“Overpriced restaurant for what you receive!!!”

The Queensferry Hotel
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Overpriced restaurant for what you receive!!!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I had a meeting here followed by lunch. Initial thoughts were a little dated, has seen better days and could do with a revamp. Ordered cappucinos, first time I have had syrup as a topping without even being asked. Afterwards, three of us had lunch, my wife and I had duck stir fry. However, each piece of duck had a third fat/grissle on it, the meat was overcooked and tough, but to be fair the noodles and sauce were nice, portions small and not worth the price tag! One positive to take, was the desserts were nice. Staff were slow, especially considering we were the only ones in the restaurant! Asked to sit at scenic corner section for the view, told it was flooded, when sitting at another table the bench was full of crumbs. Signs of water damage on ceilings in the restaurant. Service was slow, took one and a half hours to serve a main course and dessert with drinks for three people, as we were the only people in the restaurant - still empty!!! It was that slow that I had to go up to the bar twice to ask to pay my bill. The reason for holding my meeting here was to determine, if I were to use this venue for my training courses and/or my presentations. Unfortunately, although the location is ideal it falls very short off the mark!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank 63Andy
Paul S, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
I have been afforded the opportunity to respond to Andy by email in person with the view to him joining a growing satisfied meeting and events regular client user group and to pave the way to reinstating his faith in the Hotel for his future use. Thanks for your comment content Andy and to be able to communicate directly with you.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Hungarian first
London
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Myself and my two teenage children have just spent a fabulous four day break at the Queens ferry hotel,  North Queensferry, Scotland. A beautiful, picturesque village, complete with vast beaches and interesting places to ramble.

From the first moments of our arrival at the Queensferry Hotel, we were greeted with big, bright smiles and fantastically helpful staff. For them "nothing was a problem" , our every request was met with a smile and it was obvious to see that they take pride in themselves, their hotel and the welfare of their guests

Our  room was very pleasant, clean with comfortable beds, I found there to be ample cupboard and drawer space for my belongings and an iron and a hair dryer, which was a godsend. a good selection of hot drinks, kettle and a yummy biscuits which were replenished every day. We had a beautiful view of the Firth of Forth and the Forth rail bridge, which was most picturesque at night.

I didn't use the room service facility however on the occasion,I did ring the reception , the hotel receptionist Leanne was a total whizz when it came to local knowledge, places of  interest and bus timetables. I felt very much at ease, especially having children with me, whom I also felt were made welcome. During my stay at the Queensferry Hotel  , two weddings took place. I was not disturbed by added noise or extra people, everyone was respectful and extremely considerate.

I wish I had had an opportunity to complement the chef on his culinary delights as the food was delicious  , wholesome and very competitively priced. A good and varied menu which changed on a daily basis, my only negative would have to be more vegetarian options.

I'm sure my children would agree with me. When I say the breakfast was first class. A choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast, teas, coffees and fruit juices. On top of that you could also partake in a full Scottish hot breakfast, which defiantly set you up for a days walking.

I would defiantly stay at Queensferry Hotel again in fact I am already planning my next trip in August. Thank you everyone for such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Katherine C
Paul S, General Manager at The Queensferry Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Thank you for your kind comments resulting from your recent visit to the Brook Queensferry Hotel. I have shared your views with all on the staff team, we find them helpful, encouraging and reflective of what we are trying to deliver for guests and their experiences when with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you in anticipation of any other guests visiting as a result of your comments.

Paul
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 12 April 2012

If you are lucky enough to get a room on the left-hand side of the corridors, you can enjoy the one asset of this hotel: Breathtaking views of the Firth of Forth and the Forth Road Bridge. In almost all other aspects, you had better look elsewhere.
To begin with: The hotel is fairly inaccessible except by car. And even then you might have difficulty finding it, because its road name - St. Margaret's Head - is inofficial and not listed in most satnav systems. It's built into a small hill, so that reception can only be reached by a narrow staircase or an exceedingly slow and fairly small elevator. If - as happened in our case - there's a big function going on and many people need to use the lift, you are in for a long waiting period. Reception are quite kind, but understaffed. And then you need to get all your stuff to a second elevator to reach your room... So calculate needing almost an hour between arrival and sitting down in your room.
Rooms are fairly spacious, but everywhere, you can see "combat honours" from previous guests. Our room had stick-on patches in the wallpapering, old open holes for wallfixings and a carpet that was neither new nor clean, There were old boot-polish stains everýwhere, and sand and grit lying about. The bin still held remnants of the previous occupier's snacks, and there were dried-on food stains on the table...Add a dirty tea tray...
The bathroom - spacious, but showed signs of mould. The bathtub (no separate shower available) was extremely slippery, so the hotel had provided a shower mat. Unfortunately, this mat must have been on Noah's Ark, so old and mouldy was it.
Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant. Although there were only a few people having breakfast, we waited for almost 30 minutes to be asked for our choices, and then the meal itself took another half hour to appear on the table. It seems that only one person had to deal with cooking and serving the breakfast for about fifteen guests, and she had to keep an eye on reception as well... Even a sumptuous Full Scottish Breakfast should not take almost two hours to order, serve and consume!
One positive thing at the end: Staff were very aware of the shortcomings and were extremely willing to do everything in their power. But it seems that central Management think that a 100-bedroom 3-star hotel can be run by four people - and that just is not enough. A pity, because it could be a fascinating place.

Room Tip: Always ask for a sea view! Otherwise your room will face the hill and the bins!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank barliman2001
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 April 2012

My friend and I decided to travel to North Queensferry for a day trip and stopped off at The North Queensferry Hotel for lunch. We found the restaurant had lovely views of the Forth and the two bridges and the friendly staff were attentive and made sure we were well looked after during the afternoon. The food was delicious and my burger was fantastic - having an allergy to wheat, I was delighted to discover Chef did not use breadcrumbs in his burger, as so many chefs do to "bulk" out their less than perfect minced beef! My friend had a chicken salad which was crisp and the chicken moist and presented in a lovely way. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would highly recommend, especially on a rare sunny day - the views across the river are well worth a picture!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank lilmamaEdinburgh
Thanks for your comments on your recent visit. I am working to reposition the Hotel product on various aspects and to provide a delivery service to consistently meet all guest expectations on every visit. Clearly your visit has been caught up in the transitional period and has experienced a lapse in our progress. My apologies for this, note our New Menu is on the way soon coupled with service to match.

Paul
General manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We were planning on a impusive overnight stay close to Edinburgh where we stay so decided to check out the Brook.
I assumed that if they look after a party of four for food then the hotel would be great - we decided overwhelmingly not to stay!!

The food in the restaurant which does have a fantastic view was less than basic to say the least, we ordered 2x BBQ chicken burgers @ an incredible £10.95 each, expecting at least a quality burger for the price.
The chicken was around half a filet in size, absolutely no taste and well overpriced. The decor reflects what the others reviews say in that it is tired and grubby.
All the staff are miserable and even though there were only 3 customers in the empty plates still sat on the table for a considerable time, we eventually had to go up to the bar to pay, when we did the immensely overpriced bill gave us a near heart attack! £4 for a lager and £3 for a soft drink!!

My advice travel a bit further in your journey and spend the money elsewhere, McDonalds do a better meal for half the price!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7.8 km away
Aberdour Hotel
Aberdour Hotel
#1 of 3 in Aberdour

Been to The Queensferry Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK