“A last resort”

Doune Braes Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Carloway
Cuisines: Scottish
Reviewed 11 October 2018

The only place open for food at 7pm but looked closed from the outside and not welcoming at all. If I hadn't seen a woman sitting at a table by the window I don't think I'd have gone in.

I ordered chicken stuffed with black pudding and it came with mash and a cream sauce. The mash was very lumpy and the chicken was salty and dried out, the end pieces being inedible. I'm not sure if it was fresh or frozen but it must have been baked uncovered to get so dry. Really terrible and at £14.50 expensive too.

Not impressed with the interior and carpet in the public loos is not nice, actually in the cubicles too, gross!

Would not recommend.

Reviewed 16 June 2018

Large roadside hotel & restaurant. We called here on a grey and drizzly afternoon for a cup of coffee and a bun as there is nothing else available nearby. Coffee was not of brilliant quality but at least it was drinkable and limited choice of cake available. It was nearly empty at the time of our visit so service was OK.
From what we could see of the public rooms in the hotel, it has obviously seen better days and could do with a bit of a makeover.

1  Thank Peeceecee
Reviewed 12 June 2018

So I was on a bike struggling and this little gem on the outer hebridean way is a saviour. It was quite a busy lunch for a Tuesday and the lovely overworked waitress deserves a medal for her service. Served coffee in a cafeterie and the home made victoria sandwich was one of the best I have tasted, I almost felt the baker was lost here!
There was a family being well catered for along with a couple and an sole traveller, and even on entering I was welcomed, despite my tired scruffy look!

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

I’m not one for writing reviews and never complain in restaurants but felt I needed to on this occasion awful food reminded me of school dinners! Starter was spinach tart but a shriviled up tiny piece of salmon tart was put in front of me with a bit of side salad. Although I complained and did not eat it except the bit side salad the size of a spoon I got no feed back on this and it was put on my bill at the end and to add insult to injury said spinach tart! My husband said he would not pay for this as inedible and not what we asked for, the waitress haggled and said it was eaten? Did she even wonder if I was vegetarian? My main was after all vegetable lasagna. It was intact except for a tiny piece off the end the size of a small finger nail. she said she would go halfers with us. We paid just to get away! I should also just mention don’t go here if you would like coffee as asked as we arrived and was told we don’t serve coffee any more only instant ! This should have been a warning sign, very outdated hotel glad I didn’t stay here, looks a bit like it’s about to close down. Shall not be returning.

1  Thank Hynes47
Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

Comfy rooms and very friendly service in remote location between the Callanish Stones and the Gerannin Blackhouses in Lewis. Food was pretty good.