All reviews shinty bar new owners sea view seafood langoustines both nights owners and staff wine list cheese board itison deal front facing dining room this lovely hotel feel very welcome full scottish breakfast beautiful location public rooms
Reviewed 9 July 2017

We stayed here for three nights on our first visit to the area and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The location is stunning, and our bay window provided views up and down the Kyles, and over to Bute. The room was well-appointed and comfortable, and the owners are obviously trying to provide that little bit extra.
We ate there on the first night, and the meal was first rate. There are other places to eat within walking distance, either in the village or in nearby Kames.
Overall it was perfect for us, and we will be back.

Room Tip: Upper floor with sea view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2017

I had not read any of the reviews before staying at The Royal an Lohan in June for one night. We had a comfortable room with a fabulous view. With hindsight we should have mentioned that I was recovering from a serious operation as we were on the 2nd floor and the stairs were not easy for me. Our fault. The hosts were friendly and dinner that night was lovely. My husband had the langoustines and I had the beef which was huge. Again, I should have said to Christine , but I enjoyed what I did eat of the main course and sent my compliments to the kitchen. The watercress and tumeric soup with tumeric rolls was very tasty. We had a good nights sleep. We'll be back.

Room Tip: its a long climb to the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank sheena M
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Stayed here on several occasions but not worth the cost, way way over priced for what you get and where it is much prefer to stay in the Khames hotel now much more friendlier and make you feel more at home .

Room Tip: Sea view is best but you will pay more as it's classed as an upgrade .
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
TheRoyalanLochan, Owner at The Royal an Lochan, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2017

We are sorry to read your review and understand that our hotel is not for everyone. All the local hotels are different in size, style and facilities they offer and we understand people may have their favourites. We hope you continue to enjoy this beautiful part of Scotland. Christine

Reviewed 26 June 2017

What a lovely place.Food amazing .Reception rooms homely but lovely,with great attention to detail.(very quirky )our bedroom had a four poster bed and roll tap bath with views over the loch.Definitely worth paying extra for services room .

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view .
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon. Christine

Reviewed 21 June 2017

Keith and Christine have clearly put their heart and soul into this place to try and give it an edge over similarly rated hotels. Others have mentioned the personal touches like being given a tour of the hotel on arrival and the daily supply of wonderful homemade shortbread placed in your room. The room itself was very comfortable with a fantastic sized and very comfortable bed. The meals are quite expensive but the chef is clearly very creative and talented. The only thing that I would mention in terms of what could be improved was that the cooked breakfast was too dry and when I asked if baked beans could be added to it Keith responded rather disdainfully to my request by stating they wouldn't have baked beans in the hotel. It was meant as constructive criticism but It's a minor issue in the grand scheme of things as overall we really enjoyed our stay there and it's great to see a couple take such pride in their hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us for the four nights, your choice to eat with us two nights and enjoy some of the other eateries in the area was a good one, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and sorry about the baked beans. Thank you for taking time to write a nice review, Christine