“Still a favourite.. ”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Balmain
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Went back with friends after a few months away, booked in the afternoon for that night. Friendly and quick service, sashimi was fabulous, fresh and of high quality. The eggplant is amazing!!! Meals were filling but light and well cooked and presented. They have BYO which is fantastic and rare to find.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

First let me say I actually lived in Japan for 5 years so my comparison is based on my actual experience. We ordered Tempura Pawns and got shrimp in a sauce. First bad thing. Meso soup was great but the bowl was so small you got three sips. Had a selection of meats on sticks but they had very little taste. This is a BYOB and they did not want us to sit and drink before dinner. Kept coming over to get our order.

While it was ok I found another place in Balmain that does it better.

1  Thank David H
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

Our favourite Japanese restaurant - we love the sushi especially the chef's specials! Highly recommended for great service, amazing food, and reasonable price!!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Went to the Samurai with a small group of six. I wanted to select my own food but the others were going to do shared tasters. So I acquiesced. Well, the gyozos, fresh salmon sashimi came out followed by soft shelled crab.The presentations were very artistically done and so fresh!! The sample of green tea and bean ice cream served with pear was abit different for my ice cream taste buds and not sweet which I enjoy. The service was A-1 and I could actually hear anyone at our table speaking quite clearly without background noise or music. I'll definitely return.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Balmain's Samurai is quite small and cosy and is more a cafe than a restaurant. The food is excellent, the ambience buzzy, the staff are attentive and prices are reasonable. No wonder it is so popular. If you plan to come here, it definitely pays to book. Another plus: it is BYO with a nominal corkage charge. There is a pub directly across the road if you forget to bring a bottle.
Quite a wide ranging menu with most of the favourites you see at other Japanese restaurants across Australia plus a few you don't always get like okonomiyaki and gyoza. And there are one or two unexpected ring-ins like tacos (Japanese-style). As with any decent Japanese restaurant, Samurai's presentation of meals is a true art-form. The crispy salmon roll looked too perfect to eat (well, almost). Simple and inexpensive desserts - and a very reasonable bill when it comes time to pay up. Very hard to beat.