“Beautiful place, but can be costly”

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #49 of 157 Hotels in Nashville
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I will begin by saying that we went here for a 5 day conference paid for by my husband's employer. We would not have gone here on our own. The people arranging the conference were able to get the expensive daily resort fee waived (which, from what I could figure, bought a couple bottles of water daily), and arranged for a significantly lower nightly cost than is stated for the "normal" traveler. Also, self parking is $20 daily. Other than that... this place is amazing. It took me a few days to learn my way around, and I always carried a map. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff is extremely accommodating and always helpful. The "gardens" are astounding... Every bit as nice as any botanical gardens I have ever been to, and all in a climate controlled (i.e. not 100 degrees like outside) environment. We spent one evening just walking around the different gardens and watching the dancing water area. I was told that they have an evening water show in the Delta Atrium - however the evening we were eating near there, our view was blocked by banana trees (yes, I said banana trees). If you decide to eat in the conference center with a family or group of people, check out menu prices before going in, especially to The Steakhouse. The food there was amazing, but a steak, salad and a side WITHOUT WINE can easily run $60-70 per person (I should mention the scallops were amazing). The conference center is a short walk (maybe 10 minutes from the Delta exit) to a large outlet mall and to the Grand Old Opry, which is a fun place to visit even if you aren't a country music fan. There are fun restaurants within easy walking distance, often with free nightly music. Several nights we took a round trip shuttle into Nashville, we didn't go with the hotel's shuttle ($20 per person) we went with a private company that was less costly... this is a great idea as you can drink what you want and not worry about driving or trying to find parking in Nashville. Overall, this was a wonderful place to stay, but probably too "touristy" for my taste.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I took my family to the Dreamworks Experience Package for a 2 night stay. First of all, when we checked in, we were given NO information about the "experience" ...walked away thinking we had everything we needed. Once we put up our luggage we finally found a character meet and greet...waited in line ..then were told that we needed bracelets to participate. WHAT BRACELETS? First we had heard of them! Had to trek all the way back to front lobby for the Dreamworks desk to get our package w/ all the info .By the time we were done the character was gone! The parade was a FIASCO! No organization whatsoever! We wanted to take the shuttle to the mall next door, it was to arrive on 5 and 35 past the hour. We arrived at 30 past and waited until 50 after and gave up!!! We were late to Kung Fu school of Awesomeness because the ticket dept could not communicate w/ the concierge so we had to cancel! Our children were SUPER disappointed. I left an item of clothing in the closet . Tried calling lost and found...after getting hung up on 3 times finally talked to a human....waiting to see what becomes of this....don't have my hopes up.

Room Tip: any room is far away from everything! Get your walking shoes ready!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank ttkdkk
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

On behalf of the resort, I would like to apologize that your stay was anything less than perfect. A senior leader would like the opportunity to speak with you. I have reached out via private messaging in hopes that we can connect. Thank you for making us aware of your experiences.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

The pictures do not do it justice. The atriums are just spectacular and better than a lot of botanical centers I have been to. The entire resort was one of the cleanest I have ever seen. A little mildew smell in the first floor hallway in Magnolia. Not sure if it is in the rooms. We stayed in the Cascade area. The room was clean and fresh, and I loved the extra sink and vanity. The boat ride was worth the money for a history of the resort and the flood there a couple of years ago. The restaurants were a little expensive, and not a lot of basic food fare. But I would definitely go back. Free shuttle to and from the Grand Ole Opry and other locations.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kimberly S
Reviewed 30 July 2012

A great time at the Gaylord Opryland. Our third visit - this time I requested a room a bit closer to the Convention Center and they did a great job trying to accommodate us. I got lost a few times - always carry a map and bring your walking shoes. The staff are very helpful and do know their way around - you can't be lost for long. An amazing facility - the gardens, the fountains and the shopping are all fantastic.

Room Tip: Try to figure out where you want to be - before you check in - because walking can be almost endless...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jrmigs
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Attended a conference here... the place is a large place. as one person said.. massive is a good word. It is easy to get lost but honestly the gardens make the getting lost better... :) I would stay here again. The staff was so friendly and they went out of their way to help. The places to eat were nice. The rooms were clean and nice. They were not anything amazing... just very nice hotel rooms. Enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: if you are staying for any length of time a garden room would be the way to go.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business