2,252 results
All reviewsleisure facilitiestwo fat ladiesgolf coursesteam roomdeluxe roomspa treatmentsleisure cluban upgradesea viewafternoon teabar arearelaxing breakbirthday treatlovely hotelshort breakfirst classfantastic views
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I stayed here last week, just for one night with my sisters. Check in quick and easy, we stayed in room 324, we had booked the upgrade to get the sea view and it was lovely. Room spacious, beds super comfortable, nice and quiet. We used the Spa, had booked a few treatments which were great, my therapist was Karen and she was super. There is a path running the side of the golf course that takes you straight on to the beach which is so clean.
The food and service are hit and miss, but it really didn't spoil our stay. I would go back but just be careful with what I order. The service at night was very slow, and as this has been mentioned in previous reviews going back at least 8 weeks I am suprised the management have not added a few staff. The staff that are there are really nice and helpful.
It’s a good 25 minute walk from the hotel into the small town, but well worth it to visit a little Italian restaurant we stumbled across, doesn’t look much from the outside, but the food was really good, and reasonably priced, it was called Bravi Ragazzi, will definitely be back there.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view as not too much extra.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2018

The day started when we were given the key to a suite overlooking the golf course, sea and the Isle of Arran- spectacular. We then joined the family for a lovely lunch served to us by very attentive staff. A visit to the leisure center was a treat - a dip in the pool with the same stunning views especially at dusk were amazing, then on to the Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. Dinner in the evening was also very good and again the service from the staff was exceptional. Onto a drink in the bar, a good nights sleep in a very comfy room, another visit to the pool in the morning then a very good buffet breakfast. All in all a very memorable stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor facing the sea.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on itison deal. Firstly, have to say that we enjoyed our visit and what we got was fine for the money. Lovely old building, good location for relaxation, walks on beach, etc but not really 4 star. Double room (103) was small and dark with miniscule bathroom and window overloooking rooftops at the back. Decor ok, clean and comfortable enough. Coffee was cheap Nescafé sachets ( not even Gold Blend) with 1 tiny shortbread biscuit. No robes/ slippers in room. No bottled water in room - charging £1.50 a bottle at reception!!
Pool busy with children so not possible to swim lengths. Very warm in pool area. Only hard chairs to sit on as the few loungers were occupied for the full time of our visit ( understandable if people had booked a spa day but could easily have fitted more loungers around pool for guests to relax on).
Dinner was more of a pub menu than what I would expect from a 4 star hotel - laminated plastic menu - but food was actually very good with generous portions - the chips were the best I have ever tasted! White wine was unfortunately served warm but instantly replaced when we pointed that out and waiting staff polite and helpful.
Breakfast buffet was again less impressive than in any other 4 star hotel we have stayed in in Scotland no black pudding, potato scones or hash browns. Great bacon and sausages but unfortunately cold and kept running out and taking 10 mins to refill. Lukewarm coffee in flasks.
Bar area was lovely to sit in ( view is beautiful) but disappointed my French Martini made with cassis rather than Chambord ( to be fair the menu stated this) and tasted very light on vodka so really just like pineapple juice with Ribena in it.
All in all some aspects of this hotel are great, others not so much. It does feel as if this hotel is having a major identity crisis and isn't sure what it is trying to be. It appears they have trimmed things down to cater for the masses on cheap deals - which is absolutely fine - as I said what we got was good value. I wouldn't be happy to pay full 4 star price for this though and it just seems a bit of a shame for such a beautiful old building as it could be really special.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Some rooms are quite small. Some rooms at the rear can be quite noisy due to extraction fans etc near the kitchen. Food is only average and what you would expect. Breakfast is ok. Coffee is of very poor quality (unless you pay around £5 to have it made to taste - ie with an extra shot as it is so weak). Service is mediocre. There is little or no atmosphere in the place. It is not bad - but only average.

Stayed: November 2017
2  Thank Q3555RQcharlesm
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

My wife and I received a voucher for Christmas and used it last weekend.Visited the hotel many years ago for an overnight and I still don’t think they have a window cleaner.
Check in was fine and our room was ok carpet a bit worn,bathroom was fine with toiletries and a had decent shower.
My wife and I went for a walk around Troon and on our return asked for an ice bucket as we had taken a bottle of champagne,they had none ,but did offer us a couple of pint glasses with ice in them ,classy.
The restaurant could only offer us a table for dinner a 5.30- too early
,or 8.45- too late, so we ate in the bar area at 7.30.
I had haggis neeps and tatties to start, my wife had pate which came out 30 minutes after we ordered, pate was ok ,my haggis has been under a heat lamp for about 20 minutes I reckon.
Main, we both had fish and chips which arrived about 45 minutes after our starter plates had been taken away. The fish had been put into a deep fat fryer that could not have been turned on it was quite simply awful,mushy peas ,tartare sauce were not good and the lemon wedge was bone dry.Dessert was sticky toffee pudding with “ice cream custard”.
Breakfast was equally as bad stone cold bacon, beans and I only looked at the sausage.
Can I just finish by saying it was the staff that I felt heart sorry for as they were constantly apologising.
This once grand old hotel needs a major overhaul, starting with a window cleaner to take in the views of Royal Troon golf club and the surrounding area.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple