3,884 results
All reviewsmurphy bedall you can eatsouth beachsunny islesocean viewpool sideprivate beachgreat beachrental carhutstikimichellepoolsidecvsftlauderdale
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I was extremely nervous about staying here after reading several reviews but overall, our stay was very nice. I would go back. I was disappointed with our room upon arrival because we did not have the divider wall nor did we have a second TV as described on the website. The room was clearly in need of some minor repairs but it was functional. We did have an ocean front room which I had reserved so I was pleased with that. I was also annoyed that our room was on the 2nd floor (wanted to be higher) and right next to the exit door to the pool area.. but it ended up being very convenient and not very noisy as I expected. I asked about the room layout the next morning and was told that not all the one bedrooom "suites" have the wall or 2nd TV. The front desk person did offer to look for a different room for us but my husband didn't want to move because he liked the location of our room (I'll explain later)....but a second TV would have been nice for our 12 yr old. We were there for 6 days and it rained and/or thunderstormed every single day. We ran from the beach during torrential downpours and lightening at least once every day. As stated before, the location of our room ended up being a plus. Our room was right by the entrance when bunches of people were running in AND we didn't have to wait for the elevators with the other masses.

The Pelican restaurant on the pier was very nice. The food was good and all the people working there were super nice. We rented a hut one day and umbrella's for the rest and all the ocean front attendants were super nice. After the rain stopped and we went back out to the ocean, they would put our umbrella's back up for us. All the outside attendants constantly kept the beach area and the pool area nice, clean and organized. They even squeegeed the pool deck and the tables EVERY time it rained....which was quite often.

We chose valet parking which was quick and convenient. They have several attendants on duty. This is the 3rd hotel we've stayed at on the ocean in this general area and the $15 valet parking is very reasonable. We've paid as much as $25/day.

I was afraid of the bed bug reports and I honestly can't say whether I was bitten or not. I can say that my husband and daughter most definitely were not. My husband and I sat on the balcony late evenings quite often and we were attacked my ninja gnats and mosquitos. I know my bites on my legs were from those occasions. But after being there for three nights, I noticed several bright red bites on my back one morning and I'm not quite sure where they came from. They could have easily come from being outdoors the night before or the bed. I began to wonder if it was the bed because there were 11 bites in a cluster. Kinda odd for a mosquito or gnat. Anyway, I did a bed bug check (mattresses only) as soon as we checked in and thought all was clear but later realized I didn't check the night stand (after reading how to check for bed bugs on the web when we got home. wish I had checked the web in the hotel as we had a laptop with us but I was in denial). I was quite certain they had come from outdoors when my husband wasn't bitten but also read later that it's not uncommon for only one person to be bitten. But I don't want to give them a bad rap because I'm really not sure but please do some research on how to check for bed bugs and check your room out before you take it.

I was also concerned with the reports of things missing but we locked our laptop up in the safe and locked the suitcases up before we left the room and didn't have any problems.

Again, the beach area is absolutely awesome. We loved all the kids playing, the daily music and the activities so we would return for these things alone. We've stayed farther south on the beach in Surfside and this area is the best!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Dawling
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We had a fantastic trip. We used American Transportation to get from the airport to the the hotel. It was the cheapest we found. The drivers were very nice and professional.

We used the conceirge to arrange our activities. Highly recommend this service. I think his name was Patricio and he was so nice and helpful. He made all our plans for us and printed everything out. We went to the Mai Kai Dinner Show one night (very entertaining) and the next day we drove to the keys and went snorkeling. He arranged the rental car for us and the car rental guy brought the car to us at the hotel and picked the car up at the hotel. The car rental company was Prestige Car Rentals and the guy's name was Enrique. Again, super super nice and professional.

We had a two bedroom suite with two balconies and one bathroom. Our room was on the lower level and had stairs going right to the pool. It was perfect for us. Our group consisted of my mother and her twin sister, me, my son, his girlfriend and my daughter, age12. We all had a great time. Everyone enjoyed the tiki bar. The drinks are high, but everyone was very nice that worked there. You could eat lunch there pretty reasonable.

The beach is right there. The water was crystal clear. Didn't like the fact that they wouldn't let me and my daughter have lounge chairs one afternoon around 5:00. I asked why and they said that's when they usually start picking them up. Check in is at 3:00 so that doesn't leave you much time at the beach the first day you get there. You can sit on the sand, but the chairs are really nice and convenient.

We ate supper at the Tiki Bar on the Pier the last night we were there. It was really good and our waitress was very nice and friendly. She even took our picture for us. You really should have supper there at least one night. It's a great view, and the food is reasonably priced. It's too bad the rest of the pier isn't fixed.

Our room was outdated, but perfectly fine for us. One bedroom had a door, and the other had a wall that slid out and closed the room off from the murphy bed. Everyone had their own room and own tv. We also had a fridge and microwave.

There are plenty of places to eat right across the street and down a block. There's also a CVS where you can get some groceries and anything you might have forgot. If you are looking for a gift shop, there's a WINGS about 6 blocks down that has t-shirts, swimsuits, hats, magnets, clothes, etc., really nice store, reasonable prices.

Oh yeah, we checked our bags in when we got there and went to the beach while we waited for our room to be ready. We got there early and our room was ready around 3:00. We had lunch at the tiki bar and then went to the beach. The guys that checked our bags were really nice too.

If we asked for more towels, or anything, we got them really fast. Most of the staff was really nice. We would definately go back again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This hotel is listed as a "luxury hotel" but there isn't anything luxurious about it. There is a night time security guard but there is definitely one needed during the day as well. While I was there, the Sunny Isles police were called at least twice that I know of-once, to break up a fight in the pool area. The hotel itself needs a MAJOR renovation. Old doors, carpet, windows, paint, etc. A little bit of renovation would go a LONG way here. I was told there was renovation going on but it wasn't in my room. When I sat on the couch, I almost sunk to the floor.

LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of families around so if you are looking for a quiet, romantic place, look elsewhere. They do cater to the families as there are daily games for all to enjoy-and they do a good job.

Beach and the Atlantic Ocean are FANTASTIC! Plenty of place to tan, plenty of places to walk.

The bed in the room was comfortable although I heard from others that their bed was too soft or way too hard. I previously read a post regarding bed bugs and was glad to not have experienced any of those during my week long stay.

There are PLENTY of different types of food places to walk to in the area. I did not rent a car and enjoyed walking the few blocks to....

Milam's market(to fill up the in-room fridge with groceries)

San Telmo Restaurant-16850 Collins Ave(Argentinian food that was PHENOMENAL!) Make sure you visit them mid-week and on as they get their fresh food stuffs delivered on Wednesdays.

El Tropico(17020 Collins) has authentic Cuban coffee and sandwiches. Delicious!!!

If you love fast food chicken that is grilled over a flame, check out Pollo Tropical at 17084 Collins. These restaurants are all just north of the hotel.

If you are looking for vegetarian/vegan foods, just head south about three blocks to Miami Juice.(16210 Collins Ave) Their food was out of this world delicious. I'm going back tomorrow before I leave.

All in all, I would only recommend this hotel to other families since they do a good job of catering to families.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mlempx4
Reviewed 25 June 2009

I had read a couple reviews online about this hotel and people not getting the rooms they booked. It seemed like most people though enjoyed their time so I booked anyway thinking it must be a rare thing to happen. We get to the hotel room that evening and we are told that the room we booked was given away and the only room they had was basically a side room that was small and smelled and faced the building next to it. We had booked and oceanview room. We were comped the parking and given a buffet breakfast but I would have rather paid for parking and gotten what we reserved. It seemed other people had their rooms given away too. So just know if you reserve a room there it is not for sure that they will keep that room for you.

Also the manager you talk with after, Matthew, makes it sound like the hotel goes way out of the way by giving you free parking because they didn't give you your right room. I would not stay again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We have purchased and used our Newport Beachside Hotel timeshare whenever we travel to Miami for business/pleasure. It is over ten years and the rooms have changed little if at all. Despite the facelift and external paint job the corridors and rooms are crying out for attention. The annual maintenance fees whci are too high need to be used by the owners to uplift the rooms. The other general areas have been worked on so we look forward to seeing the start when we visit later this year.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business