“Terrific Tapas and Spanish Wines”

Ranked #1 of 141 Restaurants in Balmain
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Balmain
Description: Fun lively restaurant with authentic Spanish cuisine and sumptuous surrounds.. Live music every weekend!! Great for small or large functions and gatherings, we also have a beautifully appointed private dining room!
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My husband and I recently visited Alegrias and enjoyed an outstanding meal. We were here on a Saturday night at 8 pm; we were almost immediately seated upstairs, away from the flamenco music. (The music was rather loud so we were happy to be away from it). The food was some of the best tapas we've ever had! We definitely recommend the assorted meats and cheeses platter, the meatballs, the beef empanadas, and the zucchini, all so good! The wines, not surprisingly, were mostly from Spain, but it was a nice variety and we enjoyed 2 bottles. But the dessert was the best, churros with chocolate sauce, amazingly delicious, we would fly back to Sydney just for the churros!
The only disappointment of the night was the service; we went long periods of time with not seeing our waiter. It became a running joke with the table next to us. Other than that it was a lovely evening, if we ever make it back to Sydney, we will most definitely visit again.

1  Thank TheZackClan
Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at Alegrias Spanish Tapas, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Hi TheZackClan,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit and experience here at Alegrias. I'm pleased to hear that you had from what I can see a mostly lovely time and experience and that there were a number of elements of your visit you enjoyed. Saturday night's are a lot of fun with the Flamenco show, and the noise and vibe are very Spanish.. I'm glad that there were some stand out dishes on the menu you liked, and I'll let the chef know that the churros were a hit.

We do have a large number of Spanish wines on the menu, as while Australia is a great wine producer and creator of some spectacular vintages, to provide travelers or Spanish expats with a taste of home, we love to showcase and share this with other. Pleased you found several you enjoyed.

I'm sorry that the area which was lacking was the service. I'll be sure to pass this onto our restaurant manager and owner. Saturday evenings can be a little busy, but that's no excuse. Please accept our apologies, and we'll be certain to take this feedback on board to look at ways to better improve our guest experience and dining.

Please if and when you're back in Sydney come back and dine, we'll have the Churros ready and waiting for you.

Thanks again,

Chrissy Symeonakis
Alegrias Spanish Tapas

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Great food, awesome Flamenco dances! It's just a really nice and authentic atmosphere!!! Loved it!! Thanks so much for the evening Kevin:)

Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at Alegrias Spanish Tapas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Hi Marlies F,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit and experience here at Alegrias. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed dining with us, and that you enjoyed the entertainment from Flamenco Del Mar. I'll be sure to pass on your comments and compliments to our staff and team.

Thank you for getting in touch, we appreciate and I'll let Kevin know of your message and recommendation.

Thanks
Chrissy S

Reviewed 18 July 2017

This restaurant is absolutely fantastic! The food is very good and the service is exceptional. I had a party here for 32 guests and all of them commented on how good Alegrias is! The staff are warm, friendly and efficient. They looked after anything we wanted and nothing was a problem. The food was beautiful, fantastic produce and cooked perfectly, enjoyed by everyone. As a result, my daughter had a great birthday and I couldn't thank them enough. Just an exceptional restaurant!

Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at Alegrias Spanish Tapas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

Hi Maria,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit and experience here at Alegrias. I'm pleased to hear that you had a lovely evening and that you elected to entrust us with such a special evening and occasion.

I'll be sure to pass on your comments and compliments onto our staff and team. I'll be sure to let everyone know of your beautiful comments and we're pleased to hear that your daughter had a lovely birthday.

Thanks for your recommendation, we appreciate it and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Muchas Gracias

Chrissy S

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Felt I was in Spain. Big dark wooden tables. Flamenco dancers. Singer. Fiesta vibe. Great paella, Spanish wine. Delightful service. Down side was I was a little cold. Big drafty room with a mezzanine level, full of charm but difficult to heat up.

Chrissy S, Public Relations Manager at Alegrias Spanish Tapas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Hi spiceylulu,

Thanks for your feedback and review. we're pleased to hear that you dined and joined us on a Saturday night here at Alegrias. The Flamenco show and entertainment is very popular and as you mentioned, just like a taste of Spain here.

We do have a fireplace which we do have foaring as well as the heating on, but some nights as mentioned it can be a little cooler. Our recommendation is that if you dine with us again in winter, or the cooler months when you book as to be seated upstairs as the heat usually rises, or ask to be near the fireplace.

The building is an old heritage listed church made form sandstone and we do our best to heat it as we can (though we are limited with some modifications). Maybe some more Sangria and some dancing will help get the blood flowing? :)

Feedback is always appreciated and thank you for sharing your visit with us and others, we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Muchas Gracias,

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Coming from belgium And visiting for the first time, this place was Amazing!!! You should visit, the people are Great

Hi Seppe V,

Thanks for your kind words, feedback, review and recommendation. I'm pleased to hear that you visited whilst in Sydney and that you enjoyed your visit.

I'll be sure to pass on your comments and compliments onto our staff and team.

Thanks for getting in touch, we appreciate it.

Muchas Gracias,