“not for the faint hearted or dog owners” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Eilean Iarmain

Hotel Eilean Iarmain
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sleat
Cheddar, United Kingdom
“not for the faint hearted or dog owners”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

We only tried to have a meal here so cannot comment on the rooms.
The location is wonderful. The problem was having walked to the hotel we asked if we could take 2 dogs into the bar as it was December and wet.

We appreciate many do not want dogs in dining areas and were more than prepared to walk away. However a very nice chap said it was fine as long as we waited for a group to go into the restaurant. My partner then tried to place an order with his female colleague and she said dogs are not allowed and walked away. My partner then waited to see if anyone would take the order and in the end left the bar in tears.

Eventually we were allowed in and they apologised but it was not a nice atmosphere. I left with the dogs and did not order any food but ,my partner said the soup was good.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank TIM M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
North Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

The location is classic Skye... dramatic shoreline dotted with fishing boats in the foreground and the powerful Cuillin hills in the background. I stayed in late September and the Eilean Iarmain was not too busy which I preferred. My room was very, very clean, comfortable and cozy on the front side (ocean facing) of the hotel. The drawing room was welcoming and has two great armchairs right up against the front windows for an excellent spot to take in the view or read. I absolutely loved the pub - met a lot of friendly locals and was introduced to Té Bheag, my new favorite Gaelic whisky that the hotel gives samples of in your room!! I also attended an art opening next door to the pub in the gallery... they feature new artist and openings frequently. I ate one of my meals in the hotel restaurant and one dinner in the pub. Both nights, my food were excellent. The restaurant creates a new set menu every night and I thought my mushroom risotto was the best I ever had. The only glitch to my stay was the hotel seemed understaffed. Although there were not many guests staying in the rooms, the restaurant and pub were busy so things didn't run as smoothly as they could. The young new manager seems to be a bit "stretched" or green so that also contributed to the lack of detail on the operational side of things. I most definitely would stay again, and look forward to returning one day to the Eilean Iarmain.

Room Tip: There is a local pub below some of the rooms so if you are a light sleeper, be aware of this detail.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Lovely room with view on the Sound (a superior room), very nice personnel and very quiet. Delicious breakfast (a lot to choose of).

• Stayed November 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed here back in April and were blessed with wondeful weather.
First thing to say is that this is a wonderful location, the views across the Sound of Sleat and up Loch Hourn are spectacular...so 10/10 for that.
We stayed in a 'suite' across from the main hotel building, private with uniniterrupted, magnificent views but not particularly spacious. The general feel of the suite was that it was a bit tired, in need of a makeover. Maybe the hotel has that planned for next season...
We also had Dinner on our first night which was a significant disappointment - mix ups with what we ordered and then fish being undercooked meant that we had dinner in stages i.e. at no stage were we eating the same course together! My undercooked main course came back roasted to within an inch of its life and covered in salt, but by that time the complaining was becoming embarrasing! I did complain and received an apology but no offer of recompense, I did however negotiate a small discount on check out...I should have negotiated more!
Breakfast was good, if a little slow and numerous breakfast items had run out (sausages, hilarious!?), but do guests really want to listen to the twee highland music on loop first thing in the morning?
One redeeming featue was dinner in the bar on our second night - first rate, enthusiastic service from the bar staff and very good food (all from same kitchen as dinner!).
So, disappointing in terms of accommodation and restaurant - really felt that we didn't receive value for money.
My recommendation would be stay somewhere else (e.g. excellent Peinmore House near Portree) and come here for a bar meal one night and enjoy the view.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mcsmithScotland
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Just back from spending 2 nights at this delightful hotel in southern Skye. Beautiful location (even in the rain) with lovely views over to Knoydart. Our room was in the main hotel building and appeared to be one of the larger rooms at the front - comfortable, attractive decor and plenty of space. Furnishings all original to give it lots of character. Arran Arromatics toiletries a nice touch. We peeked in some of the other rooms and although a bit smaller they all looked good. Public areas also very comfortable and tastefully decorated. We had dinner in the dining room both nights as on DBB rate (£90 per person) and the food was superb both in quality and presentation. Only comment I would make was that the menu was virtually the same both nights with only 3 choices - Ok for 2 nights but not so good if longer stay. Breafast was also excellent. Mhairi our waitress was friendly and v welcoming as were all the other staff. We had a drink in the bar but didn't eat there - there seemed to be a lots of atmosphere and well used by locals
Perfect choice for our first visit to Skye and would definitely recommend.
Try the whisky tasting!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleat
38.0 km away
54.9 km away
Redwood House Hotel
Redwood House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edinbane

Been to Hotel Eilean Iarmain? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK