All reviews muesli mrs evans cadair idris home made french doors homemade jams the ground floor stunning views upstairs room big appetite sheep farm working farm local honey fresh flowers b and b warm welcome wonderful room
Reviewed 7 August 2017

My husband and I stayed at Tyddyn Mawr, a sheep farm near Dolgellau, for 4 nights, but would happily have stayed a week longer. The B&B offers two very nice, spacious and comfortable rooms with excellent facilities, one of them on the ground floor, the other with a balcony. All the usual amenities were provided, even including several types of power adapters. Guests also enjoy the use of a cosy lounge / breakfast room.
Olwen, the friendly hostess, will give you great advice on walks, where to eat, local up-to-date weather forecasts, rainy day options etc. There is also plenty of information available in the lounge (walking maps, guides etc.).
Breakfast was plentiful and served every morning on a beautifully set table. What we really appreciated was the effort Olwen went into to make it special. Each morning there was another type of mini smoothie, another variety of fresh fruit and something different on the cooked part of the menu. Even the muesli was homemade (I should have asked for the recipe). Where breakfast in other places often tends to be predictable, here it was a pleasant surprise every morning.
Tyddyn Mawr is located on the slopes of Cadair Idris and forms a great base for many hikes in the area. Dolgellau, with its restaurants and shops, is at a short 5-10 minute drive (without a car / bycicle it may be less practical).

Reviewed 4 August 2017

We stayed at this very well run b&b for just one night but will definitely return. The location at the base of Cader Idris is simply magical and the attention to detail in the b&b exemplary. Olwen made us very welcome and we really did feel at home. Our room was tastefully furnished, very comfortable and spotlessly clean, fresh flowers adorned every room. Breakfast was outstanding and there was plenty of it. The homemade jams, marmalade and muesli were all divine and the local honey delicious. With melt in the mouth croissants, toast and a cooked breakfast as well we most certainly did not leave feeling hungry! Olwen your b&b is a credit to you, thank you for a wonderful stay and we hope to see you again in the Spring.

Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Great scenery, wonderful hostess, large clean, well furnished room, and very delicious, bountiful breakfast. We are experienced travelers from US but have never been to Wales before. What a great country and this hotel experience was perhaps the best we have had on the 6 different continents we have travelled.

Room tip: All rooms are special. Not just a hotel room but a wonderful experience overall.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Mrs. Evans made us feel very welcome during our two week stay at Beudy Uchaf. We tremendously enjoyed this comfortable, well equipped and spacious cottage set in a most peaceful location! We loved walking from the cottage to Gregennen Lake and to the top of the Cader Idris via the Pony Path. We would defintely stay here again!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2017

My friend and I rented the two rooms on the property. When we arrived, even though it was a little drizzly, the views from the property and our windows/doors were stunning. Olwen had gone to the trouble to get our rooms ready early so that we didn't have to take an extra taxi to drop off bags and hang out in town and then come back. She has brochures and maps of all kinds for walks, trails, restaurants, and activities. The rooms are so spacious. I liked to face my chair toward the balcony to sit and enjoy the view after I made a cup of tea with the pot in my room. We did multiple beautiful trails with this as our home base. Olwen even dropped us off at a couple. She is so kind and accommodating! Breakfasts were feasts and so beautifully plated. I was in the area to go to the land of my ancestry. Olwen got into the spirit of it and drove me to various places that were in my family. She even found a relative who drove in to take us to dinner! You either need a car, have to use taxis, or have to be content to do the walks that are right at your back door. Town is 3 miles away for dinners. You could walk if you haven't already spent your day hiking and tired yourself out. But it is all downhill one way and uphill another. I recommend taxis. It is a 24 minute bus ride from town to seaside Barmouth. The T3 bus was free on Saturday. There is also a bus to Harlech Castle, which I highly recommend for an amazing outing. Wales is incredibly beautiful, and I can't say enough good things about Olwen and Tyddyn Mawr!

Room tip: There are only two rooms, and both are very nice.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends