“Great Hotel”

Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sunny Isles Beach
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Good hotel for families with kids. good price. The hotel is clean service was good in general no problems rooms were clean. We tried the breakfast place it was ok...kind of far from the airport a good 30 minutes and theres nothing happening around either quiet at night...But the beach was worthwhile and 5-10 minutes drive to aventura mall... Not a place for party people it's far from south beach...

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank BellaMami
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 June 2011

Where do I begin? When we arrived the room that we were sent to was already occupied. I went to the desk and was given another room which was smaller than the one we had booked. When I read of terrible parking I will always think of this hotel. The beach is beautiful but after a short time you get tired of staying at the hotel and when you are at this hotel you have little other choice but to stay there. You cannot leave unless you walk and the bad part is there is not a good restaurant (with the exception of Dennys) within walking distance. The entire focus of the hotel seems to be on selling unfortunate souls timeshares! Everywhere you look are men in suits and women in highheels wineing and dineing people to invest in timeshares. When finally we attempted to escape the head porter was so rude about using one of the carts to bring our stuff down that we made 3 trips up and down the extremely slow elevators carrying our bags by hand. We will sleep in the car instead of staying at the Newport again! One other thing, the wireless connection is beyond bad! We stayed for 4 days and the room was cleaned twice and only vacuumed once.

Room Tip: Don't stop here!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
11  Thank greggwill2
Reviewed 3 June 2011

My husband and I stayed there for 5 nights. I was hesitant about this hotel after reading the reviews but I had a family member that went to this hotel a couple years ago and liked it. Best part was the pier which unfortunately is being taken down-dissapointed about that. Check in at around 11 pm was smooth. I already knew about the resort fee so I wasn't surprised but they should tell you on check in not check out. We didn't have a car so parking was not a problem. When we arrived there was a party and the main lobby was pretty loud. We got our room (216) which turned out to be on the same level. The positive was that we didn't have to wait for the elevator but I was concerned with safety and noise (especially with drunk people walking around). The room turned out to be renovated. Two flat screen TVs (one in the bedroom area and one in the sitting area). The bathroom was nice although the sink/counter looked a bit beat up. There was one remote control for the two TVs. The sleeping area and sitting area were nicely divided by a modern sliding door. Our view was mainly the pool and not too much of the ocean since it was ground floor. I went to the front desk and politely asked if there is anything available at least a floor up (figured it didn't hurt to ask). The girl was nice and found room 800 something. My husband and I went up there and as we stepped out, it didn't look or smell too good. It wasn't renovated. The room was even worse (smaller than the one downstairs, view was more onto the street-room closer to the corner of the building). When looking down there was the roof top of the lobby building and the pool and ocean were far away. The bathroom had mold and there was old furniture and a small tv. There was a big old fridge, didn't check for a safe or microwave. Did I mention it smelled? We went downstairs and decided to stay at the room on the ground floor. I put in a request that we would switch to a room that was partial ocean view, pool view but never followed up after we slept there and unpacked (nice furniture to put clothes in-plenty of room). Overall, it was a little noisy at times (if people walked by the balcony but also one day I woke up to a drill-they were doing something on the ground floor).
The only small issues we had was the tub was not working, we couldn't figure out how to turn on the shower and we needed new bateries for our remote controller (the maintenance guy was nice-he gave us a new remote control and showed us where to turn on the shower). I felt a little stuppid but I really didn't want to end up taking things apart. The shower head was loose anyway. You would think that there would be like a picture guide with what the hotel has to offer along with what you can find in your room. I didn't discover the silverware drawer until the second day so we ended up buying plastic utensils. But we used the small fridge, microwave and safe neatly stored in a closet. We ate out (mexican restaurant nearby, also an awesome Russian restuarant-Lula Kebab House- close to the trump hotel-longer walk but nice.) We had snacks and cereal from CVS (across the street) so our breakfast was that. There was no coffee maker so no coffee for my husband :)There are a bunch of restuarants and fast food places on Collins Ave so didn't need to bother eating at the hotel. Although I wouldn't even know what the offered (no menu or anything like that was advertised). Overall, if looking for a place where the hotel staff doesn't sell things-this is a good hotel because no one bothers you, the beach staff was nice asking if you need anything. On the other hand if looking for any luxury and service, service, service-this is not the place. Another big problem was no wi-fi internet in our room-we could only get service in the lobby (not always-there were two different newport internet services that would pick up and we never knew which one works). Also, poor reception for cell phone in the room as well-may have been the fact we were low and in the corner. Our balcony was bigger but even though this was a non smoking hotel, when I was just sitting enjoying the view, a cigarette landed just missing me by an inch. So smoking on the balcony and throwing cigarettes is allowed? I could have told someone but there were so many people out on their balconies that it would be impossible to know who threw it. If you are looking for a safe place for family I wouldn't think this is good. We were stopped by two drunk guys who wanted our beer that my husband was carrying. We got out of the situation but still, a lot of strangers around this nightclub. We didn't have one of those do not disurb signs so we used the lock on the door to block the cleaning lady from coming too early :P
Pros: nice beach, good pool, good cleaning service, OK rooms (only if renovated-but still could be better), good location. There is a jet ski rental right on their beach. Also fiy-the hotel building is tiny compared to the buildings surrounding it (ask seen on other pictures)
Cons: nonexistent wifi access, overpriced for a hotel like this, outdated in some parts (dirty balconies), inconsistent room decor, no pier and constant renovations?
Pro vs con- you decide: minimal service
I don't know if I would stay there. If you get a good deal on this it may be worth it but only on a renovated room. If planning to spend more time on the beach and pool-it's very nice.

Room Tip: Ask politely
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ela2705
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Just returned from a six night stay at this hotel. I made the reservation though a timeshare exchange. The hotel/resort staff for the most part were very pleasant and professional. The main lobby to the hotel appeared to have been renovated recently, and looked pretty nice. Check in was fast, room was ready upon arrival. Be ready to make a decision on parking. Choices are self parking($15 per day) a distance away from the property, or valet parking($18 per day). Upon arrival to my room (11th flr), I was pleased with the ocean front view, king sized bed, two TV's (non-HDTV), sitting area, small refrigerator, small microwave, vanity sink, and fairly large bathroom. The only thing that seemed out of place was the decor. It appeared to be from the early or late 70's, very old, worn, and un-attractive. The rooms appear to be in need of a major renovation. The daily cleaning staff seemed professional and thorough, my room was cleaned daily in a satisfactory manner. The amenities on the property, restaurants and bars, were overpriced in my opinion. There were many close quality restaurants and fast food outlets within walking distance to take the sting out the cost of eating in the resort. The pool seemed nice, and of course the ocean was wonderful, great beach. On certain evenings, the lobby restaurant turns into a popular nightclub, attracting a fairly large crowd. From what I observed, the crowd was very young, and seemed to enjoy themselves. I happened to exit the elevator one evening, and the local police had two young men detained for some reason. While waiting for my car, the police escorted the men from the property. Overall, I personally will not be returning to this property. Not because of the staff, location, or over priced restaurants. The appearance of the rooms (decor), hallways, and guest areas seemed well below what was advertised. The nightclub idea (at my age) does not appeal to me either. It seemed to question the "secure" feeling I want to have when I vacation at a resort that demands that much money per stay. One thing to look forward to, a staff member informed me that the resort will be renovating the adjacent pier that the resort owns. He informed me that it should be complete within two years. Presently, it cannot be used, and is off-limits. In closing, I guess it depends on your tastes!

Room Tip: Book early, be friendly to the desk staff
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank tryto82
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I came to Florida after four years in Eastern Europe and was dreaming with a relaxed time by the beach and a piña colada. The hotel met all our expectations: Friendly housekeepers; excellent beach service with towels and several options where to seat; fantastic piña coladas! Grace, one of the beach service staff was great and incredibly quick with all our food and drinks orders; great sea water, specially in the afternoons were the sea was calm.

great time!

Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
1.8 km away
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
#5 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach
2.7 km away
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Resort
Ramada Plaza Marco Polo Beach Re...
#7 of 10 in Sunny Isles Beach

Been to Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK