All reviews centennial park oxford st lounge area allianz stadium continental breakfast was included sun deck bondi junction bars and restaurants lovely hotel sydney cbd place to stay per night tariff cereal suite
Reviewed 4 March 2018

The hotel is very pretty and beautifully positioned near Centennial Park, Oxford Street, and only a short bus ride to Bondi Junction. I have stayed there twice and other friends and family have also stayed. It's always convenient and attractive. This time I was in a ground floor outside room hat fell a bit soulless compared to the very lovely garden/ balcony rooms elsewhere in the hotel Obviously it depends on what you are looking for, but if you want to feel cosy - ask for an inner room. They often (every time I have bee there anyway) have events in the bar, so that can be a bit annoying if you were planning a quiet night in your hotel. On the other hand, there are a number of nice wine bars and restaurants just a short stroll dow Oxford Street. The staff are all nice, and the breakfasts are good (like most places you pay extra for hot food but it's good quality).

Room Tip: Ask for an inner room - or an upstairs balcony room. (not a private balcony but a nice aspect).
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
TheHughendenHotel, General Manager at The Hughenden Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hello Steph,

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We are always looking at improving our guests experiences and your feedback is well appreciated. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the old charm of the building, the surrounding areas and that the staff made you feel at home.

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends to The Hughenden Boutique Hotel again.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

I cannot remember when last I was so disappointed in a hotel that I decided to check out after the first night of a planned 4-day stay.
I booked into what was promised as a "Deluxe suite" and "our best rooms". I arrived after a 20-hour flight to find that "suite 23" did not have any kind of work surface/desk in it. Seeing I was working on a new book and needed at lest that I asked if another suite was available. I was then taken to "Suite 24" which indeed had a work surface installed. I had to rush out to a meeting and when I returned and unpacked my suitcase I realised that there was absolutely no storage space in the room other than a small tall cupboard with a few hangers but no shelves - so there was really no space to unpack. When a spoke to the manager about it she told me that this was "not the Hilton" and that I should realise that this was "a boutique hotel" and that "each room was different". So clearly it was unreasonable to expect the most basic facilities. Just how basic I was about to find out on my overnight stay...I have taken a few photos to express some of my other concerns and you can judge the thoughtless design and shabby realities of this "de luxe suite" yourself. Terrible value for money. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Do not choose the premier "de luxe" rooms 23 and 24 that I saw - very poor.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank FreqTravW
TheHughendenHotel, General Manager at The Hughenden Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Hello Mr. Grulke

We really appreciate that you took the time to write us a review. The Hughenden Hotel is a charming hotel built in 1878 with no two rooms the same, and the room that you have checked-in into (room 23) is the one that appears on our website. As you were not happy with that room we promptly moved you into room 24 which is also a Delux but with a completely different set up in terms of furniture. Usually our guests love our charming hotel and we are currently running at over 90% occupancy. As I mentioned to you at the time we would have done anything to accommodate your needs. Your preference was however to move to the Hilton which of course is at a different price point to our hotel.

When booking into our hotel should you have any specific needs I would recommend that you contact the staff directly so we can attend all your expectations. That way you can stay in comfort and do not leave the hotel unhappy with your stay.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

I booked through a room on the less expensive end of the scale as I knew I would be gone all day. The room and bathroom small as to be expected, didn’t worry me as I was on my own. Certainly very clean and tidy. But the room in general had that unpleasant odour of something...cheap cleaning fluid? Hard to move with the fan going full bore.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
TheHughendenHotel, General Manager at The Hughenden Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The Hughenden Hotel is a charming boutique hotel built in 1878 with no two rooms the same. The room options include double sized beds, queen sized beds, king size beds, suites, family rooms and Deluxe rooms up to the Hughenden’s signature Manor Room which is our largest room. The Cosy room that you booked is well named and this room size is definitely better suited to solo travelers on a budget or people not planning on staying in the room for very long. They are small rooms and the price does reflect that as well. With so many room options available when staying it is best to discuss the options with our always friendly and helpful staff. We totally understand that some people are very sensitive to cleaning products and their fragrances and we try our best to make the rooms very clean and the "odour" imperceptible but sometimes it can be a bit strong for some guests, we apologize for the inconvenience and we recommend that in a future stay you contact our front desk staff to look after you if you have any issues like that. That way you can stay in comfort and do not leave the hotel unhappy with your stay.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Hughenden you are a Sweet Boutique and Gorgeous

I’ve stayed here a few times predominately for location. The rooms are cosy, some are very cosy and pets are allowed.

You will require ear plugs or a set of Bose noise reductions head set as the noise in rooms does travel and can be loud. Very loud.

Not ever room has an air conditioner either, so you will need to ask.

Parking is available for $33 per night.

Decorations and fit out is chic French. Renaissance Period.

Food is gourmet and tasty. There are 4-5 different sitting areas and atmosphere.

Recommend yes

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank ZaraIam

We are glad you enjoyed the old charm of the building and that you loved the food and the atmosphere. Unfortunately some rooms can be noisy depending on what is happening on the street or even if we have events at the hotel but most of the rooms are always quiet so for your next stay we would recommend that you speak to the reception staff if you are unhappy with your room as they can assist you find one better suited. The Hughenden Hotel is a charming boutique hotel built in 1878 with no two rooms the same featuring 32 rooms and only 2 rooms without an air-conditioning which are our budget rooms. We really appreciate that you took the time to write us a review. Looking forward to welcome you to The Hughenden again.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Service was impeccable from all the staff whom we found efficient, friendly and attentive. The room and bathroom were clean and to a good standard. Bed very comfortable. We had a 'cosy' room which was small (as advertised) but still fine. No a/c in the room which had an overhead fan instead. The continental breakfast comprised a wide selection of good quality food and the dining area was lovely - you can eat inside or out. Convenient too having a charming street-side cafe right on site. We loved the hotel's old-style decor and it's character. Queen Street is an upmarket location and I thought the accommodation was value for money. We were able to find overnight parking on the street which was quiet at night. A mistake did occur on checkout. We found two meals had been added to our account in error! This was rectified however as a cross-check I suggest patrons could be asked their surname, as well as room number at breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Janet,

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. We are always looking at improving our guests experiences and your feedback is well appreciated. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience and the old charm of the building and that the staff made you fell at home. My apologies again for the inconvenience at checkout and We look forward to welcoming you to The Hughenden again.