“Worth the Wait!”

Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: At Gus's we're all about the food! Gus's restaurants are low-key with a southern flare where you will hear soulful classics emitting from the jukebox. Many people call Gus's a "blues-infused southern eatery." At Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken we focus on the chicken! We begin by using quality chicken which is treated to our special preparation techniques before being marinated in our proprietary batter. Once it's properly fried to a crisp golden-brown, we serve it up with a plate full of southern inspired sides and a cold beer or sweet tea. The result? Customers line up at our door before we're even open!
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

This place is small, and very popular. We waited 30 minutes to get in -- but it was worth the wait!

The food is wonderful! Not just the chicken, but also the sides.

Also, even though we came at a busy time, our server gave us her full attention, and we never felt rushed. A great experience!

Reviewed 19 November 2017

Great flavor, tender chicken, amazing sauces, awesome service. What else? a yes good prices...

So it is a no brainer to visit Gus when in Memphis. Search for different locations.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

I had read a review from a famous chef who dines here when in Memphis. We all agreed that it was a must try. We went to the original location. After a brief wait-we timed it perfectly by chance, we were seated. What a great low, key, dine. Fried chicken comes out fresh from the fryer with sides of your choice. Chicken was crispy on the outside and moist in the inside. I do not eat much fried food, but found myself eating skin and all. Beer selection is very good and they have jumbo sizes. My husband had the biggest Budweiser I have ever seen. ( He was not driving). Two disappointments: The pie-we had a coconut chess pie. I review it as mediocre. The other is finding out that this is now a chain.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

I definitely go out of my way to find the best fried chicken wherever I go, but my husband..... not so much. Because he doesn’t like the breading typically. Well we both loved this chicken. It’s extremely crispy and juicy, but with no breading???? Somehow they spiced the chicken up (it’s hot chicken) without using any flour vehicle to make the spices stick! Soooooo good. And I would return just for the fries and baked beans, BTW! They were equally fantastic. We’re from out of town, here for 2 days, but might go back!!!

Reviewed 11 November 2017

It was great to eat at this particular restaurant. A little out of the way, it's a simple, comfortable walk from Beale Street. There was a 30 minute wait at a Friday lunchtime. The interior is uber-authentic, with an early-20th century tin ceiling and a later (50s?) style of wall tiling. Friendly, fast service. Great, classic selection of items, focusing on the fried chicken, of course. My assessment of the chicken: I thought my pieces were cooked a little dark, and it wasn't the plumpest chicken ever. The coating was brilliant, however: spicy but not obnoxiously hot. The sides of cole slaw and beans were soothing. The fries were perfectly dusted, though some fries arrived cold (hotter, better ones underneath). The pie...I loved the coconut; the chess pie was too custardy for my taste. Overall, this is very good food, not the best ever, but it is great value (two people eating two plates, two sides, two slices of pie and no drinks for under $30 including tip). What's sad to me is that this is now a nationwide chain, with locations from L.A. to Chicago to Philly. That takes away the specialness of a place like this, and when I found this out, it changed my mind about buying a t-shirt. But I get it: the way our economy works, if you have a formula that works, take investors' money and see if you can make a mint by taking it elsewhere.