“Very Poor Service and Food”
Review of Howards Restaurant

Howards Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 7 Quick Bites in Welshpool
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 11
Cuisines: British
Description: Delicious, Homemade, Seasonal, Local Food Come and relax in Howards, our spacious 200 seat restaurant. Whether you fancy a full English or just a coffee and slice of cake you can be sure all our food is freshly prepared. We take great care in sourcing quality produce and keeping it local wherever possible. Hot lunches are served from noon until 3pm, offering all your favourites as well as daily specials (freshly made sandwiches and paninis are available until 4.30pm). If you fancy a night off, join us for an evening meal, every Thursday! Hot meals are available until 7pm, drinks, cakes and snacks available until 7.30pm.
Reviewed 29 May 2021

Having been to this restaurant on several occasions before, we decided to drop in for a Sunday roast. How disappointed we were. Took 45 minutes for our food to arrive and when it did, what a waste. Food was poor, small portions, cold and swimming in watery gravy. Can't believe it took so long to serve up what was already cooked and cost £10 each. Would have been better getting a supermarket meal deal.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (199)

Reviewed 21 May 2021

We were visiting the garden centre and decided to have coffee and a cake in the restaurant. I used my phone to do the QR Code check as required. We sanitised our hands thoroughly and waited to be seated. Even though I had done the QR code we were asked for contact details, names, phone number and postcode. We were then asked for I.D. I had some bank cards which I could show but my Husband had left all his at home and had nothing with him. We are both pensioners and very unlikely to be giving false information about who we were, but we were told, very bluntly, that unless we could show photo I.D. we wouldn’t be allowed in the restaurant. Really couldn’t understand why as we’d already given contact details. A couple of days later we went to another restaurant with friends and none of us were asked for I.D. I have checked on the Government website for Wales, and their is no legal requirement to show I.D!

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 11 December 2020

Stopped for lunch. The restaurant was very busy and has COVID procedures in place.
I waited about five minutes for a table; it was obvious that the staff were delivering to the tables and clearing and cleaning the tables as quickly as possible.

There were no menus on the tables (see Covid-19 procedures above) but someone recited the whole menu to me- it ranged from Christmas dinner to a glass of water, and included white or brown bread and extra fillings for the sandwiches e.g tomato, cucumber etc.

Payment was taken at the table when the food was served and drinks, cutlery and condiments brought to the table. The service was exceptional, especially given the circumstances and the large number of tables. The staff (I counted four to each table/order) were obviously working hard but were friendly and helpful.
The food was fresh, substantial, presented well and arrived promptly,

Howard’s is a big, busy place-yet not noisy, large windows make it bright and the floors and tables were clean.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 6 December 2020

Called for Sunday Lunch
Food was excellent service was very poor. Orders seemed to be taken in random orders. Had to wait 25 minutes for order to be taken. One couple next to our table came in after us and had their food before we had even ordered

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 15 November 2020

Waited 30minutes for someone to come to serve us before my partner went to ask at the counter. There was no menu just a toastie that cost £6 and a Sunday roast that looked like it was just lobbed on that plate. Waited another 40mins for the sandwiches and when it came we were heavily disappointed, it had like 4 crisps on the side and the sandwich looked like it’s been in blender. Do not recommend to anyone at all, would rather a tesco sandwich than whatever they were serving.

Date of visit: November 2020