All reviews hot tub four poster garden suite chart room isle of skye poster bed the fine dining menu third floor beautiful hotel sister hotel every member of staff dining room bar menu porridge enjoyable stay both nights public rooms
Reviewed 5 October 2017

There was nothing very much wrong with our one night stay but having sampled excellent hospitality at much less grand establishments on our trip through the Hebrides the idea was that this would be a lap of luxury establishment for our last night in Scotland. The room was fine but dinner was only OK and was definitely marred by the fact that all of the staff seemed undertrained. There was no smoothness, let alone sparkle in the service and any character seemed to have been left at the door. Indeed the most perplexing thing was that any simple request seemed to prompt a puzzled air. A second glass of red wine took two requests and was then brought by a third person, who presumably was dedicated to wines.

As in many adverse reviews, the experience was also clouded by a one-off gripe. My wife made the telephone booking and explained that it was to be a little treat on my birthday. She simply asked that we be allocated a nice table, but was assured that more would be done: possibly a little cake. In the event nothing at all was done and we did not have one of the better tables (e g window seats). On checking out, the receptionist hoped we had enjoyed having Happy Birthday sung to us by the staff. My wife said that hadn't happened and the reaction of "but the duty manager has noted that it did happen" left us wondering whether we were being disbelieved. Since we only had two glasses of wine and a bottle of water to pay for, one might have thought that a little gesture might have been in order. Sadly, no.

I would summarise the hotel and dining room as having pretensions (and prices to match) but being in fact no more than a comfortable small hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alan F
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Wonderful rooms. Wonderful food. Wonderful location. But technology junkies like me can't use wifi reliably at all here or mobile phones. Luggage a bit of pain to carry and tvs need an update. Good detox I guess. Dinner is super. Come again !!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Lovely hotel in a quiet part of Southern Skye. Rooms are tastefully decorated, staff all very friendly. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and good gin/whisky selection in the bar. Expensive, but predictable for a rural hotel. Would recommend as a luxurious treat!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Five years ago my husband and I stayed here and it was a dream (I made a review saying as such). Fast forward to present day and alas, it's lost its luster. Where to start?

Check In: we arrived at 1:40 for a 2pm check-in. The woman at the desk promptly told me she had to finish her lunch and that our room wasn't ready. She never checked on it (nor at that point did she even know what room we were staying in)- she just immediately responded with that. Fast forward to 2:00 (my husband and I waited in the parking lot). I walked back in and she said it would be another 20 minutes. We left and went to local gallery.
How this should have gone down: there are not that many rooms in the hotel (30), and it's doubtful that there were many people expected to arrive when we were (2pm on a Tuesday) so knowing who is arriving and when would have gone a long way. The issue wasn't that our room wasn't ready. She should have known what room I was in and if not, asked and then actually checked on it and said to go explore and they would call us as soon as it was ready- or offer up drinks and a snack while we waited.

Room: Amazing. Huge. Clean.

Dinner: Instead of being seated in the front room per last time, we were immediately placed at our table. Food was not nearly same caliber as last time. Not that it was 'bad' - we just were expecting the same level as our last experience here. The wine list is not what it once was- we discovered chateauneuf de pape here last time...no new discoveries this time! Just overall, an OK experience.

Breakfast: Same here. I asked for a latte to take away on my travels and it came out in a glass. They thought "to take away" meant my hotel room- no, it means to leave with. And there were no options to do just that -which is surprising considering Scotland and Skye specially, are places where you explore, hike, etc. How not have options to leave with a coffee drink?

We left last time, having had some of "the best meals of our lives" to ho hum this time...

We actually remember the people that worked there five years ago - they were amazing. The service was BEYOND. And also the owners were there and you could feel the world-class top notch service vibe. It seems as they have grown their stable of hotels, this one has fallen through the cracks a bit.

We may think about trying their other spots next time, although places like the three chimneys will likely (hopefully) keep them on their toes. At this point, Duisdale House is likely no longer a future option.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate b
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We loved this place. We had a great room, and great hosts that made us feel welcomed and at home (especially after driving from Edinburgh). The location was quiet, warm and felt like a home rather than a hotel. The best touch was the included breakfast each morning which was a great start to the day, especially before hiking around Storr, Fairy Pools and the Quiriang.

Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple