All reviewscontinental breakfastfilter coffeepain au chocolatea ground floor roomguest house isrooms are comfortablepleasant staylong drivemisnomercerealcoast
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My wife and I stayed last night. [had booked online thro' booking.com- £60 for double room, B&B, seemed a v. good price]. We had eaten there a few years ago so were looking forward to an excellent evening meal and a few drinks before bed. However, we were disappointed to find on arrival that these facilities were no longer available, having ceased some 18 months earlier. We were directed to The Cottage & Restaurant in Maryburgh, some 6 miles away where we did have an excellent 3 course meal, but the 12 mile round trip was not what we wished for after our travel. Hostess of hotel was friendly and room was v. comfortable; did not have b'fast as we had to leave early. [Still charged £60 and noted on leaving that hotel notice shows B&B at £50 per night?]

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dickandjune
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We only came for lunch.
The lady who I suspect is the owner was an extraordinary mix of tolerant and intolerant.
We had been mountain biking and were rather muddy. She did not mind us coming into eat with mud on our clothes which was a plus but then again the place was empty so I imagine she was pleased to have some custom. As soon as my children got within 10 feet of the bar she bellowed at them to stay away from the bar as it was against the rules, scaring them. The food was barely adequate and overpriced. She not only told us which table to sit at but which seats we were each allocated. The restroom had 5 separate no smoking signs ! I went the wrong way to the restroom and headed for another door to be met with a stern "NO, its the other way." There are signs everywhere telling prospective guests what they can and cannot do. I would be terrified to stay here, god knows how many rules there are if you stay here ! the comments below about not being able to use the loo I can well belief. This place is for sale. I imagine that the owners want to become prison guards as this is their true calling.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank JohnLLondon
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We have visited the Achiliy Hotel on numerous occasions over the past 8 years. We have never had a bad meal and the chef in addition to his excellent culinary skills is also a comedian at heart.

We always come away in good spirits and what can be better after a good meal.

I read these other reviews with interest and cannot understand the mentality of those reviewers who only want to stop at a location for its toilets. What would these people do on a motorway when you just have to wait until the next services comes up. Strathpeffer is only 2 miles away if they are desperate.

Brian Heaton, Lancashire

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brianbeaver
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have dined at the Achilty Hotel for many years when I have stayed in the Contin area visiting my parents. I have always had what I can only describe as an outstanding meal on each and every occasion, accompanied by excellent service and hospitality. The chef and joint owner Chris always makes a point of welcoming his guests personally and both he and his wife Ethel not only make sure that everything is to your liking, but they will also go the extra mile and prepare something for you if you have a particular request. Nothing is too much trouble and the food is always delicious. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank BruceDorset
Reviewed 19 September 2009

We stopped at this hotel on Sunday 13th September. Holidaying in the highlands and en route to Inverness we decided to stop for Sunday luch. A party of 4 myself and my husband and my mum (disabled with arthritis and osteporosis with the added complication of a broken toe) and my dad 70 years old and diabetic. We drew up and dad got out, as mum takes some time to get herself mobile dad decided to go to toilet and organise a table for us. Dad went into hotel and came out soon after quite affronted and flabbergasted. He had entered restaurant and looking for toilet the 'lady' behind the bar - and some way away from him called over 'can I help' dad said we were looking for Sunday luch but wanted to use toilet. The lady said toilets are for customers and dad again siad we were coming fr=or a meal but he needed to use toilet. The lady then said 'I dont beleive you, you just want to use toilet and they are for customers. Dad, eing very embarrassed as this converstaion took place across the bar area and in a loud voice left the building and we agreed we did not want to stay there. We started to ove off and we decided 'no' we should talk to hotel recetion. The reception door was locked but as dad returned to car the 'chef' - in his checked trousers came out and asked if we a problem. Dad said yes he was trying to contact reception as he had just had a terrible experience in the restaurant. Dad then began to explain what happened when the chef shook his arms in the air and said ' Oh I've heard enough and walked away!!!!' Obviously this establishment values their customers highly- NOT!! I witnessed the converstaion with the chef and my dad is not prone to exaggeration - stay clear of this place. A warm welcome - not a chance. Customers are clearly viewed as liars and must only be visiting the hotel to use the toilet. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere but I would recommend they close their doors to the public as they are clealry an unwanted commodity in this business. I am writing this review 6 days after this disgraceful episode but I still feel very strongly about it today - all human beings deserve to be treated with respect not distrust. Never again will we consider this place and everyone we know who is thinking of a break in highlands will be well warned. I use facebook, twitter, friends reuntied as well as email - rest assured I will spread the word.
Kim Tate