a short visit on the second day of our stay. She gave us some helpful suggestions about area eateries.

In addition to a gas grill, there is a fire pit in the back yard, with wood provided. The kitchen has a coffee maker, toaster, range, full-size refrigerator, and large microwave. We brought some snacks and breakfast food, as we planned to eat most of our meals in town. Unfortunately, there are very few restaurants in Roan Mountain, but there are a couple of small stores that sell groceries and supplies, including a Dollar General. The weather was quite chilly during our visit, but the gas heater in the living room worked well and kept the cottage warm and snug.

The front and back porches are both nice spots to sit and relax and watch the creek. While the surroundings were fairly peaceful, some neighbors have several dogs that barked a lot and were not always contained inside their fence. Between the loose dogs and the narrow, bumpy road, we did not feel comfortable taking walks in the area.

As others have mentioned, there is no cell service or Internet at the cottage. There is no landline, either, but the instruction list in the notebook mentions a neighbor that will let guests use his phone to call Sandra, if needed. There is no television service or cable, but there is a TV with a VCR and DVD player, along with an assortment of videos and DVDs.

There are not a lot of surfaces to put things on. Since we do not like putting suitcases or bags on the floor anywhere we go, we used the bed and dresser in the unused bedroom to put our things on. If there had been more than two of us, that would not have been an option. The cottage has beds enough to sleep six (counting the sofa bed in the living room). If more than two people are staying here, I would recommend bringing folding tables or luggage racks to set your things on, if you don’t want them on the floor.

As is typical for rentals like this, a small starter supply of consumable items is provided. Be sure to bring your own toilet paper, paper towel, coffee filters, and trash bags. If you plan to take a vacation from washing dishes, bring paper or plastic plates, cups, bowls, and utensils, too.

Keep in mind that this cottage is more like someone’s home, not a fancy resort. It is comfortable and cozy and provides a nice place to relax and get away from your normal routine for a few days.

26 Jun 2017
Thank you so much for your review.
Sandra
Julie F
“The cottage was a peaceful place perfect for getting away from everyday life.”
Reviewed 3 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

I really enjoyed staying here. The stream running beside the cottage was so serene, and the kitchen had everything I needed. I'm a writer, and this was the perfect place for me to escape my daily responsibilities for a bit and focus on my writing. I love screen doors too, and this cottage has two of them and they creak when you open them just like screen doors are supposed to do! The bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean as well as the rest of the cottage. I was very satisfied with the whole experience. The only suggestion I would have is to replace the battery in the clock hanging on the wall and make sure both lamps in the bedrooms are plugged in and work.

Your age range 50-64
15 May 2017
Thank you for the great review. Thanks for the remarks. Will take care of that.
Thanks Sandra
hmschlmom...
TN
“I shouldn't be writing this review”
Reviewed 1 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

I shouldn't be writing this review because if more people find out about this wonderful hideaway, it is going to be harder for me to get reservations when I want to return. But out of respect for the wonderful owner, I will relay to you my visit.

After you pass thru Roan Mountain State Park grounds (coming from the TN side), you see a small country store on your left and you turn beside it, passing a small country church on your right, you are nearly to your left-hand turn that you WILL MISS if you aren't watching for it. A small white sign in front of a telephone pole is easily missed because you are wanting to look at everything around. So you take the left and an IMMEDIATE left again, down a gravel path with small home places on either side, then across a tiny bridge and into the parking space of this cozy cottage. It is like visiting family, there are neighbors around, but it is still quiet and still feels remote and restful.
The kitchen is the best-appointed kitchen of any rental I've ever stayed in. I cooked 4 meals, and had everything I needed. Bring your food and coffee. It is a drive into town, but for small needs like sodas, the country store is just a few minutes away.
When we stayed the highs were in the 50s and the lows the 30s. A small gas heater did the job. There are multiple ceiling fans in the house. The two bedrooms, one had a firm bed and one had a memory foam mattress. One bedroom was quiet as a mouse, the other you could hear the stream rushing outside. The stream could be heard from the living room also, you are so close to it.
I had a difficult time deciding between the back porch and the front porch, both were so comfy and relaxing and the stream can be enjoyed from both. Next time I want to use the small fire ring that is there beside the stream.
Location, as I said you go thru Roan Mtn State Park to get there, if you continue past the little store, you are headed up Roan Mountain to possibly hike Carvers Gap where the Appalachian Trail cuts thru or see the Rhododendron Gardens if they are in season, or possibly on into North Carolina.
Bring your hair dryer if you need one, a good book or magazine cause there is no cell service, or maybe a movie to watch, although a few can be found there if you need. This is a getaway where you do actually get away from everything and relax. We can't wait to return.

Your age range 35-49
8 May 2017
Thank you so much for your review. I wish I could have met you. So glad you like it. Hope to meet you the next time. Thanks so much.

Thanks Sandra
Jan R
Lebanon
“Lovely home with sounds of babbling brook”
Reviewed 13 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017
person found this review helpful

This is a great clean older home with a wonderful stream very close to the house- you could leave the windows open and hear the peaceful rushing water. A picnic table and fire pit by the stream. This house is very difficult to find- go to the store Barnett's Jack Grocery- the only one in Roan mtn. They are super nice and drove to tell the owners we were at the store and then drove us to the cabin in a heavy downpour. A true Good Samaritan.
The cabin is close to Roan mtn. And about 45 min from Johnson City. I would rent it again.

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$ 85
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing