“DO NOT BOOK TABLES IN ADVANCE AT THIS RESTURANT! THEY TRY AND CHARGE YOU FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT SHOW UP”
Review of Restaurant at Mount Rael - CLOSED

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2013

First off I booked a table of 27 for my birthday lunch. $45 per person for a 2 course meal, sounded great. Previously been to this venue years ago it had great food and great service. So a few days before my lunch i had a few cancellations so i rang Mt Rael and asked for a table of 23 (which was fine)

We get there on the day, get seated and the host walks over and asks "Is this everyone then?" (I had a few cancellations the morning of so we only had 17 people. I replied yes lets order. After our meals, which were extremely small and very average taste wise for a so called "5 star resturant" I asked for the bill.

The host comes back and says "well first we need to sort out a 'matter' first"
I replied shocked "What matter??" The host replies "Well as you have booked your tables for 23 people i am going to have to charge you for 23 people so before you pay your bill you owe us $270 ontop of your bill for the 6 people who did not show up

I replied "Excuse me, but you NEVER told me that when i booked these tables and if that was the case, we defently would not have eaten here" I also added "You also came up to us earlier before we ordered and asked me if this was it 17 people? to which i said yes, wouldn't have that been the time to tell us we would have to pay $45 per person who did not show, NOT AFTER WE HAD EATEN then tell us we owe you 270!"

The host replied (extremely rudely) "This is common knowledge, you should have known!"

To which i replied "No! its certainly not common knowledge, or fair to charge people $45 per head for people who dont show up, its eniviltable that when you book a table that some people cannot make the day due to sickness etc. we are not paying for people who arnt here, if that was the case you could have told us BEFORE we had eaten not after"

To which the host replied "I will speak to my boss" She then returned and said "how about we pay half each?" To which my husband replied "No way, we are paying for our food and drinks which wasnt very nice and the service was horrible"

To which the host replied "Well i hope you know this money will be coming out of my wage" To which we were like "Yes im sure it is (sarcastically" and she said "Just know for next time" To which we replied "Thank you but there wont be a next time"

PLEASE STEER CLEAR OF THIS RESTURANT besides the beautiful view it is not worth the money, the food is no where near the class it should be for what you pay, the food tastes better at the local pubs. and again the STAFF ARE HORRIBLE and RUDE.. Overall extremely dissapointed this resturant has so much potential but the owners, staff and chefs have ruined it.

3  Thank Mel T

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Our group had lunch on a Sunday and were annoyed that when we booked, were not informed of the 10% surcharge. I can honestly say, that I felt like finding somewhere else to eat because of the unfriendly greeting we received upon entering. (We were on time). I agree, the host (or maybe the owner) in his late 40's was very pushy, constantly asking us if we wanted drinks. Also kept opening new bottles of water for our table without asking. Our young waitress who was pleasant made up for his shortcomings. Food was tasty but not very much of it! The view was nice, but unless you were sitting outside on the deck, you couldn't really see a lot of it from inside. Overall very pretentious host (who literally spoilt our day) and to be honest, as the last person on our table took their last bite, we all got up and left. I eat out a lot, and this restaurant was thoroughly disappointing.

1  Thank Jillybean58
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Mount Rael on 27th April 2013, the Zar room was perfect, with magnificent 180 degree view of the Healsville & surrounding mountains, that could be seen from the bedroom as well as a perfect size spa bath. I found the menu slightly confusing, but could not fault the food, wine list or the service from the friendly staff. We'll be back & I liked the driveway!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

We attended due a family members birthday and were referred by someone else.
First off I must say, the food is OK. Not amazing, not horrible but certainly not worth the $40 per person and 10% surcharge for a sunday???

After we made our way up the roller coaster, unpaved, stone bouncing and chip causing driveway We were 'greeted' (i use the term very loosely) by what I assume to be the manager (late 30s / early 40s man). As we were waiting for the remainder of the guests to arrive, we were told to wait and have a drink. We did advise that we weren't going to wait for the rest and we wanted to sit.

We were shown to our table , I must add - the views are great and that is ALL that you are paying for.
Off the top of my head we were asked if we wanted wine , no less then 4 times within a 5 minute period.
NOTE - They don't have tap water, just tank water, we opted for still bottled water.

between the manager and the waitress it felt like we were forced to drink or order at least an antipasto , god forbid we don't spend a cent within the first 10-15 minutes.

I chose a 2 course menu of entree and main .

Entree - Smoked buffalo mozzarella with pickled radish and pesto - was good , but almost bite size.
Main - Pan fried Gnocchi - It was good all 8 pieces of it!! yes , 8 pieces of gnocchi. What a joke.

The waiter constantly kept our glasses filled with still water and automatically replaced the bottles with out asking. (Correct, they were not free - not that we expected them to be free - but at least ask!) and yes we did order a bottle of wine , and were asked if we wanted another bottle.

Never in all my years of eating at restaurants have i ever seen or experienced a more rude, arrogant host/manager. He was more interested in making sure the lap towels were folded if we got up from the table rather than cracking a smile or making sure customers were happy.

Lastly, the wait time - Bring a packed lunch. You'll need it.

Why didn't we walk out? Basically, we travelled all that way to the venue , several people in attendance and wanted to see how much more rude this guy could get.

Tip - You want views? Use google. You want decent sized meals? Avoid this place. You want great service - avoid this place. Want an example of why australia is suffering and constantly gets made a laughing stock due to service - Visit here.

2  Thank Dennis M
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Drive up a steep and winding unmade drive, walk through a simple entrance and come into an elevated restaurant with the most fantastic view over Healesville and valley, with mountainous backdrop. Stunning and envigorating.
Food and service was excellent.
The only shortcoming was that there was a $5 per head surcharge because we were a group of 16 (for Sunday lunch). You would expect a discount for a larger group, not a surcharge.