“Loved it”

and 1 more site!
Thistle House Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Cairndow B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We were very happy with the Thistle House hotel.
The rooms were very clean and warm. The decoration was very impressing to the point we were amazed by the living room.
Most of all, we were very happy from the Jennifer. She was a fantastic host, with many very good recommendation and very very friendly! Could go on for ages but again many many thanks for the fantastic hospitality!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AK_UK53
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was our second time at Thistle House and we will definitely be back; quite simply the best place we have ever stayed at. The location is stunning and tranquil, right on the shore of Loch Fine (we watched Herons fishing there). The rooms are immaculate, warm, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The house is elegant and has everything that you could wish for but the piece de la resistance is the large sitting room with log fire and several very comfy settees where you can curl up with a book in absolute luxury. The breakfast is excellent and Jenifer the owner really makes you feel welcome and at home; she is friendly, welcoming and goes out of her way to be helpful.
Thistle House is well situated for visiting many places, Oban (with ferry to Mull), Loch Lomond & Glen Coe to mention just three and there are excellent restaurants nearby for evening meals.
I honestly can't praise this place enough - don't miss out!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank T0mH0lmes
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Jenifer is the BEST hostest that makes PERFECT poached eggs. You walk in the door and feel like your at a family members home. We wish we could have stayed longer as there is SO much to see in the area. Everyone is so friendly and kind. Will be going back with my mom and sister as soon as possible. When asked the favorite park of my trip, the answer is always Thisle House Guest House. I should also mention the decor, as it was amazing. Don't book anywhere else if going to this area. By far the BEST

Room Tip: Jenifer will pick the best for you. attached rooms for children.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maryann M
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I stayed at Thistle House for one night midweek as one of the stops on our driving tour from Edinburgh around the Highlands. Our host Jennifer was welcoming and friendly on our arrival. We saw but did not meet Boris the dog, who is well trained to not approach guests, but likes to have a look from a distance. He did not bark and would not have frightened anyone. The Campbell room at the top of the house is spacious and comfortable. We both slept very well. We had the window open most of the night for fresh air (no midges in March!) and despite the window facing the road and the loch, we did not hear any traffic at all. Breakfast in the morning was in a sunny room overlooking the loch. I had poached eggs and toast and my husband had the full Scottish, all of which were excellent. We would highly recommend Thistle House to anyone wanting a romantic weekend break or as a one night stop on a driving tour. The nearby town and castle of Inverary are well worth a visit, as is the nearby Loch Fyne restaurant where we had dinner.

Room Tip: We were in the Campbell Room at the top of the house. Very quiet, beautiful view over the loch, and...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison M
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I will begin by laying my cards on the table - for the last 20 years I have avoided B+Bs and guest houses like the plague. This was after an absolutely awful experience in Brighton by a rather irritable B+B owner who seemed to think his guests were a terrible burden for him. When I booked Thistle House, I was full of misgivings - how wrong I was! After staying at Thistle House, I realise that I have definitely been missing out on something!

Thistle House is a rather impressive looking guest house, right on the banks of Loch Fyne. It looks directly across to Inveraray. The gardens are immaculately tended to and the parking is to the side of the house so that no views are spoiled. I was met as soon as I arrived by the owners who gave me a very warm and friendly welcome but without being too over-the-top. I was offered a tea/coffee which I thought was a really nice touch. I thought they got it just right. My room was the MacLachlan Room which looked out over Loch Fyne. This was a very impressive room with a stunning view. It had a very warm and understated luxury feel to it. There was a large bed which was very comfortable. (Seemed to be a normal mattress with a foam mattress topper). All the bedding was impeccably clean and had that lovely 'just-washed' feel to it. There was a shower-room ensuite which was a tad on the small size. However, this is a guest house using a traditional building. So, I feel that for the price I paid (£80 for one night), the small ensuite was a more than acceptable compromise. The ensuite was decorated to a very high standard and was spotless! The shower was also roasting hot which was a welcome relief after a long drive and freezing weather!

The guest house is of a very high standard throughout with nice decoration. The guest lounge is particularly impressive. The breakfast room is bright and airy and the tables are nicely spaced out. Breakfast was a very pleasant experience indeed. The food was a very high standard and delicious. There was a nice selection of cereals etc in addition to the cooked full Scottish breakfast - there were other options for a cooked breakfast if a full Scottish was not to your liking. My partner had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which he said was delicious! The owners try to source all food locally if possible and aim for fair trade products.

The owners live in a different house which is in the grounds of Thistle House. I personally liked this because I felt that I wasn't going to be disturbing the owners in their own home. It put me more at my ease so that I could relax a bit more. (One aspect of guest houses I had been afraid of was that I was intruding into someone's home - but with Thistle House I certainly didn't feel this).

To sum up, I'd say that you can't go wrong with Thistle House. For the high standard of accommodation, the price is very good value for money. I paid almost the same for a Premier Inn which is nowhere near the quality of Thistle House. On top of this you also get a very personal, warm and friendly experience from the owners which you just cant get in a larger hotel. Add to this again the stunning views and this is an excellent choice!

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ashtonuk925
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cairndow
2.6 km away
18.3 km away
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
#3 of 6 in Arrochar

Been to Thistle House Guest House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK