I have a problem with allegedly 'luxury' self-catering accommodation that isn't as nice as my own home, but Lenahowe Lodges was fantastic in every way. The peaceful, beautiful location, the warmth and comfort of the flat, the well equipped kitchen, comfortable beds, shiny bathrooms with powerful showers and good wifi all made for a perfect holiday rental. Someone also arranged perfect weather for us, with spectacular sunset views and sunny days. The location is perfect for history fans like us who want to see the archaeological sites nearby and it's easy to drive into Stromness for shopping and eating out.
We stayed in No. 1 (upstairs) for a week and were extremely happy with the location and the accommodation.
Stunning views from the large windows (from the kitchen / sitting room and both bedrooms); very well-equipped kitchen (induction hob); fantastic family bathroom with separate bath and huge shower; handy ensuite (with smaller shower); plenty of drawer and cupboard space: airy, light and warm; this was somewhere you could happily live full-time. Wifi reception also fine.
The location was great, right in the centre of the western half of Orkney Mainland, so within easy reach of Kirkwall (about 40 minutes' drive away), Stromness (about 15 minutes), Birsay (15 minutes) and the Ness of Brodgar and Scara Brae (10 minutes).
We had a very happy week combining walking, wildlife watching, archaeological and other sites. Particular recommendations:
- drive to Scara Brae and park there, catch the bus (Mon, Thurs, Sat only) to Stromness and then walk 7-8 hours back along the coast to Scara Brae (Cicerone walking guide)
- drive to Stromness and catch the early morning (07:45) foot passenger ferry to Moaness, walk to Rackwick, and then along the coastal footpath to the Old Man of Hoy, then turn inland over St John's Head back down to Moaness and the tea-room that also sells beer (try the Scapa Special) before getting the 16:30 ferry back again
- in Stromness, the Museum and the Pier Art Centre are both really interesting (particularly liked the captions in both)
- tour of the Orkney Brewery and shopping trip to the Swannay Brewery (no tours possible)
- falconry display at Skaill House
- free guided tour of the dig at the Ness of Brodgar
In conclusion, Lenahowe Lodges and particularly no. 1 (larger, elevated so better views) is the perfect base for a holiday in Shetland. Highly recommended
Ideal position for visiting so many places on our list. Beautifully set up with everything you might need and warm and cosy on chilly nights.
5 star accommodation, linen/crockery/fittings very high spec, felt I could live there!! Views super, quiet location lots of places of interest nearby. Fiona was very, very welcoming but also left us in to it, great chocolate cake as a welcome. Took time out of her busy day to let us help with feeding orphaned lambs and tell us all about the farm. We will be back
What a find. Excellent accommodation, home from home and better. There was nothing to fault. We stayed for 4 nights and loved every minute of our stay. Excellent facilities from the well equipped kitchen to fabulous beds, great bathroom and lovely lounge. Fiona is very welcoming and bought us a delicious cake. We even got to feed the lambs and had a tour of the farm. These lodges are very near all the main sites and in beautiful Orcadian country side. We will be going back and certainly recommend to friends