“What great food”

Central BBQ
Ranked #26 of 1,627 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This place was recommended to us by a friend and our hotel, The Windham. Had the full rack of ribs with fries and slaw. The ribs were perfect, and meaty!! The fries were good, and the slaw was average, I did not think the slaw had a lot of flavor. Overall...I would certainly return. In a great location too, right across the street from the Civil Rights museum, which we visited. If you want good BBQ...this is the joint!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Amazing BBQ! Had the half slab plate with green beans and potato salad. Laid back homey atmosphere with patio and inside seating. Too full to try a dessert!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very busy right next door to the Lorraine Hotel but worth it. We both had the pulled pork and coleslaw sandwich which was amazing. Nice selection of beers and live music. Nice vibe. Can’t wait to go back again.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Lunch at the Central was excellent. You better be hungry if you get the large pulled pork sandwich. Baloney sandwich was just as advertised and made us think of our childhood home. Nice selection of craft brews on tap. Efficient courteous service. Couldn’t have been better.

Reviewed 7 October 2018 via mobile

Our family was in Memphis visiting because our son had a football game there. We had been told by several people that when in Memphis you must go to Central BBQ....so we did. Ummm...maybe we went on a bad day (Saturday at 4ish) but I will never go back again or recommend someone else to go there. The workers were just plain rude. It started with the guy at the main counter not wanting to take the order of the people in front of us and then us. He kept trying to put it off on a couple of other female workers. They would argue quietly but right in front of all of us. Eventually he took the one in front of us and then pawned ours off on another guy who just stood there blankly for a while before I asked if we could order. When I got my drink cup and filled it I couldn’t find the lids. They weren’t sitting by the straws on the table beside the drink machine so I asked an employee walking by. He just pointed toward the table and said they were there. I looked again and still didn’t see them so I asked again where were they. He pointed again and said in a way that I could certainly understand I was completely bothering him that they were right there. Turns out they had them hanging on the door frame going outside to the patio which was near by the drink machine but didn’t stand out in any way. I just thanked him in the kind way we are accustomed to in Texas and went on my way. The nachos were pretty good but the beef brisket was dry, grey colored, and very difficult to cut which is not like how a BBQ brisket should ever be. Then the slaw was just gross and I really like slaw normally. My husband had a slab of ribs and although they were ok they were certainly not anything to write home about. I will say there was a young manager there who I saw working and seemed very polite and helpful but a few of the others need some major customer service training.