“Do the basics better...”

Brisbane House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Largs
Slaidburn, Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Do the basics better...”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I stayed over for a nioght as we attended a family wedding in Largs. We chose the Brisbane as the last time we stayed there we had a fantastic river view room oerlooking the firth of Clyde.
This time we weren't so lucky - maybe he vagaries of booking on line but we were facing out the back and next to the fire door on the first floor.
Our room was nicely decorated but basic, all we needed really for a single night stay and judging bythe noise the wedding party that was going on was obviously having a very good time...
While the rom was good the bathroom was in pieces - a hole in the ceiling had blu tack in to stop plaster dust falling, the shower was a mixer-nightmare tap, if you flushed the toilet the seat came flying down at you... (Rm 115).
When eating at night the girl cleaning the table next to us in the restaurant simply swept the food crumbs onto the floor!! The chap serving us was very good - Jordan - and he apologised but for a hotel of this size and decor the wine list was poor - about 8 of each plus Rose and champagne.
On serving the white wine was way above room temp and so needed an ice bucket and 10 mins to cool down. The meal was very good - we both had steak, cooked just as we asked - and with the extras we asked for too.
Breakfast was good, service a bit slow but there was only one person serving and it was fairly fiull - if you've a wedding on and foks staing don't you make provision for that?
On leaving neither Alli or I were asked if we'd enjoyed the stay... That's juts poor, basic customer service. If we'd been staying more than a single night we'd have made some noise about the above but would anyone have cared?
Overall I'd say the BHH needs to do more of the basics better - don't sweept crumbs onto the floor, keep the wine cooled, close the office door (throughout the stay you see into the office that was littered with paperwork and extremely untidy), ask your customers how they are, how the stay was and so on.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stuart M
managmentLargs, General Manager at Brisbane House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Stuart M
Thank you for reviewing the BHH, it is only through comments, such as yours that we can improve our product and service. If I may be permitted to respond. The BHH has 24 bedrooms of which 21 have been refurbished thoroughly the latter 3, including 115, are out to tender at present. As much as we would like to complete these jobs quicker, situations beyond our control have left us with 3 uncompleted.
Throughout the years the proprietor has owned the property various forms and sizes of wine list have been produced and the more compact, less expensive list has proved most successful. All white wine is kept in a chill unit and I can only assume that the bottle chosen by you can directly from the cellar because the last chilled bottle had been sold. This situation has been highlighted for training purposes.
With fewer than 20 guests staying on the evening of your visit it has been deemed that one server would be sufficient to serve breakfast.
I am perturbed that the receptionist did not enquire after your stay with us. If we do not enquire how can we respond or rectify any issues.

Regards

Martin Scollay
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Arrived here early April as part of our Easter Cruise, we pulled up in our Taxi and thought ...Ding Dang Doo....We walked into the Reception and I thought Ding Dang Doo as the Scrumptious Maureen was behind the desk . We were issued the keys and Bimbled upto our rooms on the first floor, after stripping down to my new pants so i could cope with the heat I scrambled to the Air Conditioner to try and reduce the temperature of the room to a simmer, AVAST I heard a little voice in my head, where is the remote control for this....and you can imagine my dissapointment when there wasn't one. Not to worry i'll flash up my Laptop and get on the Mushroom site....CHECK AWAY...couldn't pick up the WI-FI...oh dear. Apart from these irritating defects i did sleep well and i did enjoy the fantastic breakfast and i did enjoy looking at Maureen as i checked out, Once the heat issue is resolved and the remote controls for the Chillers are left in the room then this is an acceptable place to stay. SAT.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
liverpool
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I and my fellow ship mates stopped off in Largs as part of our Easter Cruise. We were really looking forward to our stay at the Brisbane. First impressions were admirable. A lovely contemporary lobby and a very charming receptionist. At this point we couldn’t wait to see our rooms. Then the very charming receptionist directed us to our rooms. We knew something was wrong when she told us we were out the back. I got to my room, initially things looked good, and then I closed the door. My god the heat hit me, it was hotter than the sun. Great I thought I have air conditioning. Yes I had air conditioning, but no way to control it. Ok I open the window, no can’t do that because of the kitchen noise. The longer I stayed in the room, the more I saw that wasn’t up to the same standard as the lobby. Some of the following are defects I can report: Random screws sticking out of the wall, stains on the ceiling and a random hole in the ceiling. The bed was very uncomfortable and with a classy plastic cover. The wi-fi could not be picked up in the room, I was only on the first floor. I’m sad to report all my ship mates had the same sort of shoddy standards.
I just wish our rooms were up to the same standard as their lobby and staff. Some of the rooms look really nice but, be warned some are not.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank grumpyoldgunner

Travellers are raving about these Largs hotels

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed here on a Friday night in February, we got it for the bargain price of £59 for B&B, which, overall, was excellent value for money. We booked the non-refundable option.

Our room was nice and it had a huge bathroom, only gripe being there was no bath (room 103.)

The Receptionist was very nice and pleasant as was the bar staff.

We ordered breakfast to our room (only an extra £3 pp tray charge) and well worth it as they stop serving breakfast at 9.30, which is a bit early after a night out!

Overall, lovely location, lovely hotel and we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: You have to get a front facing!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Just spent the last two nights in this hotel sharing a front facing twin room with a friend.
Bargain price at 55GBP per night (including breakfast).
Clean and tidy hotel, friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast was great for me - full scottish the first morning and eggs benedict the second. Also choice of Continental (but why would anyone choose that over a full Scottish??).
The room price was discounted at time of booking due to us willing to take the "non refundable if cancelled" option, which is why I mentioned it being a bargain price.
Just a little niggle though, maybe something could be done with the pointless dark brown wooden piece of wood that has been placed onto the bedroom wall (bathroom wall). When I say pointless piece of wood, it is there for the reason of hiding a hole in the wall, but unfortunately, it fails to do this - so a piece of wood attached to the wall plus a hole below that piece of wood... come on guys ;-)
Terrific shower, terrific room service, terrific views, terrific heating, terrific TV reception (yes, I've read some previous comments!!) and overall a very nice room.
Overall a great stay, great customer service from all staff and a very well organised and run hotel - compliments to all who made our stay very enjoyable. nearly forgot.... we stayed in room 102.
Enjoy the Brisbane House Hotel

Room Tip: obviously ask for a sea view... and if making reservation, also ask for the non refundable rate (but...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largs
1.0 km away
0.7 km away
Woodhouse Hotel
Woodhouse Hotel
#10 of 24 in Largs

Been to Brisbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK