“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Ridgeland, Ms
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is literally across the street from the University of Memphis. All rooms open to the inside so the safety factor is huge. All rooms are suites and are clean and quiet. The restaurant has a great breakfast buffet.
My wife and I always stay here when in Memphis and have nothing but great things to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: all rooms are fine with no noisy spots we have ever encountered
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Taylorsville, Ms
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Everything was great. Our room was very clean and everyone was very nice even with a very late check in. We got great service and had lots of towels and a very clean bathroom..i loved that it was a suit with two rooms and tvs so the kids and grown ups got to watch . I'd stay there again. We are military family and we were thanked for our service. Its very kind.

Room Tip: we were on the forth floor and the kids loved the ride up
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Everything was GREAT from the staff to the food love it all.I will stay here everytimeI am in Memphis. The Young lady Ashley that checked me in was very friendly and had great customer service. Shenna checked me out and she was as lovely as Ashlye. My bed was soft as a cloud and the food was great.My watiress Verronica for breakfast was caring she asked me was i ok often which I loved about the service. I am coming back to Memphis in July foa my FAMILY REUNION and i will make sure i tell my family about the Memphis State Holiday Inn. Thank You for your great service.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Williamstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Very well maintained. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Only complaint was no complimentary breakfast. Bed was very comfortable. Even though all rooms face the atrium, they are very quiet.

Room Tip: All suites so all the same
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The place was a bit upscale for a Holiday Inn so it was a pleasant surprise but the less than average service proved it was a Holiday Inn. My key card didn't work in the room that was provided and I was told my housekeeping to just call her when I wanted to enter my room. At 8pm there were no maintenance person available to fix the lock. After an hour the front desk decided to move me to another room which didn't have clean towels and a dirty toilet. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her evening and would barely look at me when I spoke to her. I asked for a conditioner since prior to this I was at the Holiday Inn in DT Memphis, turns out only DT hotels get conditioner. The answer to the conditioner was "we don't provide that service". The DT Memphis Holiday Inn wasn't as nice as this one but the staff was pleasant, they bent over backwards to ensure my stay was pleasant. Too bad the Univ of Memphis location thinks its too good to provide service.

Room Tip: Don't bother, they don't really care about service.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravellingHK
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It is through guest comments that we are able to learn from our mistakes. This situation is truely not indicitive of the service we are capable of providing. I have met with the Housekeeping, Maintanence and Front Desk staff to address these concerns in an effort to avoid a similar situation. Although it is not a requirement of the brand, we have elected to provide conditioner to our guests going forward. The lock situation required a part be overnighted and it was fixed the next day after the guest departed.

Our entire staff regrets the situation and hopes you will not allow this isolated incident to tarnish your image of our hotel.

We hope to see you when you are in Memphis!

Debbie Cowgill