“Ehh,,,, wasn't terrible but wouldn't go back!”

Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Nanuet, New York
“Ehh,,,, wasn't terrible but wouldn't go back!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

We went to this resort through RCI and we were quite disappointed about the whole experience at this resort. I booked this resort so far advance, forgot to check their extra additional fees.
THEY CHARGE MANDATORY $10 per day amenities fee that I was VERY unhappy about.
Unless you're staying at the resort everyday, hanging out on the beach all day--- why do you need to pay for amenities that you're not using?? Wireless didn't even work during our 4 day stay!

THERE'S $21 PARKING PER CAR with very limited parking spaces. We got lucky enough to
park at the resort property but we would have hated to park across the street.

CHECK IN:
It was the SLOWEST check in that I ever experienced!
It might've took about 30-40min. and it def. wasn't a pleasant start of a vacation.
They said they it was very busy for them, and it was saturday afternoon.

STUDIO ROOM:
We had a corner room 4110 on buiding 4, on the 4th floor.
Very disappointed that the ocean view was just through the window that wouldn't open.
I feel like if you're renting a studio room, you won't get the balcony.
The room was pretty small with hardly any counter space except for the dining table for two with 2 chairs only. This STUDIO room was for 4 people stay,,, but that's impossible unless you have 2 babies. It was a typical small size hotel room with a tiny kitchen area.
The room didn't even have luggage tables.

BATHOOM:
Small and again with no counter space to put my makeup stuff.
Bathtub was old and showerhead was quality of a cheap motel. Very disappointed...
Though tiles looked like it was updated.

TV,DVD, CD player:
The room had a TV cabinet and was expecting to see a big rounded old tv, but they had LG LCD tv in there. Pleasantly surprised that they also had a DVD player.
They only have one alarm clock with radio functions. There's no CD player.

BED:
Wasn't terrible. Can't say that I couldn't sleep but it wasn't great. Linens were acceptable.

BEACH:
First day on the beach... was disappointed that there were seagrass all over.
But seagrass looked like it was cleaned up the next day. I guess it's the season.
Beach gets pretty deep so it's not a child friendly beach.
They provide beach chairs and umbrella's and free that comes with the $10 a day fee.

OVERALL:
again,, it wasn't terrible but wouldn't go back, and I won't recommend to my friends or families.

Room Tip: If you get Building 3 or 4-- it's close to the street but ocean is still visible if you're o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank elleno
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Overall, very disappointing experience and advise others to stay away. It’s incredible to me that this hotel had a 3.5 out of 5 star review on RCI and trip advisor. I think people are fooled into being generous with reviews because of the nearby beach.

This hotel only really has only two positives; beach front location and proximity to restaurants, malls, and the general area of Sunny Isles, which is fantastic.

However, that is where the positives end and the negatives mount.

We ‘stayed’ in a studio with a kitchen, bathroom, and living room. The room was not ready when we arrived and the cleaning crew was still at work. This is very frustrating after a long day of traveling. The sorry excuse for a ‘mattress’ folds down from the wall and consists of 3 inches of hard springs. Good luck sleeping on that. The sheets, blankets, pillows, etc are disgusting. I can’t imagine actually using them comfortably. There was always a bad smell in the room from the dirty water the cleaning crew used to mop the floor.

Everything is very old in this hotel. It was clearly built in the 1960s, hasn’t changed at all, and needs to be bulldozed to make room for more of the fabulous high rises on either side of the building.

The wifi was broken during the entire week. I’m still confused why the hotel took so long to address and fix this problem.

The lack of parking is ridiculous. If the small lot fills up, which it does every day, then you’ll be parking on the adjacent block and walking.

When I say we ‘stayed’ here, that means we used the kitchen and fridge to save some money on food and drinks for the week. The place was actually so unbearable that we made the decision to move to the hotel Sole just down the street and pay for both places. We used the Sole as our main bedroom and living area and only came back to the Ocean Strand for some meals to make food.

I'd strongly recommend against staying at this resort. What a disappointing rip off.

Room Tip: Don't get a studio room and all costs.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RWill272727
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My thinking is: If I see rust, but everything is clean, I'm gonna act like the rust ain't there. But I'm not going back unless I have to. Well that was my case. Rust in multiple areas in my unit.

However, my 1BR unit had great partial ocean views. Bldg 6.

But it also came with fast crawling bugs. I woke up to one crawling by my face on the bed. It was addressed the next day but not fixed until 48 hours later. It jacked up my sleep for 2 nights.

I used most of the resort to get my money's worth in amenities fee (per day). Wi-fi was included & will work slow depending on internet source. On my MAC, the Firefox Mozilla worked best. Safari was slow.

I didn't need a car to go light grocery shopping. I walked to Publix, Walgreens, Tony Romas and had other food options. I planned to drive but car rentals in FLL was out of cars. I took a cab. I suggest you plan to speak Spanish or you might be lost in translation with a few employees @beach, restaurant and spa. Jaime on beach chairs/umbrella duty was pleasant, but the other one acted disgruntled with me. Speaking Spanish didn't help, but I'm betting if I gave him $$ his attitude would've changed. He was friendly years ago when I visited their beach for one day. He was friendly and conversing in Spanish with others. How he treated me felt so wrong. I'm not going to list the other negatives.

There were a few frustrating moments here and I pray God blesses them. Although I don't intend to return, I'd be open to a free stay to give them another chance.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank SheilaIsTru
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Stayed in building 1 room number 302 in a two bedroom condo, from living room and master bedroom we had the most beautiful view of the ocean ,The condo had a large open plan livingroom /dinning / kitchen ,two bedrooms, two and a half baths . Outside a large swimming pool and gates leading out to the most beautiful beach with sun loungers and umbrellas .The staff are mostly spanish , as are the guests, and i found them to be friendly and very polite, A view problems with the elevator breaking down, meant we had to use the stairs, { free exercise } .I had a great stay here and would definitely return

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bertrand S, General Manager at Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear guests,
Thank you for your nice comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon! Best regards!
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

This resort is a paradise amidst the hustle and bustle of Collins Ave nestled between the high rise hotels and apartments. The resort is very clean and well cared for and our efficiecy unit was fairly well equipped and most of it was new, but the kitchen was far too small with no worktop space even though it had a hob to cook. No dishwasher but had thefridge been put outside of thekitchen area there was rom for it and would have given somework space. The reception is beautiful, gardens well cared for, pool sparking, restaurant excellent, parking undercover, staff very pleasant and efficient and we would return to stay in a bigger unit. Right on the beach and the highway and could have done with double glazing but for an old resort it was very good. Room needed a coffee table by the 2 chairs and we could not watch TV whilst sat at the table so room could have been arranged better.

Room Tip: Book a studio or 1 bedroom th efficency is very small
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,437 reviews
0.6 km away
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach Resort
Days Hotel - Thunderbird Beach R...
#8 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
#34 of 207 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,585 reviews
1.3 km away
Newport Beachside Hotel and Resort
Newport Beachside Hotel and Reso...
#6 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,342 reviews

Been to Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK