Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
$77
View deal
Booking.com$89
Official Site$95
Orbitz.com
All reviews theme park complimentary glass of wine afternoon tea m ds scones ground floor walk in shower black pudding evening meal great value for money one night stay high standard agonda loch gary marquee wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 June 2022 via mobile

The staff were fantastic nothing was a problem to them the chef John was fantastic is food was second to nothing fantastic the staff in the restaurant were great helpful and again nothing was a problem Sarah in reception along with Meg were so helpful I would recommend anyone who was coming to Motherwell to stay here

Room tip: If you’re in Motherwell come and stay here it is definitely value for money
Date of stay: June 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2022

The hotel and surroundings are very pleasant, wish I could say as much for the staff.

On arrival, I checked in and the young girl in the reception seemed to have some issue finding my booking. Possibly this could have been due to work booking this, but I digress, I received no sense of welcome to the Alona.

I had a meal there food was quite good, but again the bar staff looked completely miserable. Later in the evening I went to the reception and ask for some tea bags milk and sugar they asked for my room number and said someone would bring them. 48 minutes later they arrived. When I'd gone to bed.

In the morning I went down for breakfast, as is was buffet style I got my breakfast on the way to my table I was approached by a girl member of staff with light brown hair in a bun. She asked she said "are you staying at this hotel", I replied yes. " She the said what room number then" I replied I watched him go to the lectern and I observed her running looking down the list. Manners are FREE, NO please or pleasantness in her voice in any way. she looked at me as if I shouldn't be staying at the hotel.

In the morning when checking out, so I could get a VAT receipt from my previous meal. This was after asking for a receipt the night before I was told that the till could not print it. I noticed when the girl in reception presented the machine for card payment that the bill was wrong. she said that was for the room also. The company I work for paid for the room the day before, It makes you think if this has happened before.

To summarise If I'd paid to stay there myself I'd be, beyond disappointed. Moreover, if I were to stay around that area again that is the last hotel on God's green earth I would ever consider staying in. You're in the hospitality business be hospitable, or at least get staff members that are. That includes all the staff that I had the misfortune of meeting during my stay, reception, bar staff and waitress.

A smile regales a smile, and furthermore, it's FREE.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2022 via mobile

Beautiful location, lovely staff and the food was amazing! Rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. Highly recommend this hotel. Free carpark is handy and breakfast offering was lovely and great value for money

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2022

Admittedly it's been a couple of years since we used The Alona as a stop off point to the Highlands, it used to be excellent.
Let's start with reception, we waited for five minutes behind another guest at reception then rather than attending to us, the gentleman at reception answered a ringing phone and spent another 5 minutes taking a booking, simple unacceptable.
The room was as always, spacious but oh dear, the bathroom! Brown and black stains on the sealant and a broken dirty shower hose.
We asked to change rooms, the manager tried 5 rooms before finding one with a bathroom that was more acceptable, but not by much.
We ate in the evening at the hotel, the food was O.K. but it was obvious the waiting staff had no guidance and it was descending into chaos.
The breakfast experience was depressing. This is a hotel, not a "greasy spoon" cafe. A few cereals on offer and fruit juice, no yoghurt or fresh fruit etc. A reasonable hot breakfast buffet served on cold plates, sliced bread to toast, nothing else, we asked for marmalade to be told they had none.
This hotel is in a great location and deserves better than being cut to the bone to make money, they are losing money because we won't be back.
One positive, the bed is very comfortable.

Room tip: Ask for clean bathroom
Date of stay: May 2022
Reviewed 26 May 2022

One night stay en route to Scottish Highlands. First impression - poor. Litter strewn around carpark and lots of crushed cigarette stubs around the main entrance. Receptionist polite and efficient. Told us a wedding party was booked into the ballroom but she had allocated us a room away from possible noise. Room warm and cosy with comfortable bed although the overall feel of the place was clean but shabby. At 6pm went to restaurant for dinner. Single waitress couldn't manage number of diners. Dinner was slow, 2 hours. The restaurant was being used as a thoroughfare by the wedding guests to get to the bar. Food was OK but nothing outstanding and very expensive. Wedding disco started at 8pm. The ballroom is a canvas marquee attached to the hotel and quite close to guest bedrooms. The noise levels in our room were bad and were massively intrusive preventing sleep. Expected this racket to stop at 11pm, after all even Glastonbury has to stop at 11pm in consideration of neighbours. It took almost an hour to contact any member of hotel staff only to be told the bar licence was extended to half past midnight. Staff member was not helpful and almost dismissive of my concerns. Disco did eventually shut down at 12:30am. Breakfast next day was not good. Heated products were mostly dried up, eggs looked awful, sausage like biscuits - the only things that was any good were the hash browns. Will not return under any circumstances, wedding or no wedding.

Room tip: Check if there is a wedding celebration during your stay, rooms at rear overlook canvas marquess ballroom.
Date of stay: April 2022