“Lagging in Service”

Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis
Ranked #48 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The place was a bit upscale for a Holiday Inn so it was a pleasant surprise but the less than average service proved it was a Holiday Inn. My key card didn't work in the room that was provided and I was told my housekeeping to just call her when I wanted to enter my room. At 8pm there were no maintenance person available to fix the lock. After an hour the front desk decided to move me to another room which didn't have clean towels and a dirty toilet. She acted like I was an inconvenience to her evening and would barely look at me when I spoke to her. I asked for a conditioner since prior to this I was at the Holiday Inn in DT Memphis, turns out only DT hotels get conditioner. The answer to the conditioner was "we don't provide that service". The DT Memphis Holiday Inn wasn't as nice as this one but the staff was pleasant, they bent over backwards to ensure my stay was pleasant. Too bad the Univ of Memphis location thinks its too good to provide service.

Room Tip: Don't bother, they don't really care about service.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TravellingHK
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thank you for your feedback. It is through guest comments that we are able to learn from our mistakes. This situation is truely not indicitive of the service we are capable of providing. I have met with the Housekeeping, Maintanence and Front Desk staff to address these concerns in an effort to avoid a similar situation. Although it is not a requirement of the brand, we have elected to provide conditioner to our guests going forward. The lock situation required a part be overnighted and it was fixed the next day after the guest departed.

Our entire staff regrets the situation and hopes you will not allow this isolated incident to tarnish your image of our hotel.

We hope to see you when you are in Memphis!

Debbie Cowgill

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed at the hotel so that I would be at the University of Memphis for a business presentation the next day. I booked on my way to the hotel, so I was very surprised when the guest service associate offered me a lower price of $130.
When I got there to check in, she immediately told me about the awesome opportunities that being a Priority Club Member entails and when I signed up, I got 1,500 bonus points.
The suite was clean and crisp and the bed and pillows were soooo comfortable!!!
The only flaw was that the bathroom was a little bit smaller than I had expected and likewise the bathtub, but everything was clean and restocked.

The bad part about the room; The ironing board and iron were both completely useless. When you put water in the iron, it leaks unless it is on the highest setting and the ironing board is broken so I had to be very careful when using it.

Room Tip: Any room is great, but make sure you check the iron and ironing board.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is a nice place with a pleasant enough front desk and staff. The rooms are all suites, which make it particularly pleasant for families, with two TVs, one for dad and ESPN, and one for the kids in the other room. The room was very clean and well appointed. All rooms face an atrium, so women might feel mixed; on one hand you are visible to those in the lobby so staff can see you going in and out of your room, but so could someone else, so it's a toss up. The breakfast buffet was the usual fare, but no made to order egg dishes, etc. available. I am a low fat vegetarian, so fruit and oatmeal was it. Lots of sausage, cheese scrambled eggs (likely powdered) and so forth, but special requests are out. Staff were very attentive in the restaurant. Two complaints, the first picky, but the exercise room is small and one of the treadmills did not work. Given that there were only two in a fairly large place that's a problem. You could not use the elevation, so if you like to work out on the road, you better wait in line for the one treadmill that someone else may be on for an hour. More important, I arrived at 2:30 pm and there were absolutely no food options until the restaurant opened at 5:30pm. They have a snack area off the lobby with all the junk humans should not eat, cokes and cheetos and candy bars. The nearest restaurant is a mile away (Taco Bell), so if you came by van and don't have a car, and you didn't have breakfast or lunch like I had not, then you are screwed. No apples or other fruit available, just junk for three hours. Picky if you are full, but if very hungry significant weakness for such a large place to have absolutely no food options from noon to 5:30.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I was very impressed with the lobby decor and front desk staff helpfulness during my recent stay. I forgot my map and did not have a GPS, so a young man at the front desk patiently took a couple of calls from me before my arrival to explain how to find the hotel. When I walked in, the lobby decor stood out for its class and warmth. I stayed in Room 204 and found the two room suite to be adequate overall, Tub surround is showing wear and living area of suite was smaller. Ben was very comfortable and room was very clean and smelled fresh.
Hotel does not provide conditioner, which was suprising considering the price per room. Business Center computers were older and still using Windows XP.

Room Tip: Two room suites are perfect for business traveler or couple. Many of the rooms have a nice overlook...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The Holiday Inn at the University is a very nice hotel with spacious rooms suites. The rooms are all suite-style - a small living area up front, with a wet bar and sofa, with a connected bedroom/bathroom area in the back. The rooms are nicely appointed, and the entire hotel was very clean and fresh. Our bathtub was clogged and very slow to drain, and we received immediate assistance when I informed the front desk.

The restaurant was okay, mostly buffet style dining, and the decor was out of sorts with the rest of the hotel. Food was good, service was very good, and overall not a bad place to eat. We didn't try the breakfast, only dinner. The bar was not open during the week, and when it was open it closed very early - almost like an afterthought at times. The restaurant and bar are my only reason for not giving this a 5 star rating.

The hotel is part of the University of Memphis, and is used as a "teaching" hotel, so I thought that was a neat concept. The staff were all very, very nice, and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are best - the hotel does a LOT of large functions on their first and seco...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple