New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

The Queensferry Hotel
AYR
“Never again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Facts: The carpets have seen better days, ranging from stained to downright filthy.
The voile curtains in our room were stained with "black stuff".
The carpet was quite stained and there was evidence of the same "black stuff.
The windows were dirty inside & out.
The receptionist printed off an evening meal menu around 4.30pm. I advised the girl attending to the bar & restaurant that I did not like onions & asked for an alternative to the dishes on the main course menu as we had paid for an evening meal with our booking - this was promptly agreed with the chef & fish & chips ordered.
We went to the bar for a drink to kill some time before the restaurant opened. The girl had to leave attending to setting up the tables in the restaurant to serve behind the bar. She advised there was no ice & when another guest asked for lemon in her drink she was told there was no lemon. THERE WAS NO APOLOGY NEITHER WAS THERE ANY OFFER TO OBTAIN EITHER ICE OR LEMON.
We arrived in the restaurant 5 mins. after it opened. The waiter took our order but returned almost immediately to advise my husband that there was no steak left & asked him to order something else.
He chose steak pie from a very limited menu which included "Bangers & Mash" priced at over £10!
Our meal was OK - just that, nothing special. Towards the end of the meal we became aware of a cold draught coming from the air conditioning. It was only about 10C outside but the air conditioning made the dining room feel colder than that.
We left & went to our room & turned on the radiator. It heated only at the bottom & we had to call for someone to come & bleed it. It took about a minute to release all the air & allow the radiator to heat.
The shower produced only a feeble luke warm mist when turned on full.
The buffet breakfast both days was luke warm and the plates were cold so that by the time you served yourself & returned to your table the food was quite cold.
We went through 3 door keys in 2 days as they failed to work. We were told the 1st time it was possible because we had kept it next to a mobile phone & mobile phones always wiped the keys rendering them useless. (We wondered why the receptionist failed to mention this when she first gave us the key.) With the second key we made sure it was nowhere near a mobile phone but still it failed resulting in a trail down from the second floor to reception as there were no internal phones connecting to reception in any of the corridors.
I certainly could not recommend this hotel and I most certainly will not be staying there again unless it is completely refurbished.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank P H
Paul S, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Thank you for your review .I acknowledge the content. While it it is never pleasing to hear when anyone's expectations have not been met when with us, be assured all you comment content is being addressed. please accept my appologies on this occasion.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Hungarian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I had a meeting here followed by lunch. Initial thoughts were a little dated, has seen better days and could do with a revamp. Ordered cappucinos, first time I have had syrup as a topping without even being asked. Afterwards, three of us had lunch, my wife and I had duck stir fry. However, each piece of duck had a third fat/grissle on it, the meat was overcooked and tough, but to be fair the noodles and sauce were nice, portions small and not worth the price tag! One positive to take, was the desserts were nice. Staff were slow, especially considering we were the only ones in the restaurant! Asked to sit at scenic corner section for the view, told it was flooded, when sitting at another table the bench was full of crumbs. Signs of water damage on ceilings in the restaurant. Service was slow, took one and a half hours to serve a main course and dessert with drinks for three people, as we were the only people in the restaurant - still empty!!! It was that slow that I had to go up to the bar twice to ask to pay my bill. The reason for holding my meeting here was to determine, if I were to use this venue for my training courses and/or my presentations. Unfortunately, although the location is ideal it falls very short off the mark!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank 63Andy
I have been afforded the opportunity to respond to Andy by email in person with the view to him joining a growing satisfied meeting and events regular client user group and to pave the way to reinstating his faith in the Hotel for his future use. Thanks for your comment content Andy and to be able to communicate directly with you.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Myself and my two teenage children have just spent a fabulous four day break at the Queens ferry hotel,  North Queensferry, Scotland. A beautiful, picturesque village, complete with vast beaches and interesting places to ramble.

From the first moments of our arrival at the Queensferry Hotel, we were greeted with big, bright smiles and fantastically helpful staff. For them "nothing was a problem" , our every request was met with a smile and it was obvious to see that they take pride in themselves, their hotel and the welfare of their guests

Our  room was very pleasant, clean with comfortable beds, I found there to be ample cupboard and drawer space for my belongings and an iron and a hair dryer, which was a godsend. a good selection of hot drinks, kettle and a yummy biscuits which were replenished every day. We had a beautiful view of the Firth of Forth and the Forth rail bridge, which was most picturesque at night.

I didn't use the room service facility however on the occasion,I did ring the reception , the hotel receptionist Leanne was a total whizz when it came to local knowledge, places of  interest and bus timetables. I felt very much at ease, especially having children with me, whom I also felt were made welcome. During my stay at the Queensferry Hotel  , two weddings took place. I was not disturbed by added noise or extra people, everyone was respectful and extremely considerate.

I wish I had had an opportunity to complement the chef on his culinary delights as the food was delicious  , wholesome and very competitively priced. A good and varied menu which changed on a daily basis, my only negative would have to be more vegetarian options.

I'm sure my children would agree with me. When I say the breakfast was first class. A choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast, teas, coffees and fruit juices. On top of that you could also partake in a full Scottish hot breakfast, which defiantly set you up for a days walking.

I would defiantly stay at Queensferry Hotel again in fact I am already planning my next trip in August. Thank you everyone for such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Katherine C
Paul S, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Thank you for your kind comments resulting from your recent visit to the Brook Queensferry Hotel. I have shared your views with all on the staff team, we find them helpful, encouraging and reflective of what we are trying to deliver for guests and their experiences when with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you in anticipation of any other guests visiting as a result of your comments.

Paul
Vienna, Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

If you are lucky enough to get a room on the left-hand side of the corridors, you can enjoy the one asset of this hotel: Breathtaking views of the Firth of Forth and the Forth Road Bridge. In almost all other aspects, you had better look elsewhere.
To begin with: The hotel is fairly inaccessible except by car. And even then you might have difficulty finding it, because its road name - St. Margaret's Head - is inofficial and not listed in most satnav systems. It's built into a small hill, so that reception can only be reached by a narrow staircase or an exceedingly slow and fairly small elevator. If - as happened in our case - there's a big function going on and many people need to use the lift, you are in for a long waiting period. Reception are quite kind, but understaffed. And then you need to get all your stuff to a second elevator to reach your room... So calculate needing almost an hour between arrival and sitting down in your room.
Rooms are fairly spacious, but everywhere, you can see "combat honours" from previous guests. Our room had stick-on patches in the wallpapering, old open holes for wallfixings and a carpet that was neither new nor clean, There were old boot-polish stains everýwhere, and sand and grit lying about. The bin still held remnants of the previous occupier's snacks, and there were dried-on food stains on the table...Add a dirty tea tray...
The bathroom - spacious, but showed signs of mould. The bathtub (no separate shower available) was extremely slippery, so the hotel had provided a shower mat. Unfortunately, this mat must have been on Noah's Ark, so old and mouldy was it.
Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant. Although there were only a few people having breakfast, we waited for almost 30 minutes to be asked for our choices, and then the meal itself took another half hour to appear on the table. It seems that only one person had to deal with cooking and serving the breakfast for about fifteen guests, and she had to keep an eye on reception as well... Even a sumptuous Full Scottish Breakfast should not take almost two hours to order, serve and consume!
One positive thing at the end: Staff were very aware of the shortcomings and were extremely willing to do everything in their power. But it seems that central Management think that a 100-bedroom 3-star hotel can be run by four people - and that just is not enough. A pity, because it could be a fascinating place.

Room Tip: Always ask for a sea view! Otherwise your room will face the hill and the bins!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank barliman2001
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My friend and I decided to travel to North Queensferry for a day trip and stopped off at The North Queensferry Hotel for lunch. We found the restaurant had lovely views of the Forth and the two bridges and the friendly staff were attentive and made sure we were well looked after during the afternoon. The food was delicious and my burger was fantastic - having an allergy to wheat, I was delighted to discover Chef did not use breadcrumbs in his burger, as so many chefs do to "bulk" out their less than perfect minced beef! My friend had a chicken salad which was crisp and the chicken moist and presented in a lovely way. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would highly recommend, especially on a rare sunny day - the views across the river are well worth a picture!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank lilmamaEdinburgh
Thanks for your comments on your recent visit. I am working to reposition the Hotel product on various aspects and to provide a delivery service to consistently meet all guest expectations on every visit. Clearly your visit has been caught up in the transitional period and has experienced a lapse in our progress. My apologies for this, note our New Menu is on the way soon coupled with service to match.

Paul
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,689 reviews
3.6 km away
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
The Woodside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Aberdour
6.6 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS Dunfermline Crossford Keavil House Hotel

Been to The Queensferry Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK