An perfect place to stay in every way...location, views and the house itself. It was a real treat to return to the super comfort of the Lodge each evening.
Fiona is a kind and friendly host.
Thank you so much.
This location was ideal for touring all of the Orkney Islands. The home was clean and we absolutely loved the bedding and towels. Such a small thing normally, but when they are that nice you take notice. Also, the shampoo and soaps supplied were fantastic. Little touches that made the stay phenomenal. Our family did a lot of bird watching while on the islands and the books supplied in the home were a tremendous help. Thanks for the stay. It was wonderful.
All the magic of Orkney. The lodge is on a working farm with views of rolling fields, pastures with lambs and cows, a loch and hills in the distance. It is modern, equipped with everything you'll need, and very comfortable in every way. It's close to Scarabrae, the Standing Stones of Brodgar and Stenness, Maes Howe and the Ness of Brodgar. All places you will want to visit. Stromness is nearby with shops and restaurants. We highly recommend Lenahowe. Would definitely go back.
I have a problem with allegedly 'luxury' self-catering accommodation that isn't as nice as my own home, but Lenahowe Lodges was fantastic in every way. The peaceful, beautiful location, the warmth and comfort of the flat, the well equipped kitchen, comfortable beds, shiny bathrooms with powerful showers and good wifi all made for a perfect holiday rental. Someone also arranged perfect weather for us, with spectacular sunset views and sunny days. The location is perfect for history fans like us who want to see the archaeological sites nearby and it's easy to drive into Stromness for shopping and eating out.
We stayed in No. 1 (upstairs) for a week and were extremely happy with the location and the accommodation.
Stunning views from the large windows (from the kitchen / sitting room and both bedrooms); very well-equipped kitchen (induction hob); fantastic family bathroom with separate bath and huge shower; handy ensuite (with smaller shower); plenty of drawer and cupboard space: airy, light and warm; this was somewhere you could happily live full-time. Wifi reception also fine.
The location was great, right in the centre of the western half of Orkney Mainland, so within easy reach of Kirkwall (about 40 minutes' drive away), Stromness (about 15 minutes), Birsay (15 minutes) and the Ness of Brodgar and Scara Brae (10 minutes).
We had a very happy week combining walking, wildlife watching, archaeological and other sites. Particular recommendations:
- drive to Scara Brae and park there, catch the bus (Mon, Thurs, Sat only) to Stromness and then walk 7-8 hours back along the coast to Scara Brae (Cicerone walking guide)
- drive to Stromness and catch the early morning (07:45) foot passenger ferry to Moaness, walk to Rackwick, and then along the coastal footpath to the Old Man of Hoy, then turn inland over St John's Head back down to Moaness and the tea-room that also sells beer (try the Scapa Special) before getting the 16:30 ferry back again
- in Stromness, the Museum and the Pier Art Centre are both really interesting (particularly liked the captions in both)
- tour of the Orkney Brewery and shopping trip to the Swannay Brewery (no tours possible)
- falconry display at Skaill House
- free guided tour of the dig at the Ness of Brodgar
In conclusion, Lenahowe Lodges and particularly no. 1 (larger, elevated so better views) is the perfect base for a holiday in Shetland. Highly recommended