Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Kirkhouse Inn(Strathblane)
  • Restaurant
Rob Roy Hotel(Aberfoyle)
1,335 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiessteam roomhaven spahot buffetafternoon tealovely hotelloch lomondleisure clubwedding venuesalmon wraplounge areadb ban overnight stayevening mealshort breakrestaurant staffbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We arrived and reception area was lovely and we were booked in straight away.
The room was large and bright but in need of refurbishment - the sink was blocked and in the evening the light switches wouldn’t work - I was told this often happens and within the flick of a switch it was put right ! The children’s beds were put up beds which probably stay up all the time, one of these was a bit unstable.
We enjoyed a swim and used the facilities which were clean.
In the evening we were going to eat but the restaurant was lifeless and a couple of dodgy characters (not guests) were steered through some doors !! We therefore gave it a miss.
Breakfast was basic and clearing the table throughout the breakfast would have been helpful.
Overall it was ok ...generally looking tired with holes and frays in the carpets, dirty walls and ripped wallpaper, staff were ok but not overly helpful or friendly.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Bolli_shirl
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is my second visit here, first visit was great. In a nutshell. Make sure you have somewhere booked elsewhere for food (Drymen Inn or The Winnock) and only stay here for the fact it has a pool.

The room was clean, and the staff at the pool were decent - hence the 2 stars. The majority of everyone else I encountered seemed to have never worked in hospitality before (waiter, waitress, bar staff). I feel that the exact experience we had was so totally random and comedic that I am not going to detail it all because the hotel does actually have a lot of potential and everything on our stay was so bizarre! Even the experiences of other guests at the time left us speechless.

I would advise if booking for dinner, do it at the earliest possible moment in case you need to go somewhere else (we didn't even go to breakfast because we were so done with it). After one month, where hotel management failed, my complaint was resolved by Best Western themselves they were persistent and fantastic (hopefully you never need to have a complaint with the hotel directly to experience what I have). We were on one last night before we get married and it was ruined - we expected too much.

At this particular moment in time, I would heed a warning to anyone who is going to stay here. Enter at your own peril (unless only resting your head). I'm not saying I won't go back, its too much of a lovely place to give up hope, and I hope it survives what seems to be an awful patch. Just be prepared to be disappointed and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chloe H
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It is so disappointing that we cannot get customer care correct in Scotland.
Arrived at the Buchanan Arms after our 12 mile walk on day 1 of West Highland Way .....waited at reception desk for at least 4 mins before the receptionist behind the desk acknowledged our presence.....On acknowledging that we had arrived....the receptionist was pleasant enough but did seem to take a long time to complete check in process.......creating the key took a long time. On arrival I had asked if our bags had been delivered -receptioinist was not sure -but would check.
Just as I was departing reception desk I enquired.... Will the bags be sent to the room ? Oh no was the reply .....I think they will be in the cupboard. On opening the cupboard we saw our bags at the back of the cleaning storage cupboard -we dragged our bags through the vaccum cleaners and all the way to our downstairs room . The hotel was almost empty -why would you allocate a small double room far away from reception ? We had of course booked a twin room .....so back to reception ....room swapped to no. 36 - better room , much more space but still at the end of corridor through numerous doors etc -why make it so inconvenient for your guests?? No offer to assist with baggage move from double to twin.
There was no hot water in room at 8am for shower , breakfast room was very cold - clearly this had been noted as a couple of ineffective heaters had been located in the room. Again I questioned why residents could not had enjoyed breakfast in the warmer surroundings of the room set for dinner -where breakfast buffet located. Poached eggs ordered -very good -but did order with toast and was told we should make this ourselves - guests would want hot toast with hot poached eggs. Whilst waiting on toast we were informed by waitress that toaster takes ages-why has it not been replaced??
All in all a hotel that has a reasonably good product but apparently staff who do not care or have given no thought to what the guest requires at your hotel. Customer Care needs to improve -dad we cannot get this right in Scotland!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank carrgomm
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Second visit here. Suprised at the recebt reviews.Very reasonably priced and impressive leisure facilities for a 3 star hotel. Room was clean and bathroom very modern. Main course at dinner was lovely, soup could have been hotter. If you judge this place on it's price and consider the food, facilities and area, I think it's great value and worth a visit

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed here as a one night stop over as part of our west highland way walking holiday. When we arrived there was a lady standing in at reception as there had been a burst pipe so the receptionist was absent so check in wasn’t great but not really anyone’s fault. Rooms ok but miles away through many doors and staircases, which was really difficult with our amount of luggage. The walls and ceilings were dirty (see photos) and the room dusty. Nice enough room apart from that. We went to the restaurant at 6pm but the staff were having their break even though it opens at 6pm. The tables weren’t set, the hoover was out and there weren’t any menus. We had to wait 15minutes for the menus to be printed, they arrived with no prices on except information for all inclusive guests and no drinks list. We waited another 15mins for a member of staff to appear just as another couple left as they had waited too long. So 1/2 hour no order even in yet. We gave up and ordered Indian from just eat which isn’t ideal in a hotel room but arrived quicker than our menus did in the restaurant!! We had issues with the keys and my husband spent another half hour in reception waiting for the receptions to deal with a problem with staff wages.
The staff at breakfast were lovely but not trained as seemed to know less than we did about the menu. Coffee shocking but food average and hot so not too bad.
Overall I agree with other reviewers there is a serious staff crisis in this hotel which ruins your stay.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family