1,202 results
All reviewsghost tourquarantine stationboilerhouse restaurantshuttle busboiler housenorth headprivate beachengine roomunique experienceguest loungessydney harbourthe cottagesheritage listedaustralian historymini busesthere is no air conditioninglots of history
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

I used a Groupon deal for my visit with my 11 year old son. He described the trip there as "iconic Australian." We enjoyed the trip on the fast ferry from Circular quay to Manly which had iconic views of the bridge and Opera house. While it was a reasonable temperature outside during the evening we managed to walk up the hill to Q station with each of us wheeling one piece of luggage and wearing a small daypack. It took about 30 minutes. I would not advise doing this if you are wearing high heels or are elderly. Instead you can take bus 135 from Manly or a taxi costs about $10.
While eating chips outside at Q station's restaurant, at the little bay, a kookaburra flew down and snatched a chip out of my son's hands much to his amusement. Staff at the restaurant were pleasant.
We had a big huntsman spider in our room but within two minutes of calling reception about it a staff member arrived to remove it.
A highlight of the trip was feeding possums at night on the verandah outside our room. So cute! We also saw bandicoots run past. We both agreed that we would much prefer to pat possums at Q station than to stay at a skyscraper hotel in the city. It was also nice chatting briefly to other patrons while sitting on the verandah. I loved the beautiful views of the Harbour from the end of P11 building and watching the ferries drive past.
As previous reviews state it is true that there is no air con or fly wire on windows and the rooms are small. Unless you leave the French doors open to capture the breeze the room tends to be stuffy. We were unsure about leaving them open overnight for security reasons and in case the possums wondered in. If you hate heat avoid Q station in hot weather. I found the room to be clean and the bed comfortable. It was lovely not to have traffic noise overnight.
Some staff were good, eg the one who removed the spider, while others, although not bad, could benefit from more training. I felt a more pleasant and friendly tone from a staff member would have been better in the breakfast room when a patron got the banana bread stuck in the toaster. Also when patrons seek help with the coffee machine. May I suggest the hotel put a sign up advising guests not to put banana bread in the toaster as I advised at least two guests not to pry it out if the toaster with metal knives because that is dangerous.
There is a nice common lounge area that has a coffee machine. My son loved the hot chocolate from it. He also enjoyed playing pool.
If I had known how lovely the grounds were and how good the views were I would have booked a longer stay. The photos posted online don't do justice to the views. We were both sad to leave. Unfortunately we did not have time to do any ghost or historical tours there but hope we can do so one day in the future.

Stayed: January 2018
1  Thank jennifer154
Reviewed 11 January 2018

We stayed here as a friend gifted us a voucher. The room was reasonably well appointed but smelt musty and was dark. The soundproofing was dreadful, I could hear the man snoring in the room next door and the conversation another couple was having when they came in late at night! Also, toilets flushing. Was very stuffy at night. However, the view off the verandah is stunning and the guest lounges lovely. We ate at the Boilerhouse- absolutely superb meal! Pricey but we really enjoyed the ambience and service. Did the 8pm Ghost Tour-our third one, so we maybe could have passed in it as it was not all that different to the Family ones we did when the children were younger- despite being sold to us as something different. The breakfast was lovely- staff not really attentive but food plentiful and good quality with a lovely view once again. Not sure I would stay again; was good as a one off experience but sleep quality not great.

Room Tip: Pay extra and get the view and ensuite.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2018 via mobile

The Q station was not what we expected it was very hot and the rooms have no air conditioning
The room was really small and we were travelling with our 11 month old son it was really inconvenient that we couldn't drive our car close to our rooms we had to catch a bus from the top of the hill down to the rooms carting everything on the bus and If we wanted to leave we had to call the bus to get back to our car - very annoying!
We were booked in to stay 2 nights we didn't even stay the night, the heat with a baby and small room was unbearable.
So disappointed.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Caitlin B
Reviewed 8 January 2018

The whole National Park and Historical aspect was wonderful.
The room was ordinary, there is surely a way to put air conditioning in a historical building! They have it in the restaurant but not the guest rooms!!! It was 43C in Sydney and the room was disappointing for the discomfort.
The staff working on the tour desk was very short about the need for closed shoes for the Ghost tour, so we had to go down to Manly and buy shoes BUT they did not enforce it on the tour! Others were in thongs!
It would have also been nice if the reception staff took a minute to explain the unusual need for shuttle buses to and from the rooms.
Good stay but could have been better with some planning from the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid in hot weather!
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim C
Reviewed 7 January 2018

While the beautiful property itself certainly scores a 4/5. What made this experience so negative was poor treatment of staff in such searing hot conditions. Today the temperatures in Sydney reached 45 degrees celsius during the hottest part of the day. Yet the staff at the Boiler Room restaurant were all out in the sun working in thick pants and long navy shirts. They were visibly sweaty, which is not aesthetically pleasing to see when they bring out your food, and by their body language you could see they were incredibly uncomfortable. Which made me uncomfortable for them.I don't even want to know how the chefs looked in the hot kitchen!!! I am so unimpressed with the performance of management, that they could not reach an alternative for the staff in such conditions. Please lift your game!! Otherwise the service and food could not have been better! A credit to the staff working in conditions like this today.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank alanamacabe2445
Alison L, General Manager at Q Station Sydney Harbour National Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear alanamacabe2445

Thank you for your recent review and the concerns that you had with our staff in the hot weather. Being situated in a National Park the staff here at Q Station need to wear uniforms that protect them from the environment and sun.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the service and food they provided.

Kind regards