“Fantastic setting, accommodation & hugely...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Willowbarn Rafford

Lounge kitchen
Lounge
Lounge
Aerial view of grounds
Especially for taking our younger guests for a cycle in Moray
Bike selection at Willowbarn, free usage for our guests
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
Des765
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Fantastic setting, accommodation & hugely welcoming hosts – great holiday.”
Reviewed 14 September 2015 for a stay in July 2015

This place is a gem of a find. The standard of the accomodation would test the standards of many "high class" hotels. The location is superb, peaceful & tranquil and an ideal base location for places from Loch Ness to Elgin & beyond.

The setting was a joy for our children as they had huge space to run free in a very safe and secure environment, and we had the choice of going to a different beach each day.

And praise for our hosts is a must too. Nothing was ever a problem. The phrase "heart-warmingly good people" springs to mind.

The ultimate question ... Would I like to return? For me it is a no-brainer ... most definitely.

Travelling group: Young Children
Families with young children
16 Sep 2015
Thank you for your lovely comments. We are so glad you all enjoyed Willowbarn and hope to welcome you all back again.

Fiona and Carlo
Scottishg...
scotland
“Beautiful location and extremely comfortable accommodation”
Reviewed 22 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We enjoyed our stay at Willowbarn. The hosts are very helpful and on hand with advice and ideas for things to do. Plenty of bikes etc available for use. Close to Findhorn where the beach is fab and there are good places to eat.

Travelling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
16 Sep 2015
Thank you for your positive comments. We are delighted you enjoyed Willowbarn and would love to welcome you back again.

Fiona and Carlo
Susiew3
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Perfectly positioned and luxurious”
Reviewed 4 June 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Had a great stay at Willowbarn, perfectly positioned for visiting just some of the many attractions Morayshire and the Highlands have to offer. Being members of Historic Scotland and National Trust gave us so many options for day visits, but as for the beaches - made sure we visited at least one a day!!! Accommodation superb, such comfy beds, very good layout, relaxing and very clean. Took our two dogs who loved Willowbarn's grounds as much as we did! Carlo and Fiona most welcoming and I would thoroughly recommend this destination to everyone. Hope to be making a return journey!

Liked best: Everything
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
7 Jun 2015
thank you for your kind comments. we very much appreciate your feedback, and hope we will welcome you back to Willowbarn in the future.
Donald C
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic chalet, hosts and setting.”
Reviewed 5 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015
person found this review helpful

I stayed in the Willow Barn for 12 nights in April 2015 for business, but because of the Scottish schools holidays my wife and two daughters were able to join me during the first week.

In short it was the most enjoyable two working weeks I've experienced and my wife and kids had a fabulous adventure in a wonderful converted barn in a beautiful setting.

I've worked and stayed in this area before but my previous lodgings were booked for part of my stay. I also knew my wife and kids would be able to join for one of the weeks that I was working so I wanted accommodation which was attractive, interesting, spacious, child friendly and close to local forests, beaches and attractions. The Willow Barn ticked all boxes and more and was very competitively priced - and I also have to compliment Carlo (the owner) for his prompt, friendly and enthusiastic communications; when you travel so much as I do, you kind of know when you find a gem!

I knew the area well so I was easily able to find the Barn in the forest on the edge of Rafford (4 miles south of Forres). And let me tell you, what a fantastic location. The Barn and owners house is surrounded by a beautiful and very large garden with ponds and magical little islands with joining wooden bridges; my kids loved these! This itself is surrounded by beautiful peaceful forests that you just know you are going to get a good nights sleep.

The Barn itself is a first floor conversion and in a word, is simply stunning, very spacious with two large double/twin bedrooms, one en-suite with an additional large family bath and shower room; both bathrooms are beautifully presented and one gives you the opportunity to bathe under the stars - ignoring the velux window in between. Great kitchen diner with all the mod-cons including oven, microwave, dish washer and access to washing machine and dryer in an adjoining cabin on the ground floor to the rear! My wife and I both appreciated this greatly and meant we had no need for a large washing on our return home - bliss! There is also a television with cable TV and Chromecast and a reliable wifi service - although you might have to reset the repeaters now and again. And the owners can supply a good range of DVDs for the kids.

A small thing I look for in holiday accommodation (ignoring the fact that I was on business) is quirkiness - something different from every day living but with the luxury and finish of a modern house and Willow Barn has that charm and uniqueness in spades - just look at the owners gallery.

My wife and kids had a wonderful holiday week visiting local castles (Brodie), stately homes and some stunning beaches including Findhorn and in particular Roseisle beach which is simply world class. They also enjoyed visits to the HIghland Wildlife Park south of Aviemore and the Landmark Centre in Carrbridge - all worthwhile visits. I must reiterate, you simply have to visit Roseisle beach during the day or for a stroll in the evening, it will take your breath away!

After returning my family to our home in outskirts of Glasgow, I returned for my second week in the Barn but brought my mountain bike with me. The area is superb for on and off-road cycling and the owners, Carlo and Fiona, are cycling enthusiasts and will give you great advice for short and long routes and point you in the right direction; they'll even give you a bike or two or more with helmets for free to use for your stay. Very thoughtful and quite unique!

During my week I cycled most of the Dava Way and back again (27 miles) in glorious evening sunshine with some beautiful views over the moors - remember to leave a comment in the Half-Way hut! I also cycled down the Dava way into Forres, then Findhorn and Roseisle beach (another good 24 mile loop) - cycling on the beach for part of the way. The following night I cycled to the Pluscardin Abbey in back partly though some forest tracks and roads - 18 miles. My only regret was not getting out for a cycle with Carlo and Fiona - but hopefully that will be rectified on my next visit in the summer. :-)

Last few words must go to our hosts, Carlo and Fiona, a truly welcoming and lovely couple who made our stay a happy and memorable one. They are ever so helpful with great advice and good chat and compliment the Barn so well - a wee gem as they say in Scotland;-)

A wee shout out for Sky and Cassie - two beautiful friendly black labs that my kids just loved and still talk about!

As for the business trip, who cares, everything else was perfect! I really really enjoyed my stay. Thanks Carlo and Fiona who I'm hoping deem this worthy of a free carton of Moray's finest ice-cream on my next visit (that's their other passion)! ;-)

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
10 May 2015
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It was a pure delight to read your comments and we really appreciate the wonderful feedback you gave us. We hope to welcome you all back soon. Fiona and Carlo
Karen T
Orkney Islands, United Kingdom
“Simply Perfect”
Reviewed 15 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Enjoyed our stay at Willowbarn. Quiet, scenic location. Warm, comfortable, beautifully furnished and very well equipped accommodation. Carlo and Fiona are very welcoming and friendly making the stay even more special. Our children aged 9 and 14 loved it too - especially the 9 year old as he was able to make use of the available bikes and DVDs!
Thank you!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet location and beautiful property
Liked least: nothing to dislike
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway
18 Apr 2015
Thank your for your kind comments. We were delighted to have met you all and thrilled you were so happy with your stay in Willowbarn. We look forward to you returning in the future. Fiona and Carlo
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing