“Stopped off for a drink”
Review of The Sailor's Club - CLOSED

The Sailor's Club
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We'd just been to a wedding and needs somewhere to stay for an hour or so before the reception. A group of us descended on The Sailors Club to chat and idle the time away. The 'Club' is very well positioned with views from the bar directly onto the water and out to the marina. Outdoor there is a long bench with stools to sit on. Large selection of dip rinks and some food to go. For all accounts the food wasn't great but that was ok. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Most accommodating given that 15 of us arrived without a booking.
We worth the visit.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I love this restaurant - the decor and location are fantastic. The bar area is really cool too. The food is also good but the service is a MAJOR problem. The Manager on Sunday was so rude and unhelpful. We went as a group (we made a group booking) and they were unfriendly from the moment we arrived. Whenever we asked for anything they were offhand and surly. I don't like or expect over the top service but this was pretty outrageous behaviour, especially considering the prices. When my sister and I left there were three staff members standing at the door, including the Manager, and not one of them made eye contact to say goodbye or thank you. The Manager was texting and didn't look up from his phone. As much as I like the place itself I wouldn't go back there again because of the service.

2  Thank April M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

WOW, what a beautiful place for a restaurant… amazing views. I was here as part of a group booking for a saturday lunch. We were told not to be late - we needed to be there at 12 and out by 2 for the next group. Arriving early, the staff set a few of us up in the bar which is lovely. It is gorgeously decorated and opens up onto a small deck. Once the group arrived, we were escorted to our teeny tiny table. We had 2 pregnant ladies with us and I found the seats very narrow and uncomfortable so I am sure they struggled! As a group we had the $56, 2 course set menu - there were 5-6 different options for each course. The food was fine. Be prepared when the bill comes, they include 'gratuity' which for our group was around $90. We were all ok with this, but we handed over extra cash and they didn't bring back the change which was disappointing. I thought the service was excellent and the food was 'fine', but I think it is quite overpriced. And for such a beautiful location, it was only half full on Saturday afternoon with some of Sydney's beautiful people. I can't imagine this place sticking around for long - especially given some of the reviews posted. I wouldn't come back to the restaurant but maybe some drinks at the stunning bar.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I was invited by some friends to join them for lunch on Australia Day. The weather was a little on the rainy side but this did not dampen our spirits. The food was tasty (if a little small on the portion size) and the staff friendly and informative. As a group we enjoyed out lunch and had this been my only visit I would have marked the restaurant as Good. Sadly on returning for dinner the experience was very very different. I had made a booking via email and I had changed this twice due to travel problems. This was 100% acknowledged by myself when we arrived for dinner. What I was very disappointed about was the fact that having requested a good table at the very back of the restaurant and this was acknowledged in the reply email we were given a poor table right by the bar / entrance. This was deeply embarrassing as I was taking two old friends on the basis of my great lunch. The Manager was deeply offensive and quite simply out of his depth. He was forward in the very fact that he kept repeating my christian name having never met me before. Perhaps this is the Australian way but it is disrespectful in my mind. There was little attempt to improve our evening and this left me with a seriously sour taste in my mouth. I echo 'cchai's' review comments. Sadly I will NOT be returning and urge you to give this place a wide berth. Dinner was overpriced and a great disappointment given the super lunch I had had.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Why were wine glasses with stems invented???You can bet they don't know the answer here. Wine is served in kitchen tumblers which they clearly do because they think it is 'on-trend'. Yawn. At $13 per glass my wine deserves better! When asked if I could swap glasses there was a curt 'No' and by the way we need your table at 8.30 so move it along. Yes the view is amazing but from the park next door it is free. Take a picnic and some nice wine (with lovely glasses!) and enjoy. My recommendation is don't waste your money on this up itself place.