“Mixed”
Review of The Chain Runner

The Chain Runner
Ranked #3 of 27 Quick Bites in Livingston
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 21
Description: Love a local that does a good deal? Come to The Chain Runner pub and lodge in Livingston. We do great value pub grub, put on a cracking carvery seven days a week, and serve the smoothest cask ales for miles around! Whether you're looking for good places to stay in West Lothian or want a family-friendly pub with food for everyone, we'll make you glad you came to us. You'll always get a smile and a friendly word at the bar. And a nice place to sit and relax. The beer garden is the perfect place to eat, drink and enjoy the sun. The kids will be happy whatever the weather. We've got two children's play areas, and a menu jam-packed with yummy meals for little monsters. See you at the bar!
Reviewed 28 May 2021

Booked for family post- lockdown meeting. Website clear and simple to use. Menus & allergy info helpful. All staff were welcoming, pleasant & helpful - excellent ambassadors for the restaurant. Furnishing was beyond tired the banquette was so distressed. Starters & desserts were fine to excellent. Waitress response to an allergy was excellent. The adults all had the car very of varying sizes. Mine was the small option yet it was plentiful. The problem was the meat. The beef in particular was awful. Extremely hard to cut and dreadful taste & quality. Staff response was immediate & positive, offering replacement of other meat options,. However meat options still poor. The quality of the carvery meat is nothing like I experienced pre-COVID so perhaps it is to do with the kitchen to table rather than usual system. Or perhaps in view of dreadful issues for restaurants, it is deterioration in supply.

Date of visit: May 2021
ChainRunner, General Manager at The Chain Runner, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2021

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are pleased to see that our team were able to assist you confidently with regards allergies and that your starters and desserts were all excellent. We will take up concerns about the carvery with the kitchen and can only apologise for the tough beef.
We are looking forward to moving back to the carvery deck set up very shortly

Write a reviewReviews (412)

Reviewed 24 May 2021

Given all the previous lockdowns in Scotland this is the first time I have been back to Livinston to shop in over a year due to the fact that it is in a different local authority than the one I stay in.

Since the Scottish Government had lifted the restrictions regarding travelling to other areas a few weeks ago and given that pubs and restaraunts were finally allowed to serve meals and alcohol indoors this week, my hubby and I decided to go shopping in Livi on Sunday and we had decided to pop into the Chain Runner purely on spec.

We hadn't made a booking and were half expecting to be turned away so we were pleasantly surprised when they said they could give us a table. Having said that we did go in at 11.45am and they did say they had a number of bookings for later on. I think with regards to most pubs and restaurants if you go early (i.e around the noon mark) you might be lucky but if you plan to go later it is probably better to book.

Anyway we were given our table and the waiter told us that this was the first Sunday that they were starting their Carvery again. Those of you who know me know that I just cannot resist a carvery when it is done well and the Chain Runner's is one of the better ones.

As usual at present everything is table service exept for the carvery. The waitress asked me to go to the carvery with her and tell the chef what I wanted. Now there are three prices for the carvery. £7 odd for the small plate, £8 odd for the medium and £10 odd for the large one. I decided to go for the small plate since I don't have a massive appetite. For that I was allowed 1 slice of Roast Beef, 1 Slice of Turkey and 1 slice of Ham or I think any combination of three slices. 1 large Yorkie, Boiled potatoes, Roast Potatoes, absolutely gorgeous honey glazed carrots and cauliflower cheese. There was also green beans, turnip and broccoli and mashed potatoes I think but my plate was just not big enough to hold everything. They also give you a gorgeous Herb Gravy which they bring to the table for you. Hubby had the fish and chips and really enjoyed it.

The service was excellent again, as was the food. As I have said before this is one of the places that I am more than happy to go back to since, having now been here four times we have never had a bad experience with them. Just as a note it is a smaller menu which is to be expected during the Covid crisis and it does say that this particular menu will be destroyed once your table is finished with it. Would I go back again? A big yes to that.

1  Thank Marilyn W

thank you so much for leaving a comprehensive review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the new carvery specs, and agree that the gravy tastes amazing with the fresh herbs in it. We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 4 May 2021

Visited last weekend for a couple of drinks to celebrate my birthday. We were served by Barry the barman who was very friendly and continually made us laugh. He encouraged us to have shots and cocktails since we were child free. Thoroughly enjoyed my first post-lockdown drinks! If anyone goes here, you’ll definitely want to look out for Barry as your server! We’ll be back soon for some more cocktails!

1  Thank charlottej609
ChainRunner, General Manager at The Chain Runner, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2021

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us feedback. We agree wholeheartedly that Barry is a great guy and will be sure to pass on your comments and praise to him. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 13 September 2020 via mobile

Another great stay at the Chainrunner Livingston the staff are always super friendly and can’t do enough to help ensure you have a great stay
Special mention to Ayden Andrea and Melissa 5 stars guys great effort to accommodate all the guys with social distancing
Keep up the good work

Many thanks

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank Pault0007
ChainRunner, General Manager at The Chain Runner, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2020

Thank you for such a lovely review Paul!
I will be sure to pass your comments along to our team and I know Andrea, Ayden and Melissa will be happy to hear that you think so highly of them.
Thanks
Steve

Reviewed 11 September 2020

Gammon steak is (in my opinion) the best meal here..! Slice of pineapple & fried egg..mmm, it's also in the Saturday steak deal (if still on?) x

Date of visit: August 2020
ChainRunner, General Manager at The Chain Runner, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2020

Thanks for your comments regarding the gammon, it is definitely a popular dish. Once the steak deal resumes the gammon will still be included