“takes me back to the late 70s early 80s”
Review of Achilty Hotel

Achilty Hotel
Achilty Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Contin
Reviewed 27 July 2011

when you just used to turn up or see a hotel and stop and get booked in, paid £100 for 2 rooms, was very quiet and up for sale, was a real old fashioned place, dated and money needed to just tidy the edges, but this was fine for me, i like this type of small hotel, i dont mind it being dated as long as its clean and it was, room was ok, 1 room had bath mine had shower which was ok, breakfast was nice, in this internet dominated trade it was a nice change to see somewhere, stop haggle a bit on price and just get a reasonable nights sleep, the couple who owned it were reasonable people, though the guy did snap a bit at me, when i asked if it was quiet due to off the beaten track, he said it was on the busy road to ulapool !!, after a long drive up from north cumbria via glasgow, fort william and loch ness , it was just what was needed,
i guess small hotels like these are on the decline due to the bigger chains offering special internet rates, so was a welcome change to find a reasonable , small hotel with a bit of personality just like the owners.

Room Tip: phone them direct, and speak to them
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank exglobalagent

Reviewed 26 July 2011

My wife and I stayed last night. [had booked online thro' booking.com- £60 for double room, B&B, seemed a v. good price]. We had eaten there a few years ago so were looking forward to an excellent evening meal and a few drinks before bed. However, we were disappointed to find on arrival that these facilities were no longer available, having ceased some 18 months earlier. We were directed to The Cottage & Restaurant in Maryburgh, some 6 miles away where we did have an excellent 3 course meal, but the 12 mile round trip was not what we wished for after our travel. Hostess of hotel was friendly and room was v. comfortable; did not have b'fast as we had to leave early. [Still charged £60 and noted on leaving that hotel notice shows B&B at £50 per night?]

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dickandjune
Reviewed 2 November 2009

We only came for lunch.
The lady who I suspect is the owner was an extraordinary mix of tolerant and intolerant.
We had been mountain biking and were rather muddy. She did not mind us coming into eat with mud on our clothes which was a plus but then again the place was empty so I imagine she was pleased to have some custom. As soon as my children got within 10 feet of the bar she bellowed at them to stay away from the bar as it was against the rules, scaring them. The food was barely adequate and overpriced. She not only told us which table to sit at but which seats we were each allocated. The restroom had 5 separate no smoking signs ! I went the wrong way to the restroom and headed for another door to be met with a stern "NO, its the other way." There are signs everywhere telling prospective guests what they can and cannot do. I would be terrified to stay here, god knows how many rules there are if you stay here ! the comments below about not being able to use the loo I can well belief. This place is for sale. I imagine that the owners want to become prison guards as this is their true calling.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank JohnLLondon
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We have visited the Achiliy Hotel on numerous occasions over the past 8 years. We have never had a bad meal and the chef in addition to his excellent culinary skills is also a comedian at heart.

We always come away in good spirits and what can be better after a good meal.

I read these other reviews with interest and cannot understand the mentality of those reviewers who only want to stop at a location for its toilets. What would these people do on a motorway when you just have to wait until the next services comes up. Strathpeffer is only 2 miles away if they are desperate.

Brian Heaton, Lancashire

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank brianbeaver
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have dined at the Achilty Hotel for many years when I have stayed in the Contin area visiting my parents. I have always had what I can only describe as an outstanding meal on each and every occasion, accompanied by excellent service and hospitality. The chef and joint owner Chris always makes a point of welcoming his guests personally and both he and his wife Ethel not only make sure that everything is to your liking, but they will also go the extra mile and prepare something for you if you have a particular request. Nothing is too much trouble and the food is always delicious. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank BruceDorset
Also consider these accommodations in or near Contin
4.3 km away
1.4 km away
No photo provided
Highland Hideaway
#1 of 1 in Contin

Been to Achilty Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK