All reviews water tank eggs and bacon breakfast basket the cottages yogurt royal mail hotel mt sturgeon backdrop region wifi walks facilities kangaroos grampians
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

What a beautiful quiet spot!!
We had a lovely weekend with family thanks to my father in law he had booked out most cottages and the homestead. we stayed in a cottage down the end of the drive and it was beautiful inside and out.
Amazing breakfast tea and coffee was supplied, dressing gowns, slippers and basic toiletries!!
Staff were friendly, rooms were clean and comfortable, views were amazing!!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2017

I stayed three nights at Mt. Sturgeon Cottages as my son was getting married on the estate. The cottage I shared with my niece comprised two good-size bedrooms, equipped with hanging rail and complimentary bathrobe and mules plus plenty of towels. The bathroom is very eco friendly and is contained in a circular construction, attached to the original cottage so washbasin/vanity unit, walk in shower and separate toilet could be used by three people all at the same time, in complete privacy. Cool! The sitting room had a wood burning stove and a 'kitchen in a cupboard' plus a fridge which was topped up daily with milk and breakfast ingredients, including eggs and bacon. We swapped our eggs and bacon with my son's best man's muesli rations! These cottages are looked after well and have comfortable seating and lighting but don't go looking for hi-tech TVs etc as at the time we visited, there was no WiFi. Tranquility is the buzz word! And how lovely it was to look out of the window and spot a kangaroo bouncing along in the distance! Dunkeld town isn't far away, as is the racecourse which we visited the day after the wedding.Staff are very friendly and we got a ride back from the restaurant to our cottage after dinner the first night.

Room Tip: Check the website and email any requests. I didn't arrange my own booking as we were in a group.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2017

On the way to the cottages I read a couple of the less impressed reviews and became a bit despondent. We had delays with our flights and were now arriving at 10pm, I didn't want to be greeted by a poorly maintained cottage... I had kept in touch with the reception to inform of the late arrival, they were fantastic, gave us great directions to the cottage etc.. our cottage was one bedroom and attached to a much larger cottage, a locked door separated us. We heard little noise from them. The fire was set, our breakfast basket was waiting, plunger coffee and T2 teas supplied. We would have enjoyed a glass of wine but no mini bar. Comfy bed, robes, bathroom clean, toiletries of high quality. We arranged to be picked up to have dinner at the hotel, then returned to the cottage. It was very restful to be sitting outside on the grass with a glass of wine in the late afternoons. We saw a couple of emus ( a novelty for us ). It was a great couple of days. The only thing I would suggest is some type of outdoor seating although we were very content to lie on the thick grass and watch the wildlife. Thankyou

Room Tip: We stayed in Cooks cottage
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2016

A good location as a base to explore the Grampian region but only for a short stay of one to two nights as the cottage is not set up for longer stays. The cottage has beautiful views of Sturgeon mountain in a peaceful setting. Excellent dining at Royal Mail Hotel both in the formal dining room and wine bar and equally excellent service and friendly staff - they even have a pick up and drop off service! While our overall impression was positive the cottages are in need of some maintenance for the rate being charged. For example the only lamp that was available in the lounge was broken, not working, dusty and possibly a safety hazard. The sink was stained and worn as was the condition of the kitchenette which had very limited facilities. While a substantial breakfast with bread is delivered there was no chopping board and very limited glasses and crockery. The outdoor space is not set up to appreicate the magnificent views of Mt Sturgeon. The outdoor setting was not usable as it was old and not maintained. It would have been nice to have seating and even a fire pit to enjoy a glass of wine. We have travelled in many locations in Victoria and this property was clearly in need of a refresh, maintenance and a few details to make guest stays more enjoyable.

Stayed: November 2016
1  Thank dimi330
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for a quick weekend away and to enjoy the award winning Royal Mail Hotel dining experience. The blue stone cottage are just beautiful with views over Mt. Sturgeon and beautiful landscapes. Each cottage has a big wood fireplace and there are more than enough other heaters to make it warm and cozy. I can highly recommend these over and above the hotel accommodation.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple