“View amazing, food boring, small and expensive, service unhelpful.”
Review of The Sailor's Club - CLOSED

The Sailor's Club
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Why were wine glasses with stems invented???You can bet they don't know the answer here. Wine is served in kitchen tumblers which they clearly do because they think it is 'on-trend'. Yawn. At $13 per glass my wine deserves better! When asked if I could swap glasses there was a curt 'No' and by the way we need your table at 8.30 so move it along. Yes the view is amazing but from the park next door it is free. Take a picnic and some nice wine (with lovely glasses!) and enjoy. My recommendation is don't waste your money on this up itself place.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This place is very Sydney great view food & wine excellent and service good too.
Formerly the Pier restaurant with 3 chefs hats it was re badged as a more accessible restaurant.
The prices ( wine & food) are sufficiently high to make it not that accessible, more of a special occasion place.
Having said that with this view there will be plenty of customers always.

2  Thank wanderingjulie
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

After booking and confirming for 30 guests with me, they took my credit card and confirmed the booking. When we turned up they did not book for us and could not accommodate us.

So here I am with 30 guests and they were rude, unaccommodating, and shuffled us out of the place with nowhere to go.

I will never return.
We will never return.
I hope everyone we know will never return.

Disgusting and rude. How dare you!

5  Thank cchait
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I understand that this restaurant was formerly a hatted fine dining location and has changed to embrace the casual and locale clientele. Well it certainly is casual, with metal chairs and very fresh faced staff who definitely don't put on graces. The setting is perfect for dinner - book early so you enjoy the sunset and the fact that the restaurant is basically sitting on a jetty with boats moored all around - very Sydney. I enjoyed a very tasty fig and prosciutto entree which made me just really appreciate good food done simply. Followed up with Barramundi which was cooked to perfection and accompanied by a snow pea and asparagus greens mix. Our hosts promised that the pastry chef at this restaurant was renowned for fabulous concoctions and we weren't disappointed. Described by the waitress as a bit 'Heston Blumenthal and not all what they seem' we decide to order 4 different desserts and share them all. WOW! they were an amazing finale to a great dinner. Special mention to the brownie desert. Just one glitch at the end when we received the bill and realised it was about half what we were expecting and that in fact we had received another tables bill. We alerted the waitress and it was rectified, but would have hated to think a group of 2 may have inadvertently paid our bill. Give this place a go - I'd return in a flash

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We arrived on a weekday without a reservation. Noting that the restaurant was one third full, we thought this might not be a problem. We were directed to wait in the bar, having been informed that they would need 15 minutes to find a table for us! My companion had to chase up a waiter for a drinks menu, after waiting for 10 minutes.

We arrived hungry and ready to order, this was annoying as the place was clearly quite empty. When they were unable to make our cocktail of choice and also had a very limited selection of beers, we decided to go elsewhere, having felt unwelcome. We have dined here before with a larger group and noted the offhand manner of staff on that occasion, although the food was satisfactory.

1  Thank rainbowlorikeet