Arisaig House(Arisaig)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewslovely hotelfish and chipsbreakfast servicehotel bartop floorfamily roomresidents loungesea viewboat triptwin roomfull scottishfantastic foodfour nightsone night stayan evening mealexcellent stayscallops
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

We arrived in the rain and the dark to be warmly greeted at reception. As we were only staying overnight as a quick stop before catching the ferry, we booked a rear facing room which also allowed dogs. (I’m sure other rooms take full advantage of the wonderful view over the water.) The room was fine for the night, though did have frosted glass as it looked out over the fire escape which is fairly reflected in the price. There were quite a few cobwebs up in the ceiling and it would only take 2 minutes to dust them down and around the light. (It’s a traditional hotel - not streamlined modern high gloss furniture, but good sized pine wardrobes etc.) The bathroom is a decent size with a heated towel rail. There isn’t a shower, but there is a bath with dual purpose taps and a shower head. It would have been good if there was a hook on the tiled wall or a shower curtain/screen as I was quite paranoid about getting water on the floor using the shower head! I couldn’t actually remember the last time I had used one; perhaps other guests have enjoyed using it solely as a bath which is always a luxury in a hotel.
There is free WiFi in the rooms, but the signal is quite weak due to the size of the building. I did see another guest sat downstairs using a laptop so I think the signal is stronger nearer the dining room. There is a guest lounge but I didn’t go in so can’t comment on it.
We ate in the onsite restaurant which was great. Fantastic warm fire and atmosphere. We both had a starter and a main which were both beautiful. I was particularly pleased to have local mussels and they were cooked really well. There was a good variety to the menu and drinks selection.
Breakfast was again cooked really well. The presentation was clean and precise considering we had a Full Scottish which could easily look messy on the plate. My partners Veggie and he was fully accommodated for at both dinner and breakfast. There was a cold selection of breakfast items and juices as well. My only slight criticism was the service at breakfast. I think the waitress was just a bit flustered and was both heavy handed and quite sharp at times with guests looking at each other unnerved throughout but we took it quite well. I fully think that this was just a one off and that it isn’t a true reflection of the hospitality in the hotel. It was easy to get out and walk around the town, catching views over to the islands - good value overall. (We paid a £10 fee for bringing the dogs and signed the pet policy too. All very fair and no problems)

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fran2702
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Visited today for a quiet drink. The people were very welcoming including a lovely couple who gave us a seat for the little one. Friendly service and nice local people. Beer was good. No food TIL after five but we accept that there is the same throughput at this time of the year

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank steviejoex
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Quaint Hotel in a small town. Room was clean, but place could use an updating. SMALL TV! Restaurant menu was diverse and food was delicious. Breakfast was diverse. NO complimentary water in room. Staff very friendly. NO secure WiFi....beware. Short ride to Mallaig for ferry to SKYE.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, but limited.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2017

We stayed here just the one night on our way to Mallaig.
Our room was a little dated, the TV did not work - problem with the aerial we were told, and the central heating was not working either, which was needed on the chilly day we arrived. Eventually the manager managed to get the central heating working, but no apologies for lack of heating or television.
This is an old hotel - very evident from the creaking floor boards, both from the passage and the floor above.

The bar was very lively with local people and the restaurant busy, which is always a good sign. Food was good and we would eat there again.

There is a beautifully appointed residents lounge - but no one in there - and not something you would use anyway in such a small village hotel.

Overall, the hotel needs a general update of the bedrooms.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Popped in for lunch. Fabulous food, excellent cups of coffee, warm and friendly welcome and super service. A good mixture of customers: locals and holidaymakers all of whom were happy with everything. My lunch was gorgeous (Cajun fish taco with avocado) and I sampled a bit of my friend's steak sandwich (yummy). Had some marinated olives to start as well as a side of rustic chips. Wow! I could not finish everything. I had a good look at the dishes coming out for the other customers and they all looked mouth watering. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends