“Stark Contrast to what it was ”

Simon's Peiking Duck Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 144 Restaurants in Box Hill
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We've been here a couple of years back and had deemed their Peking duck as one of the better ones in Melbourne. Tonight, I had a sudden urge for Peking duck and thought we come here for my fix. Unfortunately, it was a major let down. The duck was poorly seasoned, skin pale in colour with a thick layer of unrendered fat and was only vaguely warm when served. The meat itself was dry and the pastry wrap was sub standard. It's such a shame that the quality this dish has declined so drastically. Will not return again nor recommend them.

1  Thank Diane G

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

Been here many times with friends, often for lunar New year. The Peking duck experience is memorable and often entertaining. Simon does a regular stunt of flinging your pancakes onto your plate. At busy periods plan for an early or later sitting, usually two sittings at peak times.

1  Thank nbraybro
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed the three course feast we had in particular the first which was the duck pancake type dish. Great taste particular with the sauce provided. The service provided by waiting staff was questionable at best. Loved the crowded vibrant environment. Cash only payment was inconvenient

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

This restaurant has 2 sessions . 6-8 pm. and 8-10 . I ate at this restaurant about 4 years ago. We ordered 2 ducks with option 2 . The first serve of duck looked small compared to the second serve of duck . The skin in the first serve was pale and not crispy . Slices of the duck quite thick . The cucumbers and spring onions were not cut uniformly like a good restaurant should . The taste of the duck was a bit bland . Form memory it’s not as good as I remembered it from previous visit . The hand made noodles tasted good and the egg noodles not as good . Soup was nice . Overall it’s not bad . It’s very busy so the diners must like this restaurant.

Reviewed 6 December 2017

I must confess that I have not partaken of a meal at this restaurant, nor ever will I. Attempting to book a table for myself and wife, who dine out at least once a week, I was asked in a less than polite manner whether I would like to arrive at 6.00 PM and leave by 8.00 PM or whether I would prefer to arrive at 8.00 PM and leave by 10.00 PM. I responded that I would prefer to arrive at our usual dining time of 7.00 PM, but was informed once again quite rudely that we would be required to vacate by 8.00 PM. To the greedy individual that manages this establishment I say this. Sir, if I prefer fast food, I have more than a dozen fast food cafes between my place of residence and your restaurant. Furthermore, I have the option of multiple excellent quality Chinese restaurants that my wife and I frequent that do not police the time that we arrive and leave and are quite happy to allow us to be seated at our preferred time, enjoying a relaxing meal without time contraints and leave once again at our preferred time. Your attititude and policy is based upon greed and this is frequently rewarded with just what it deserves - an empty restaurant. Off to one of our favourite places, being the Gold Leaf Restaurant in Springvale.